FC 6 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathik

Google Bot
i just got a copy of fc6.... and i installed it on a frends pc... it worked absolutely fine...
now wen i installed it on my pc he installation went fine but now wen i boot into fc6 i get a black blank screen.... wats the prob????
graphic drivers??? :(
pls help

OP
Pathik

Pathik

Google Bot
INTEL P4 2.4ghz...
Asrock 845gv mobo... onboard 64mg gfx..
512 mb ddr ram...
LG 14" CRT.......
wat else???
hey tyf pls help me yaar... i want to run fc6 very desperately... :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't see anything that can go wrong here. Do you have a graphics card? Does it throw an error of 'Frequency out of range' or such?
Do some other distros work?

OP
Pathik

Pathik

Google Bot
nope no gfx card....
well ubuntu 6.06 didnt work...
mandriva 2006, suse 10.1, fc2, ubuntu 6.10 worked....
ny soln???

mehulved

Check if this helps *mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/linuxers/Week-of-Mon-20050613/046377.html
Press ctrl+alt+F1 or F2 to go to a virtual terminal. type lspci there. Is the output similar to one given there. If not, try the solution given in the last line.

legolas

Padawan
the problem i read so far is that FC6 was released in a hurry while mandriva has done it perfectly. especially the device driver settings and the desktop effects and also the i586/i686 issue is totally void in mandriva. so some systems might have problems with the iso of FC6. though , i dint face this problem. try to some how get the updates of fedora and install it either after the actual installation or somehow infuse it with the old iso, if possible or get an updated iso. that should also fix u tons of problems which i solved one by one off late! :(

/legolas

OP
Pathik

Pathik

Google Bot
tyf.. Wen i open the virtual terminal i cant type nything in it.. I can just see the text that comes during the loading.. Its enlarged.. And the last line is ..mount:cannot mount block device /dev/hd... I cant read the part after hd

mehulved

Which vertual terminal? Try ctrl + alt + F2 or F3 or even F4. I don't know about FC properly. I guess one should be free.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
pathiks said:
mount:cannot mount block device /dev/hd... I cant read the part after hd

problem wid physical connection of the hdd?? or mebbe some error during installation??? looks like that.... try to load linux in console mode, instead of gui while booting from the boot loader.
512 MB RAM
intel D845GVSR
should FC6 work flawlessly on my computer???

config is fine enough to run fc6. but dunno if u can enable compiz wid the default drivers on 845. some 845 user will be able to help u wid compiz. otherwise if fine enough.

Last edited:

mehulved

pathiks, can you check which PATA controller you have? A person on ILUG-BOM says he had a problem with FC6 and his PATA controller - JMicron.
Here's the thread *mm.ilug-bom.org.in/pipermail/linuxers/Week-of-Mon-20070115/057449.html
His username on the forum is daj. In case you need to contact him, you can get his e-mail address from there.

OP
Pathik

Pathik

Google Bot
hey but the installer recognized my hdd immediately.. Unlike in the case of daj.. I installed it using the isos on my hdd.. Neways how do i check wich pata controller i hv?? Afaik asrock has its own controller

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Try this...

1)Boot from a live cd (Ubuntu 6.10, knoppix etc.)
2)Mount your Fedora Installation partition.
3)Open the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (Fedora)
4)Now search for this section...
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
Driver "i810"
EndSection
5)Change "i810" (different in your case) to "vesa"
6)Reboot

mehulved

It seems like a problem with the hard drive. As infra_red_dude pointed out, I had missed it completely
mount:cannot mount block device /dev/hd
So, one or more of the partition isn't mounting. Thus everything is stuck. Maybe it's the / partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom