[FAQ] Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Re: [FAQ] Rooting, Custom Recovery, Custom Rom and Android Glossary

Anyone here using Jelly Bean (4.1) in SGS (I9000)? CAn you tell me some stable custom ROMs?

Arnab boss

In the zone
re: Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

hi is it safe to root a phone within warranty periods....as the service sentre says it wont provide any warranty if the phone bricks..!! i hav got galaxy y pro duos and downloaded the latest firmware from xda forum but could do it as fearing the warranty would void..!!

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

ask the service center how will they find if a bricked non working mobile was rooted. a failed update from KIES will brick mobile too. and rooting doesn't brick mobile. usually it makes it unbootable and you'll have to reflash the factory image again.

rahul_c

Journeyman

I had rooted my phone a while back but I've been using the official ROM since then. Now I am getting bored of gingerbread on my LG Optimus Net, does my phone supports ICS? Will it become bloated since ICS is considered "heavy"?

rahul_c

Journeyman

So I can update to ICS :bananana:, any of you guys using LG optimus one or net /w ICS?

Just installed ROM manager, when I select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" it asks for phone model, which one should I choose? Mine LG optimus net is not listed. And about how much data will be downloaded, I have a limited plan on mobile.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
check if Amonra recovery is available. CWM didn't work properly for me almost bricking my optimus one twice. Rom size will be 100-110MB.

rahul_c

Journeyman

check if Amonra recovery is available. CWM didn't work properly for me almost bricking my optimus one twice. Rom size will be 100-110MB.

Yeah me too almost bricked my phone using CWM so had to re-flash. Lost everything :-o on SD card and phone memory. I will use Amonra from now on, which ROM should I use? I've found these, cant decide...

i rooted my samsung galaxy fit(GingerBread) today
i installed ROM manager from Google Play but Clockworkmod Recovery was not showing my device. So I installed "Clockworkmod Recovery 5 " manually by the help of
Now what should I do ?

also this video >>How to install Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 Beta 7 on Samsung Galaxy FIT [Camera is not working]
if i do this how to UNDO it ?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

^^Now go to Galaxy Fit GT 5670 Android Development - xda-developers and find a ROM you'd like to use.

Read the comments and Changelog on respective ROM Threads to know what's working and whether the ROM is stable before flashing.

BTW Some Imp. links for you...

1. WARNING : ROM Manager - xda-developers <= DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER

2. ♛ Official Cyanogen Mod [UPDATE 2012-08-12] - xda-developers <= OFFICIAL CM 7.2

3. Last But Not the Least, Index of all the ROM's being developed for your phone => [INDEX] Links To All Custom ROM's, RECOVERY's, Kernel's etc. - xda-developers

4. Finally if you would like to Test Out JB => [DEV][Jelly Bean] CyanogenMod 10 [04.08.2012 - nightly] - xda-developers

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

go to backup and restore. and take backup including android_secure (thats the apps you have in memory card). once done, memory card will have a nandroid folder. save it to your PC, just in case. download rom you like and flash after wiping (or do factory reset from wipe menu). if you don't like and want to go back to official rom, go to custom recovery > backup and restore > restore > select whatever appears. done.

after installing clockworkmod do I need to wipe cache and/or data ?

in backup and restore, when I backup
Code:
Backing up recovery image...
Backing up system...
Can't mount /system!

and no Nandroid folder is created

??????

any idea ??

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ no. just before flashing any rom you must wipe the cache. may skip data if you are upgrading within the same tree (Android 4.0.3 to Android 4.0.4 or so). But if upgrading from official to custom, do wipe everything.

mounting the system failed. once mounted the recovery image can be created else not possible. i'll check with my recovery and then tell you whats wrong. else check if there is any option to manually mount /system (AmonRa recovery have it).

i wiped data/cache now its booting again and again
what should i do ?

ok now installed Official Cyanogen Mod [UPDATE 2012-08-12] from xda's site(thanks to krishnadu)
quoted from xda forum
Finally, CM Team released the OFFICIAL BUILD Of CM 7.2.0 for our Galaxy Fit.

FASTEST ROM FOR GALAXY FIT.
I got a quadrant advanced Benchmark Score of 2300+.
BEST & PURE CM EXPERIENCE EVER

All credits to tj-style & Cyanogen Team.

DOWNLOAD NIGHTLY BUILD FROM-

CyanogenMod Downloads
Most Recent Update-**2012-08-12**

i was not able to backup my default ROM(samsung nandroid)
so how to get it back ??

got it from xda

Last edited:

yesterday i was charging my phone, when i touched the phone it was very hot, it did not respond so i took out the battery and tried to boot but it just showed the samsung logo
i entered recovery tried to wipe cahce..ok done but while wiping data(reset) it stuck on Formatting /data

So i flashed again with the stock ROM with ODIN but then also its not booting..
I tried stock recovery as well as CWM recovery both not working

any idea??

SAMSUNG GALAXY FIT
STOCK ROM

----------------------------------------------------
problem solved by flashing Froyo first

Last edited:

duke123

In the zone
Re: Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

hi i brought a xperia u...i want to root it....which is the best method available for xperia u???..is it reversible...????
please help me....

Ayuclack

*qwich.in

Any One Has Any Idea On This as I Need to flash My Tab .... Seems Problem on all Samsung Devices.....

Need Sugestion
Should I Upgrade to offcial ICS for the tab with root (no CWM)
or Leave it to Hony Come (with Root)

Here Is The LiNK

ajaymailed

In the zone

just when i thought video app couldn't any better, i came across MX Player, if your looking more features than stock player then this is the one . You can so easily control brightness, sound, seek any position in the video, zoom in, zoom out, even have subtitles. Pretty great app.

Top Bottom