Do you think excessive video gaming is affecting the health of the gamers?

arunbosco

Right off the assembly line
Indian Gaming industry is booming. But there are a lot of side effects associated with gaming, like eye-strain and headache. A few companies have launched high tech eye wears to protect gamers from such side effects. Do you think gaming eyewear could be the solution to such health related problems?

ankit.kumar010203

Journeyman
Yes,Its Right That Excessive Gaming Is Very Bad For Health But It Is Also Advisable To Play Games In Computer Which Boost Our Mind And Also Exercise Our Wrist....As Per As Eyewear It Is Good Enough,I Have Asked About It To My Friends Too...!!!!

Vignesh B

Youngling
I don't know the effectiveness of the eye-wear as I have never used it it. But I don't expect much from these.
There are disorders also like carpel tunnel syndrome caused due to working in wrong posture for long time.
It's all upto the end-user on how he balances his health with his urge for gaming.
In short, do game but in moderation so that your body doesn't get hurt and you are not disabled to play your favourite game again.

Alok

Adventurer
Everyday exercise, some sports, good diet and touch to nature(say a green park or local garden) go gaming without problem.
You can't do everything perfectly but your best effort is enough.

But gaming affects your social activities (offline society not fb)

axes2t2

I am a cat
After every 60-90 minutes look out of your window and concentrate on a far away point for a few minutes.

Also don't forget to drink water.

And its the other way round for me.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
You are responsible for your own condition

It does not harm everyone in the same way, the eye thing is a myth, its more of a neck / spine / body posture problem

At the same time it is perfectly possible to game excessively (8-15 hrs a day) without adverse effects as long as you give yourself enough breaks and take care of other things

You don't need to buy any special products for these, apart from what you would normally invest in gaming

mitraark

Decrepit
As mentioned earlier excess of anything is bad .

Just do what we do in college , Game Hard Play Harder.

By Play i mean football not Bowling.

Hrishi

Spoils the body posture due to prolonged hours of gaming.
Eye strain and headache after continously gazing at the Computer screen.
Mental stress and pressure buildup.

Some parents also complain gradual lack in Academic scores. :p

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes, it gave me cancer.

oh. I thought you were kidding. But its cured now,by nimu nimu,isn't it?
And i don't think its affecting health. Its just back/neck pain,headache. But it can become serious too. In my case i already have back bone problem,so i don't play more than 2hrs. And i am agreed with Anorion.
healthy diet and exercise can surely push the limits of anything,be it gaming on PC or on pitch.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Indian Gaming industry is booming. But there are a lot of side effects associated with gaming, like eye-strain and headache. A few companies have launched high tech eye wears to protect gamers from such side effects. Do you think gaming eyewear could be the solution to such health related problems?

First of all, there is no significant gaming industry in India, let alone one that is booming.

Secondly, I don't think glasses would do any good because gaming doesn't just affect the eyes. It affects your mind as well. I remember that there were times when I would think that real life objects are actually rendered or I would wonder how they would be rendered, thanks to playing games on very-high settings. So, it does affect more than your eyes, even your mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hrishi

Playing chess does more good to your mind. You can play it online on your pc.
I do it regularly for couple of hours , in Office. :p

Btw, what are the positives of Playing games for longer duration , if any ?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Excess is a relative term and depends how you define it as. But yeah anyone playing 5 hours daily 7 days a week will have bad affect on their health.

amjath

Human Spambot
But gaming affects your social activities (offline society not fb)

for me it affected both :p, my social gaming also affected :D

Also don't forget to drink water.
Good one dude :)
On Topic:
Eye exercise
Computer Eye Strain: How to Relieve It with free eye exercises, nutrition, lifestyle

and this
Into the Internet - Occupational health and safety for computer users

BTW it got the check list too yaaay

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
There are hordes of 24x7 gamers not all of em are messed up
The numbers spike during vacation
Many serious gamers take a break from work just when a major game is released (eg skyrim) then play more or less continuously during that break, then get back to work and play casually from then on (at endgame)
You never know why anyone games excessively, saw one guy dashing through the leaderboards in a matter of days, thought it was a hacker turned out to be some dude in a wheelchair
You have to decide how much to game and why, dont compete with those who choose to invest more time

And this study says gaming is the eye excercise *www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/03/30/studies-show-fps-games-improves-vision/1

Top Bottom