Do UFOs/Aliens exist, is Time Travel possible and more...

OP
S

SE><IE

Re: UFOs, Aliens, Time Travel and more...

This means that human eye is insensible to speeds greater than light. *whew*

OP
K

krazyfrog

After reading all those posts it seems that time travel would indeed be possible. But for someone to travel time, they would require a TIME MACHINE (like the ones shown in movies). So can anyone tell me what does a time machine has to do to send a person back and forth in time. In short could someone please EXPLAIN THE CONSTRUCTION AND WORKING OF TIME MACHINE. And if not a time machine then what will be used to send a person back and forth in time?

blackpearl

The Devil

^^ Raaabo already explained, one basic requirement to travel back in tim is to travel at speeds greater than the velocity of light. So a time machine, I guess, would be a just such a vehicle.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer

Raaabo said:
Sorry, wrong again! Even if the train was moving at you, you would see the train and headlight together, just that you would see the train after it passed, not while it was passing. That is the only difference, you ......................

Raaabo

Nope. Sorry Raaabo, I can't accept this! Let me explain...
Train is approaching at a speed more than speed of light. I said 5 times the light speed, which is very high. Since it is approaching the person, that means distance is reducing w.r.t time. The light released by the headlight is still travelling at the speed of light which is less than the speed of train. So light released at a time 't' during the travel will reach the person much later than the train in itself. Train will be seen earlier becoz the train is approaching him. Of course the headlight is still seen along with train, but what I said is headlight will be seen even after the train passes through. 5 times light speed is specified for this reason. Might be the difference would have been less if the speed is just slightly higher, not 5 times.

Last edited:
OP
S

SE><IE

@Kiran: Looks like you are considering the speed of light and train as conventional objects. so you see the faster one earlier and then the slower one. If this were to happen then the whole purpose of FTL would have been solved by directly moving at more than light's speed. I don't think FTL is possible by conventional methods though :)

@raaabo: The avie really suits you. I can see the HDR effect :lol:

okey, here's how to design a time-machine:

Archanid (Skoar!) said:
It's all very simple. It requires a bathtub, a microwave oven, magic jelly-beans, a jar of vaseline, duct tape, solder wire, super glue and a co-pilot.

Now, obviously the bathtub will be the main hull of your time machine. (I tried making a compact model but then there was no room for the stereo). Ok, using duct-tape and soldering wire, you're going to prepare the hull. Cut out 16 strips of 4 feet duct tape. Therefore, you should have 16 strips of duct tape, each measuring 4 feet. Or on total, you meed 64 feet of duct tape. It's not easy to make this at home using grey paints and scotch tape - so maybe you should buy it. Paste this on to the bathtub - moving from your left (assuming that thats the faucet side) to your right. Oh - before that, make sure that the bathtub is empty. Good - now we're rocking. OK - so you've pasted the duct tape - therefore, you should have 8 strips on each side. Make sure that the strips are aligned parallel to the nanometer. Not doing so can cause some serious nasal as well as an*l problems.

Next, take the solder wire and using the super glue, paste this on the duct tape. You can choose any pattern, but personally i find flowery and leafy shapes very pretty. Add's a touch of refinement and finesse, you see.

Good. Basically, what you've done now, is you've created the hull, you've got the circuit board and the circuits in place. Now comes the nice shine that every interstellar time travelling device needs!! Thats where your bottle of vaseline comes in. Of course, if your co-pilot happens to be a fag and so do you, then you better save some for later (just in case it gets lonely in the time you're going to). Great, so smear away the vaseline to give your TARDIS that nice young glow that you want!

Now doing this, not only makes your time machine look pretty, but it also protects it from interstellar bugs and dirt as well as other straight guys who might want to steal your craft.

Excellent - now we're coooking with gas!!!

Now, attach the microwave oven to the back of the bathtub (faucet side). You will need to use the faucet to control direction. Put a few magic jelly beans in the microwave. Enter the time you want to go to and hit start. The nuclear energy released from the cooking jelly beans will instantly transport you to that time!!

I'm trying to improve engine efficiency though, and i feel that the replacement of jelly beans with Britney Spears/C Aguilera/Enriqu tapes/cd's/video's etc should work better, since the probability of people liking them is lesser - significanly lesser than that of people liking magic jelly beans.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin

The theory of time travel is weird. As per existing theories, time travel to the future is very possible. Though time travel to the past is not. I'll keep the explanations simple, and am not going to use equations and stuff, so that everyone gets it (I hope)!

Time Travel To The Future
This one is easy! Well, comparatively anyway... Researchers have already proven, using popular experiments that you can Google for, that traveling to the future is easy. All you have to do is travel at speeds comparable to light. The important thing to know here is that light speed is not possible at all right now, but comparable speeds certainly are. What are these speeds? Say, C/2! Or even C/100! Let's stick with C/2 (or half the speed of light) for this example.

Let's say you have this über-cool spaceship that can attain speeds of half the speed of light. We will ignore the time taken to accelerate to that speed, or the time taken to decelerate...

Bodies in motion experience what is known as relative time, i.e., the time that a body experiences is different from rest time. This has been proven by syncing two atomic clocks, placing one on the ground and the other in a really fast moving fighter jet / rocket (I forget which). After hours of zipping about at the vehicles top speed it was found that the clock on the ground was a second faster than the one zipping about in the vehicle. Why? Because if you were to travel at light speed, time = 0 (or time comes to a standstill). You can find all the equations that prove this online. And remember, this was just jet planes / rockets, which travel at just a negligible fraction of the speed of light

Now, imagine that you were traveling at C/2, time would really slow down then. Though not exactly correct, let us assume for the sake of example and ease of calculation that relative time slowed to 1/2 of absolute time at a speed of C/2.

You get on to your über cool rocket, you hit the speed of C/2, and travel for one year in a direction away from Earth. Then you turn around, and take another year to come back. You left in 2008, Earth time, and return at what you think is 2010. You find that it's actually 2012 on Earth, because time was moving at double the speed on Earth! Congratulations, you have just traveled 2 years into the future!

Time Travel To The Past
This is a little more complicated because it involves faster than light travel, which is not even possible in theory right now. Well, according to most theories anyway! Let’s assume that you could now travel at 2C (twice the speed of light), and let’s also assume for simplicity that time at C =0 then time at 2C = -t (or that you end up traveling back into the past the same duration that you travel).

Use the same scenario as the future: you travel at 2C for a year away, and then at 2C for a year back. In your time, you have traveled 2 years, left at 2008 and return at 2010 your time, but you find that on earth, it’s 2006!

Of course many people claim that this is just not possible. Theories claim that you will actually end up 2 years older, but end up back at the time you left ( 2008 ). So relatively, you’re in the past (2 years ago), but from Earth’s timeframe, you just never left!

Another theory is that you an see the events of the past, but never interact with them. Let’s say you have a really powerful telescope that can see distances of light years away. Now you travel at 2C for a year and stop. You are 2 light years away from Earth. You use your telescope to see what’s happening on earth, and instead of seeing what happening on Earth a year ago when you left (since light takes 2 years to travel to where you are, you took only 1 year) you see what is happening 1 year before you left! You have seen the past!

People often ask if time travel to the past were possible, even 10,000 years from now, where are all the time travelers? One theory suggests that in order to avoid a paradoxical situation, time travel is only possible to the past until the time machine existed, not before. But if you make a time machine, and it can’t travel to the past, how do you know it works? How do you test it?

The most plausible possibility to visit the past is superluminal (faster than light) travel. Even then, travelers might only look at the past, not interact with it, because as soon as they reduce speed to less than light speed they start moving forward in time from the reference point they left (our future).

Is this why we see UFOs? Maybe they’re not aliens at all, but just our future human explorers setting off for far away galaxies using faster than light travel. Since they travel faster than light, they appear (to themselves) to be traveling back in time… let’s take an example, in the year 3000, a ship leaves Earth, it ascends through the atmosphere into space, then starts accelerating and hits C very quickly, then it accelerates even further, to say 1000 C for a year. During this time, the pilot sees himself traveling back in time to his rest point, then sees the Earth go backwards in time a thousand years. Now, since he took off at, say Area 51, there is a possibility that when he accelerates to 1000C from C, almost instantaneously, people from 1000 years ago (year 2000) see an image of him, because he can see them. Is this what UFOs are? When he reaches his destination, he will slow down, and as a result disappear from the year 2000. Is this why UFOs suddenly appear and then disappear?

Or maybe it’s none of that, and UFOs are populated by humans from the future, who have been warned not to mess with the space time continuum, and thus cannot land and chat with us. They can see us, but not talk to us. Are the abductions we hear about actually rogue criminals from the future trying to change history to suit themselves?

As you can see, it’s all vague and guesswork when it comes to traveling to the past, the future, however, is fair game.

A sci-fi book I read once (don’t remember the name), told of the first near-light speed travelers. They set off in a ship that attained 0.8 x C, traveled for decades (in their time) to try and get to Andromeda. They reached there, and found that humans had already populated planets in Andromeda. In fact, technology had advanced, and humans attained C and were thriving on planets in Andromeda for centuries. At 0.8 x C, what was a few decades to the travelers was in fact a thousand years to people on Earth. The Captain of the ship finds that his own children were the pioneers of light speed travel, and reached Andromeda at C about 500 years before he did. They were dead and gone, and he met his great-great-great-grandchildren! He was 30 years older, but arrived at Andromeda 1000 years (Earth time) later! Travel to the future!

Kiran_tech_mania said:
Nope. Sorry Raaabo, I can't accept this! Let me explain...
Train is approaching at a speed more than speed of light. I said 5 times the light speed, which is very high. Since it is approaching the person, that means distance is reducing w.r.t time. The light released by the headlight is still travelling at the speed of light which is less than the speed of train. So light released at a time 't' during the travel will reach the person much later than the train in itself. Train will be seen earlier becoz the train is approaching him. Of course the headlight is still seen along with train, but what I said is headlight will be seen even after the train passes through. 5 times light speed is specified for this reason. Might be the difference would have been less if the speed is just slightly higher, not 5 times.

I know it’s hard to understand. But you have to accept the theories put across by the greatest minds on Earth, after all these are their theories, not mine. Let me explain how:

First let me explain why the observer standing still will always see the train and the headlight, and never either one.

What you see is light, which travels at C (light speed constant). You are unable to see anything that moves faster than light. Even if the train was traveling at 5C, all you will see is the train (providing you have a camera or eyes with a refresh rate / shutter speed of 1/C or lower) moving at the speed of light, never faster. Yes, you will see the train when it is actually very, very far away, and has gone past much before you saw it, but you will see both the train and it’s headlights. Why? Because you are only seeing at the speed of light. The time the train takes to pass you is negligible, and you will obviously not see the headlights or train once it has gone past. See diagram:

*raaabo.com/time1.jpg

Now remember, what the observer sees is light that travels at the speed of light. Not faster, not slower. So you see a train that is traveling at the speed of light, as light actually. Similarly, you see the headlight as light. Therefore both will be seen coming together, and both will be seen leaving together. In reality what you will see is just a flash of light switching on and off (coming and going past you).

Let’s look at another example: A train traveling faster than the speed of sound, and blowing its horn… You will see it go past you, then you will hear a sonic boom and hear the train and its horn after it has already passed you. This is what you are thinking is the case with light, which isn’t. Simply because anything that is faster than light is just not observable by us, while we can observe what is faster than sound, simply because we can see light.

Just as we cannot hear faster than sound, we cannot see faster than light. And before you think about asking whether you will feel the rush of air an hour before you see the train traveling past you, think again.

You only feel the rush of air when a train is near you. You can only see a certain distance away. The speed of light negates all of these distances because it is so great. You will always see something before you hear it or feel it. As in the diagram below, you can only see the train a certain distance away, and until it passes you. The ways you see the train are: light reflected from it and its headlights. In the diagram below, the first case (top) is where you will spot the train, the last (bottom) is where it goes out of sight.

*raaabo.com/time2.jpg

Though in reality the time difference is negligible, so you will only see a light flash, let’s say you have amazing eyesight, and can perceive things on a scale of light speeds (not greater). You will see the train approach, with headlights, and see it leave, with headlights… again, simply because the train may be traveling faster than the speed of light, but all you can see at is light speed!

There is complicated mathematics at play here and I suggest you see *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_addition_formula, for more details.

Using this you can calculate that the velocity relative to the observer is always C or less than C, but never greater.

From *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
At velocities at or approaching the speed of light, however, it becomes clear from experimental results that this rule does not apply. Two spaceships approaching each other, each travelling at 90% the speed of light relative to some third observer between them, do not perceive each other as approaching at 90% + 90% = 180% the speed of light; instead they each perceive the other as approaching at slightly less than 99.5% the speed of light.

This last result is given by the Einstein velocity addition formula:
*upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/2/3/923c39ef0a72dbd766407d58a8cbdde2.png
where v and w are the speeds of the spaceships as observed by the third observer, and u is the speed of either space ship as observed by the other.

Contrary to one's usual intuitions, regardless of the speed at which one observer is moving relative to another observer, both will measure the speed of an incoming light beam as the same constant value, the speed of light.

I hope it’s clear now, because, as you can see from my post, I’m having trouble trying to explain it in simple terms!

Raaabo

PS: Forgive the crappy images, I'm no artist :)

Last edited:
OP
S

SE><IE

Whoa!! Impressive.
Okey, I got it. You can't see anything faster than light because light itself is needed to be reflected off from the object which (light) can't travel more than C.
Its pretty similar to sound, you can't hear anything if it travels at speeds exceeding those of sound. But you can see (say, a plane) cuz you were using a faster sensory organ (eyes).
Consider the case of a blind person. Can he distinguish between sonic and super-sonic velocities? No.
Similarly we can't distinguish between at-light's-speed and FTL-speed.
Hope you got it :D

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member

I should pay more attention to this thread, some very interesting topics being discussed. It's a nice read!

@Raaabo: Very informative post, this last one.

I'm going to save myself from googling and instead post my doubt here instead. (Apologies, if they've been addressed before)

It's all very exciting to explore the theory behind high-speed, space & time travelling. But how practical is it? To be more precise, what are the physiological side-effects of high-speed travels on the human body and mind? Have we overcome this hurdle, or is work underway?

--------
I will talk now a bit on UFOs and aliens, people who claim they've seen them (UFOs in general). In particular those who claim they've made physical contact(as in seeing an alien being) and those who claim to have been abducted by them. And this is all based on a documentary on NGC that I'd watched some time back; will try to recollect as much as I can.

There is a stereotype involved in most of the abductees' explanation of events as they unfolded, based on researched data, and it always revolves around the subject waking up from sleep, finding their room illuminated by a bright light, seeing 'figures' in their vicinity; the subject is unable to move and feels paralyzed and then the subject gets 'abducted'.
As far as I can remember, clinical procedures in Japan had proved that this is all a scenario of dream-induced stupor by brain mapping. In this hyperactive state, people often dream of various things and find themselves doing various activities, walking not the least of them. The brain actually 'switches off' the region that is responsible for controlling motor functions of the body so the person who's dreaming doesn't actually get up and start 'living his dream'. But sometimes, in those rare instances, it forgets to 'switch on' the region back to normal once the dreaming bit is over. People suffer temporary paralysis in this state and the resulting experiences (re: bright light, figures in vicinity, etc.) are other 'side-effects'. Also there was an indication that abductees those who've gone for therapy, have explained their experiences pertaining to specific questions in a hypnotized state asked by the shrink. This questioning and the cues of those questions is what's supposed to have made them believe what they believe in the first place.

I'm not doing justice to this little commentary by recalling only bits and pieces of the documentary, for which I apologize.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin

Apollo said:
It's all very exciting to explore the theory behind high-speed, space & time travelling. But how practical is it? To be more precise, what are the physiological side-effects of high-speed travels on the human body and mind? Have we overcome this hurdle, or is work underway?

No we haven't even overcome the hurdle of space sickness or AIDS, so we're obviously very far from tackling the problems of close to light speed travel. We haven't even found a way to accelerate anything bigger than an atom to anything in the vicinity of C.

When we do have that kind of power, we might be able to test it on chimpanzees and then humans :)

Raaabo

OP
K

krazyfrog

I think only something as small as an atom could travel at the speed of light. Anything bigger will probably be shred to pieces before getting even close to the speed of light. Aeroplanes capable of Mach 3 speeds boasts of aerodynamics no other plane can. Just imagine how aerodynamic does a ship capable of speed of light would be. Even if they would manage to make a super aerodynamic ship capable of achieving the speed of light without breaking into pieces, would they manage to fit a human being inside? And what about the G-forces acting on the person accelerating so fast? Only pilots with extraordinary capabilities are capable of bearing the G-forces of a Mach 3 plane. What about the pilots of ships travelling at the speed of light?

blackpearl

The Devil

Has anybody thought what an observer will see if the train is travelling at speeds in excess of light? Look at the diagrams.

This is the normal case

*i13.tinypic.com/2z5j876.gif

This will what happen at speeds in excess of light

*i10.tinypic.com/2vakvbm.gif

Kiran.dks

Technomancer

Raaabo said:
I know it’s hard to understand. But you have to accept the theories put across by the greatest minds on Earth, after all these are their theories, not mine. Let me explain how:

First let me explain why the observer standing still will always see the train and the headlight, and never either one.

What you see is light, which travels at C (light speed constant). You are unable to see anything that moves faster than light. Even if the train was traveling at 5C, all you will see is the train (providing you have a camera or eyes with a refresh rate / shutter speed of 1/C or lower) moving at the speed of light, never faster. ..........

Thanks for efforts and explaining in detail about it.
It's really hard to illustrate by words as to what exactly happens at that point. My point is simple which I am unable to convey to you properly.You are right that the person can still see light in a flash. Please understand that the person will see both headlight and train at same time, but the light released by the headlight much earlier during its travel will reach the person after the train has passed through because it is travelling at the speed of light only. It is true that no one can imagine to see an object travelling at 5 times the speed of light. In our case the person is a virtual machine which has got high-speed camera.

The image is self illustrative
*img201.imageshack.us/img201/8553/lightkk5.png

Moreover it is impossible to construct an object which can travel at such high-speeds. Infact the time machine whiuch we are all talking about would also never be an object that humans will manufacture. It's rather a place in the Universe, which the humans will exploit such as Black holes, Worm holes etc.

And yes you are a good artist! ;-)

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin

Kiran_tech_mania said:
Thanks for efforts and explaining in detail about it.
It's really hard to illustrate by words as to what exactly happens at that point. My point is simple which I am unable to convey to you properly.You are right that the person can still see light in a flash. Please understand that the person will see both headlight and train at same time, but the light released by the headlight much earlier during its travel will reach the person after the train has passed through because it is travelling at the speed of light only. It is true that no one can imagine to see an object travelling at 5 times the speed of light. In our case the person is a virtual machine which has got high-speed camera.

The image is self illustrative
*img201.imageshack.us/img201/8553/lightkk5.png

Moreover it is impossible to construct an object which can travel at such high-speeds. Infact the time machine whiuch we are all talking about would also never be an object that humans will manufacture. It's rather a place in the Universe, which the humans will exploit such as Black holes, Worm holes etc.

And yes you are a good artist! ;-)

Again, you're missing the point. Where is the headlight coming from? The train? So if the headlight exists at the first point, then the train must have existed there as well... right? So if we can see the light, then we should be able to see the train as well? Yes?

See the image:
*raaabo.com/time3.jpg

At every observable point, both the train and the headlight exist. Even if the train were travelling 5 times faster than the speed of light. The train's headlights are on the train, and at any given point, light is reflecting off the train, and also being emitted from it's headlights. Since what you see, as an observer, is only light, not the motion of the train at 5C, you will always see both the train and the headlight together.

If you now want to say that you have a camera that can capture fast enough to see 5 times the speed of light, then you are not from this dimension, and neither is your camera. Because cameras can only record light, which moves at C not 5 x C. So this argument is pointless, unless you want to insist on a 5th dimension technology that can transcend time and the speed of light.

The fact remains that an obersever will always see the train and the headlights. He may see it moving backwards as blackpearl has illustrated, but he will see both together. Never just the headlight, and never just the train. I hope it's clear now.

Anyway, backwards or forwards, all you will see is a flash :)

Raaabo

OP
S

SE><IE

OK, what basically you mean to say is we can't see train and headlight separately because we are bound in 4th dimention. The fastest thing for us is C and we can't see beyond it.
If we lived where 5C was the norm then we would have seen train and headlight together after 5C too(just like C in our case)
*gulp*
If you now want to say that you have a camera that can capture fast enough to see 5 times the speed of light, then you are not from this dimension, and neither is your camera. Because cameras can only record light, which moves at C not 5 x C. So this argument is pointless, unless you want to insist on a 5th dimension technology that can transcend time and the speed of light.
This made it clear :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

5th dimension! People are having a great difficulty digesting the 4th dimension. If there exists a 5th dimension. It will takes thousands of years for common man to understand all those dimensions.

OP
S

SE><IE

commerce students here? I hope you aren't drunk :lol:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

I am just about managing to understand the 4th dimension though not so well. Yeah as a commerce student we don't understand these things so well.
And where does drinking come in? Anyways I don't drink at all.

reddick

Mobile Freak

One thing is clear that Their is no UFOs or Aliens exists in this universe...It's all Fake! :rolleyes:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ

^^how come you're sure that its a fake??? :D

we still havent left our Galaxy to explore the others.

OP
S

shashank_digitreader

reddick said:
One thing is clear that Their is no UFOs or Aliens exists in this universe...It's all Fake! :rolleyes:

then prove it.

Top Bottom