El Jobso relaizes his developers arent as good

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well he realized and knowing that third party developers are very important for success and couple that to the power of third party developers ...

el jobso said:
Let me just say it:

We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers' hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users.

With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we're trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once--provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc.

This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones--this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network.

As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target. Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer.

While this makes such a phone less than "totally open," we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone's amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch.
Source

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
At last....so, what was the statement El Jobso gave?

"We don't want AT&T's west cost network to go down due to some application" :D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I tell you this - iMav is a friggin' mystery to me.

This bit of news has not yet even hit the wire properly and he has already posted it! It's one thing for an Apple fanatic to follow the company obsessively but for a guy who is well known for disliking almost everything related to the company to do so is just insane.

I'm flabbergasted - honestly. These guys hate Apple. (No need to pretend that you don't.) And yet they have installed the OS they hate on their PC and have been using it for many months now and they follow Apple's moves like a dog follows a biscuit. I've no clue how their brains work!

On topic: Finally!

Competition is a good thing indeed. :D

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
for the record i dont hate apple i hate their software and the stupid decisions taken by the baldy at the helm :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Oh, and someone does not know how to copy-paste stuff properly so that it is in a readable format. So here are the exact words, published as God intended them to be:
Third Party Applications on the iPhone
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
iMav said:
for the record i dont hate apple i hate their software and the stupid decisions taken by the baldy at the helm :)
Yeah, well - that "baldy" is Apple. And I thought I expressly mentioned that there is...
aryayush said:
No need to pretend that you don't.

iMav said:
ok so where is the difference :?
People who care can spot the difference a mile away.

Last edited:

superczar

-n00b-
And yet they have installed the OS they hate on their PC and have been using it for many months now

oh, i get it now....
Am not exactly sure of the current status of running OS X on non Apple x86 hardware, but from what I remember, it isn't very pleasant because of driver issues and conflicts

perhaps that explains the mystery

goobimama

 Macboy
I tell you. "Why do iMav and gx use OS X" is a bigger mystery than the everlong philosophical question: Why are we here. No technologist, econimist, psychiatrist, foot surgeon can ever come up with an answer to that...

Now, for the SDK, yippee!!! And it will be just in time for when the iPhone is introduced in India!

I liked the artwork on gizmodo though:
*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/10/sdk.jpeg

gx_saurav said:
Can;t u see iMav, arya made the UI of the paragraph look good :D

Another big mystery is your obsession for all things ugly. What is wrong with properly aligned paragraphs, well spaced typeface, and other things that go with the word 'beauty'?

Last edited:
OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
superczar said:
oh, i get it now....
Am not exactly sure of the current status of running OS X on non Apple x86 hardware, but from what I remember, it isn't very pleasant because of driver issues and conflicts

perhaps that explains the mystery
there are driver isues but but on my basic machine there isnt hardware that conflicts or doesnt have appropriate mac drivers :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
I tell you. "Why do iMav and gx use OS X" is a bigger mystery than the everlong philosophical question: Why are we here. No technologist, econimist, psychiatrist, foot surgeon can ever come up with an answer to that...

I use it for my workstation apps some of which are Mac only. Such as FCP & Shake. I don't even use it for anything else.

Another big mystery is your obsession for all things ugly. What is wrong with properly aligned paragraphs, well spaced typeface, and other things that go with the word 'beauty'?

Its not that I like ugly things, its the way arya said "the difference" when it is only aligned paragraph

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
o my freakin lord paragraphs are such an issue i wonder how do i even read the news paper or the magazines ..... o! ya i know u dont even read them u just look at the images .... and if the images are good then the mag is good ... raaabo fat being are u reading ... if u ever come up with a mac version put only images .... text doesnt matter ....

PS: i thought p0rn pix are the ones that dont need any sort of text but yeah as in massachusetts some ppl just get horny by the hardware pix :lol:

superczar

-n00b-
865gbf is fully supported ?
and what core is that P4?

Anyway, on a completely different note, I have tremendous respect for that can do- will do attitude when it comes to pulling workarounds when it comes to technology

been there-done that, esp when I was a budget constrained student.....
However, I find it increasingly difficult to spend time to such pursuits these days though (with notable exceptions like my latest carputer build)

Anyway, the tangential story apart, I somehow feel that the beauty of OS X (that lies in the fact that it simply works) is lost when you embark on a project like the osx86 , i.e. running OS X on non apple- non TPM hardware

With non apple harware without a TPM, there will be some or the other niggles here & there... a missing driver, some API call conflicts, maybe a few IRQ conflicts.....a nag here or there...and that kills the very reason OS X users love it for

Last edited:
OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
single core ... and ya i guess its fully supported ... i installed using my onboard gfx adapter and my sound is working so ya its supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom