Forum Improvement Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hello Everyone!

Here we talk about things to improve upon in our forum. Remember, please suggest stuff in order of priority :)

Things i can think of right away:

1. Upgrade vBulletin.
2. Fix issues like attachments, AJAX etc.
3. Prune old posts.
4. Add Anti-Spam plugins/mods.

Keep the suggestions coming, ill keep updating this post with the high priority suggestions :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Do something about Spam. If there as Askimet equivalent for vBulletin, please install it. :|
Also Please care to explain why the forum goes down when it goes down that is...:?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
1] Fix the Views=Replies+1 bug.

2] Error on posting a visitor message on a member's profile, even though the message gets posted.

3]New smilies

Will add more.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well I had posted it in d previous thread too, no one cares reading long posts...too lazy eh, to bring change:mad:

1>close the thread older than 1 year. Let them be for viewing only. A simple sql query will do that if there is no option in vBulletin (by ichi)

2>But don't close a currently opened thread in Chit Chat unless it becomes stale(after 2-3 days if it doesn't get buried itself) and you thought it was another spam kinda thread made by genuine members (by ichi)

3>The admins can include a box that displays the forum rules one at a time like a "Tip of the Day" box. (by Alexanderthegreat)

4>Close the thread if more than two guys report about it. And if everyone is happy then atleast let the thread run for 2-3 days and sink to the bottom by itself or close it manually by 4th day if mods suspect it to be buried deep. (by ichi)

5>Move it to the top of the page where it is easily visible and update that option to have negative ratings as well.
* 1 to 0 to +5 with zero being the default rating of every thread.
* After 1 page of replies:
* If the ratings go negative, thread gets deleted.
* If the ratings stay at zero with votes, thread gets locked.
* If the ratings stay at zero without votes, thread continues.
* If the thread does not finish 1 page of replies after 3 days, thread continues unless it comes under rule 1 or 2.
* Any positive ratings(1 to 5) let it be the criteria for the thread starter to judge how his/her thread is received by other members, with the thread being allowed to continue. (by afonofa)

6>A new rating in the thread rating system should be added. It should be named "Spam". AND, in case a thread gets too many Spam ratings, it should be... wait for it... AUTOMATICALLY deleted. I can already see some wise guys pointing out how that would help the spammers to delete posts too. Well, I would like to suggest that new members should not be permitted to rate the thread as a "Spam".

7>We can let mods vote for these old faithful people. Once those old faithfuls are selected, THEY can vote for more in the future. See a pattern emerging? (by Alexanderthegreat)

8>There are not enough smileys! Instead of providing us with the same smileys with different code, TDF admins should replace repeated smileys with smileys for things like rofl and a better smiley for lol. (by Alexanderthegreat)

9>Though I have set reply notification for subscribed threads to email me the moment someone replies, but I hardly get instant notifications. At times, it's after 5-6 hours after reply is made. Using gmail ID. Never got any notification when I provided a @luckymail.com id as my email address. (by thinkFree)

din

Tribal Boy
Something about mods - Please feel free to ignore / delete if this is not a good idea.

Members can nominate other members whom they think - good for moderating the forum. Like who are not too strict but not too liberal, who is impartial, having patience, not a khaitan-boy :) and above all, who can spend some time to cleanup threads and manage forum in a nice manner.

Once the majority go with some names, they (mods themselves) can decide the time at which they can be online, like some may be able to spend time for forum in the morning, and some in the afternoon. If they manage the timing like shift, it will be very nice.

Just my suggestion.

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
Extend section into further sections in the forum. Like from hardware to graphics card, cpu and mobo, overclocking etc.

Keep separate mods for different sections.

The forum should have new and a lighter skin.(Optional)

One more thing. There should me some sort of plugin builtin that allows members to chat.

Last edited:
OP
kalpik

kalpik

Well I had posted it in d previous thread too, no one cares reading long posts...too lazy eh, to bring change:mad:

1>close the thread older than 1 year. Let them be for viewing only. A simple sql query will do that if there is no option in vBulletin (by ichi)
Dont know how it will help, plus sometimes threads need to remain open.
2>But don't close a currently opened thread in Chit Chat unless it becomes stale(after 2-3 days if it doesn't get buried itself) and you thought it was another spam kinda thread made by genuine members (by ichi)
Didnt really understand this :|
3>The admins can include a box that displays the forum rules one at a time like a "Tip of the Day" box. (by Alexanderthegreat)
I really think this is kinda annoying :p
4>Close the thread if more than two guys report about it. And if everyone is happy then atleast let the thread run for 2-3 days and sink to the bottom by itself or close it manually by 4th day if mods suspect it to be buried deep. (by ichi)
Wont work well in such a huge forum.
5>Move it to the top of the page where it is easily visible and update that option to have negative ratings as well.
* 1 to 0 to +5 with zero being the default rating of every thread.
* After 1 page of replies:
* If the ratings go negative, thread gets deleted.
* If the ratings stay at zero with votes, thread gets locked.
* If the ratings stay at zero without votes, thread continues.
* If the thread does not finish 1 page of replies after 3 days, thread continues unless it comes under rule 1 or 2.
* Any positive ratings(1 to 5) let it be the criteria for the thread starter to judge how his/her thread is received by other members, with the thread being allowed to continue. (by afonofa)
Rating system is already there. Im sorry, but i dont think its a good idea to automate stuff based on ratings.
6>A new rating in the thread rating system should be added. It should be named "Spam". AND, in case a thread gets too many Spam ratings, it should be... wait for it... AUTOMATICALLY deleted. I can already see some wise guys pointing out how that would help the spammers to delete posts too. Well, I would like to suggest that new members should not be permitted to rate the thread as a "Spam".
Again, this would not work in such a huge forum. A lot of potential to get misused.
7>We can let mods vote for these old faithful people. Once those old faithfuls are selected, THEY can vote for more in the future. See a pattern emerging? (by Alexanderthegreat)
Again, possibility of misuse.
8>There are not enough smileys! Instead of providing us with the same smileys with different code, TDF admins should replace repeated smileys with smileys for things like rofl and a better smiley for lol. (by Alexanderthegreat)
Already answered. Low Priority.
9>Though I have set reply notification for subscribed threads to email me the moment someone replies, but I hardly get instant notifications. At times, it's after 5-6 hours after reply is made. Using gmail ID. Never got any notification when I provided a @luckymail.com id as my email address. (by thinkFree)
I get instant notifications.

I am really sorry i rejected all your suggestions, but you have to understand that when we are asking the admins of something, please be sure its something easily implementable. We do not want to overwhealm our beloved admins! :)

Something about mods - Please feel free to ignore / delete if this is not a good idea.

Members can nominate other members whom they think - good for moderating the forum. Like who are not too strict but not too liberal, who is impartial, having patience, not a khaitan-boy :) and above all, who can spend some time to cleanup threads and manage forum in a nice manner.

Once the majority go with some names, they (mods themselves) can decide the time at which they can be online, like some may be able to spend time for forum in the morning, and some in the afternoon. If they manage the timing like shift, it will be very nice.

Just my suggestion.
Din, appreciate your suggestion. But i think this is something that needs to be discussed in private. If we open the option for people to vote, it again becomes open to misuse. I just want you to know that you have to trust us (the admins and the current MODs) to make the right decisions for the forum. In fact, apart from the parameters you mentioned, there are a whole lot of parameters that go into the decision of selecting a MOD. I hope you are convinced with what im saying. Still, if you think you need to clarify, im open to it! But plese send me a PM regarding it :)

Extend section into further sections in the forum. Like from hardware to graphics card, cpu and mobo, overclocking etc.
Can be added, but IMO its low priority.
Keep separate mods for different sections.
This kinda restricts moderation. Has been discussed both internally as well as externally.
The forum should have new and a lighter skin.(Optional)
Agree, but im not sure it will happen :)
One more thing. There should me some sort of plugin builtin that allows members to chat.
Come to the IRC #think-digit on freenode!

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^^No issues mate, I guess u know d diff. b/w "Suggestion" and "Demand"

Suggestions keeps d path open to choose among proper opinions...

Again, d suggestions u commented as "Not possible for huge forum" and "misuse of power" are they really impossible?
I'm not a blogger so can't comment on what is problem for huge forum but in case of "misuse of power" u ask us believe in u (not only u but all), if its a vote and all mods are voting, how can one do monopoly there...
and about "Automation" of things...its a matter of time, all things that can be automated will be automated...:rolleyes:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
1. The forum is little slow (in term of loading)... either because of theme or server load.
2. Increase PM size.
3. Allow BB code for signature with restriction on images, html, flash, font size.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I request a Complete Overhaul of current Forum Structure.
we need to add new sections for many topic like Internet & ISP Talk, Feedback Corner for forum related issues etc.
also, need we remove few redundant ones.

And organize it, to get a clean Layout

If admins are ready, we can a detailed discussion on this.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

1. The forum is little slow (in term of loading)... either because of theme or server load.
I think its the theme. There are workarounds in the tutorials section ;)
2. Increase PM size.
Its a big thing to do. Dont know if its possible. Depends on the infrastructure.
3. Allow BB code for signature with restriction on images, html, flash, font size.
Low Priority.

we need to add new sections for many topic like Internet & ISP Talk, Feedback Corner for forum related issues etc.

Agreed. But again, i think this wont happen. At least in the near future. :(

Last edited:

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़

Reorganizing the forum structure will need someone to manually move every thread between forums. It will be very tedious task and not worth the effort.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Do little by little at leisure :) No need to do it all at once.

I am quite optimistic this time. Will see if any new thing happens in a week.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
If time if not there, we can adopt Ubuntu Forums method of Archiving old threads and then Switch to a cleaner Layout.

we should let 'lazyness' come between to betterment. Also we have so many highly motivated members who can be trusted to do this tedious task.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Point SYsTem

Awards given based on work done

Contest be help regularly

Elect NEW MODS / ADMINS ( ban inactive admins who simply work in digit and have nothing to do or dont know wht to do in this forum )

Theme should be changed *************

let them do this first.. then will psot the rest..

as usual they wont care about our thoughts......

so its simply waste of thread,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom