Education : Indian students in Germany need not pay to study

d3p

PowerHouse
New Delhi: Germany, a hub of quality scientific research and innovation, is keen to attract the brightest Indian minds for further studies and research and has as an incentive made it easier for students to stay over and work, the country's envoy has said. Another incentive for students is that German universities don't charge any fees.

"In Germany you don't pay to study in the universities," Michael Steiner, Germany's envoy to India, told a news agency in an interview.

The students only have to pay for their board and lodging, he added.

There are at present 6,000 Indian students in Germany, and the country is eager to attract more, he said.

"Earlier, students who wanted to stay over could not, and this was a problem. This year, we have facilitated that students keen to stay over and work can do so," Steiner said.

This would be done on the basis of specific work permits.

And, to give a fillip to Indo-German scientific and technological cooperation, Germany is setting up an institute in Delhi to facilitate the exchange of science and innovation, Steiner said, describing it as "one of the defining pillars of our bilateral relations".

The German House for Research and Innovation (DWIH), New Delhi, coming up on October 27 near the German embassy here, will help Indian students wanting to go to Germany and vice versa, as well as facilitate bilateral research projects, he said.

The DWIH "will be part of the Ivy League from our perspective", he said.

The ambassador does not foresee language to be a barrier for Indian students as German universities now offer courses in English, he said.

"But it is an enrichment to learn the German language... And it has been observed that Indians are good at learning German," Steiner said.

The DWIH will act like a hub for young talents and a house for scientific innovation, which is one of Germany's strengths, said the ambassador.

Among the 14 universities and member institutions of the DWIH are the well-known Heidelberg University, the Max Planck Society and the University of Cologne.

"The DWIH is mainly an address for facilitating study in Germany," he said, adding that there was an increase of 20 percent in the number of Indian students going to Germany in 2011 from the previous year.

"This is encouraging, but we expect a further increase," he said.

The DWIH is one of the five set up by Germany across the world, with the others in Sao Paolo (Brazil), Moscow (Russia), New York (USA) and Tokyo (Japan)

To a question on how much a student would have to spend to stay in Germany, Steiner said it depends on the city.

"We have very good universities in small cities. It all depends on where the student wants to go," he said, adding that staying in Berlin would be relatively cheaper than Munich.

According to a study by the Indian Institute of Management-Bangalore, more than 53,000 Indians went abroad in 2000 for a degree and at the end of the decade, the count shot up to 190,000.

The US is the top country having most number of Indian students, with the UK a close second. Between 2000 and 2009, the number of Indian students in Europe increased from 3,348 to 51,556, with the UK seeing a rise from 3,962 to 36,105.

Steiner was full of praise for India's excellence in the field of IT and German companies' collaboration with Indian firms.

"I have spoken to Infosys Germany and found them pretty impressive," he said.

Infosys is in collaboration with German IT major SAP, while Wipro has tied up with Siemens.

Source

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
Cool, but don't you think it might lead to more ATTACKS ON INDIANS? in germany?

Whys the reason Indian Students are attacked in aus? Yes, cause there much better than the locals in studies

The Main reason for giving chance might be ; The population of Germany will be lesser than of Karnataka. Chances are more, people are less. Education System is Good, hardly anyone turns out. Opportunities are equally good, but people are happy drinking bier [Beer in English] & doing what they love to do.

Secondly, they are way ahead in usage of Technology. For the wellness of Humanity, they help every other race to improve their livings.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Germany is kind of neutralized after WW2. You wont see a game disk with German flag waved.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Heads up: If you're one of those money hungry "city hunter" folks with an engineering degree who want to settle in Germany for a job and easy living by working in industry, Germany's not looking for you. What they want is good scientifically oriented candidates who come there to study and do meaningful work in science and technology. Trust me, those are still the minority in India.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Seriously what the hell was that? Keeping d3p's post, please don't reply to the deleted quote in question. Thanks.

But Germany or Germans are not like Australia or Australians. So i doubt such thing ever happen.

Not even Australians. At least not the extent to which the paranoid yindans and the retarded media demonstrate. Not even close.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
guys ... Most of undergraduate course don't charge fee but they are taught in german you have to pay only for the living like accommodation food etc ,they are not doing any favor to Indian or anyone else , that's the part of their education policy upto certain level education is completely free in Denmark too

billmaster

Broken In
with what some good universities to offer like Esslingen and Jacobs, it is worth opting for them instead of spending thousands of dollars in UK/american universities

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
For getting into UK you need to clear TOEFL & for States, you need GRE...

Not much of difference other than learning a foreign language. GRE seems easy, as its English. But ask people who appear it & how many of them clears it. Even after getting GRE Cleared, you need enough bank balance to study there & in case not then study hard to get scholarship, which will not fund, half of your expenses in the college.

Atleast here, you get your Education for free, which saves in Lakhs. Rest upto you & your luck.

Hrishi

Whereas in India , Higher educaton and obtaining a decent graduate degree from a good college , is getting difficult these days.
Rising COllege fees and increasing competition everyday.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Whereas in India , Higher educaton and obtaining a decent graduate degree from a good college , is getting difficult these days.
Rising COllege fees and increasing competition everyday.

Agree with competition, but not with fee. Not in reputed ones atleast. My sister is in Maulana Aazad Medical College, one of the most reputed college and her fee is less than my cousin's school fee who's in 5th class. Competition on other hand, remains high everywhere.

bubusam13

Human
Anyway, what it be, have to study hard, clear TOEFL or GRE. Study study and study. And no fun in private jobs. Always have to study to get a higher position :( I am, these days, actually confused what should I study. In India have to clear GATE, colleagues says go for MBA, clear CAT, parents says do whatever you think right, few friends cleared GRE, I too want too.

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
^Just a viable piece of suggestion : Just do things, where you interest lies. Don't follow someone else's footstep. Doesn't matter whether its studies or in Working career. Think innovative, other than just doing what others are just doing like an Aimless person.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
Agree with competition, but not with fee. Not in reputed ones atleast. My sister is in Maulana Aazad Medical College, one of the most reputed college and her fee is less than my cousin's school fee who's in 5th class. Competition on other hand, remains high everywhere.

Fees in govt collages are ridiculously low , for DCE it was around 30 K per annum earlier ,as I don't know of Now

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
For getting into UK you need to clear TOEFL & for States, you need GRE...

Just pointing TOEFL and GRE are totally different things. For UK & most worldwide, there's IELTS, and for US specfic and couple of other countries/universities, TOEFL it is.

Fees in govt collages are ridiculously low , for DCE it was around 30 K per annum earlier ,as I don't know of Now

In BHU its ~14k/ semseter. But eventually, it will rise like IITs/IIMs

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
^Thanks for the correction.

I have paid 40k per Sem in NTTF for Diploma in Electronics.

Now they are charging still more.

Last edited:

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
Just pointing TOEFL and GRE are totally different things. For UK & most worldwide, there's IELTS, and for US specfic and couple of other countries/universities, TOEFL it is.

In BHU its ~14k/ semseter. But eventually, it will rise like IITs/IIMs

when Murali Manohar joshi was HRD minister , he tried to lower IIM fee by Sub 30 K per annum , but IIM sought it as Hijacking of their Autonomy and rejected his proposal . it was back in 2002 or 2000 I don't remember

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
In a way, I believe its good. I mean c'mon you can't expect a 10L package when you're not ready to pay even 1L for your course. Its just too materialistic. Plus, if flow of funds are balanced, it will help in the growth and development of institution only.

Top Bottom