Engineers are over-rated.

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Engineers are over-rated. Period. And in India, producing them has become a business – Go towards the south, Chances are you might find an Engineering College at places where there are no Hospitals ! This is a very disturbing trend. It has reached a stage, where we are looking at saturation as well as a burst of this Engineering bubble. Last year , Out of 750 Engineering Colleges in Andhra Pradesh itself – An Estimated 300 of them went without a single admission. And in spite of that , Andhra Pradesh remains one of the largest Engineer producing states. I won’t be surprised, if in the coming days – you will read “Andhra Pradesh is the largest producer of Engineers in India” in Geography Lessons.

A Disturbing trend, is the cross-platform support in Engineering. Confused ? Look at the Top IT Companies in India. You see Engineers of all type . Mechanical , Industrial , Chemical , Electrical and Civil among other branches working on Software . Testing it , Building it . No Offense meant , but aren’t you guys supposed to build something in your own fields ? . This trend shows right in the syllabus they are taught . Why in the world, does a Mechanical Engineer needs to learn C++ ? Computer Science Engineers are not taught about Heat Induction or any other stuff like that , are we ?

Read : Source Article

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh wow thats not a source for anything, its a blog lol, but ok v nid somebody to wield the wrenches

Sarath

iDota
I remember they lowered the cut off for Eng seats in AP to get more students in these colleges. A wild guess would be some 40 or 50 / 160 for the CET qualification.

aloodum

Journeyman
as long as employment opportunities come more from software, you will continue to see the same trend.

Had the case been like building milk cans providing max employment, mr kartik would have asked why a electrical engg is designing a miklk can?
Get the drift.

its a simple case of supply and demand.Cream college passouts rarely go for this kind of jobs .The vaccum is mostly filled by private engg college passouts.

red dragon

Master troll
Engineers in IT still make sense.
What about engineers after doing MBA working in multinational banks?!

What is the point is wasting 4 years in engineering college,if the primary aim is to work in a big multinational bank?

Actually I do not understand why engineers go for MBA?
Don't give the bul!&h%t about their superior analytical approach.
People from other professions can be equally good in that.
Is it only about money?
Are not they well paid without a MBA?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
I smell something burning!
:p

anyways, most mech. engg. start their career in "Service" field, then move onto Marketing.
When they get into marketing, the knowledge they have about all the engines, parts, chassis.... come real handy. and the laloo lals in service field cant fool them(making money), since the mech engg already knows wtf goes where/part cost/life...

same applies for other engg - EEE, ECE...

mitraark

Decrepit
Unfortunately a lot of private Engineering colleges are popping up and their sole purpose is to do business by addmitting students by 'Management Quota' , students from those institutions dilute the quality of Engineers and give us a bad name.

The goverment shouldd impose strict criteria and limitations to the no. colleges being opened.

And about the thing Engineers opting for MBA , it's their choice to make :( Non-engineer MBA Aspirants might snob but they were just not good enough :(

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Actually Engineers are under-rated in India. Wrt, quality of education in most of collages, and the salary wise.

thatsashok

peace panda
I smell something burning!
:p

anyways, most mech. engg. start their career in "Service" field, then move onto Marketing.
When they get into marketing, the knowledge they have about all the engines, parts, chassis.... come real handy. and the laloo lals in service field cant fool them(making money), since the mech engg already knows wtf goes where/part cost/life...

same applies for other engg - EEE, ECE...

Nowadays people are starting out in Delloite, ZS and Mu sigma just after B.Tech and the problem they have is they cant even shift back to their service field.

reniarahim1

Youngling
Do u have the figure on the ratio of no of engineering students getting in vs the no of engineers that actually pass out. that should tell the story.

In my view the most over-rated are MBA graduates.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Engineers are under-rated coz there are not enough jobs and I must say well paid jobs for each of the fields in Engg except for the IT sector.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am a nord.:)

You need an arrow to the knee.

I have done engineering myself, from a private college. I have seen the extent to which the management goes to gather students and how it seeks to increase fees every year, while maintaining the same low standard of education. Also, the university prescribes a jurassic syllabus, with changes in only a few chapters and not reflecting the latest trends in engineering and technology.

Our college didn't even have a permanent principle. The advertisement propaganda could rival IIPM's ads. Engineering education is a lucrative business and everyone wants a piece of the action. Plenty of management seats accompanied with reservation has lead to blokes who are engineers in name only.

doomgiver

Warframe
Engineers are over-rated in India

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Btech Engineer" bullshit that's going on in India right now. engineers deserve much worse than that. Much, much worse than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself enrolled for a btech course for ~0.6M rupees(that's about $15000) and have been studying it for almost 3 years now. I can't even manage to understand what my teacher is trying to say.

kids spend 4 years studying for impossible and unrelated tests and read outdated books up to a million times to produce some of the dumbest pieces of $#!7 known to mankind.

engineers are barely half as sharp as ivy league graduates and twice as rude for that matter too. Anything a ivy league grad can do, a btech engineer can't do it at all. I'm pretty sure a btech engineer would burn out trying to match the skills of a proper ivy league student.

Ever wonder why every single btech grad is in corporate business? That's right, they are too noob to innovate like the murricans do. Even in USofA, ivy league grads are snapped up faster than btech grads, coz their coding power is feared and respected.

So what am I saying? btech engineer is simply the worst herd mentality that india has ever seen, and thus, requires less attention in india. Here is the stat block I propose for btech grads:

drink all day(-5 intelligence)
fat (-2 agility)
wears glasses (+1 nerd)
owns a mac (-9001 respect)
"we must format this" (suicide skill, character is deleted)

Now that seems a lot more representative of the power of btech grads in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = btech engineers need to do much more to deserve what they have, see my new stat block.

...... hilarity ensues

Top Bottom