• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Do OSS users infringe other copyrights?

Do OSS users use pirated stuff?

Ok guys its gonna get dirty. many people here use opensource softwares. also do not support piracy. But many actually download/copy many MP3's, Videos illegally (donot pay for the content)

Now tell me, you guys support OSS or say you are against piracy , but actually have many copyrighted material on you HDD/Mp3 players. Why the double standards?

Is there a single person in this forum who supports OSS and respects GNU GPL and doesnot violate copyrights.

PS:This is not a public poll so no need to worry :p

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
its coz of human desires, a person can be tempted easily to do things not intended.

Yeah but the %age may differ its like you cant be always true but its the point of view that differs from person to person.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
y do u think they dont want drm :lol: because its gonna make them pay up for all the taare zameen par or rafeeq tracks the listen to

amitava82

MMO Addict
First of all OSS and Piracy is completely different issue and far from remotely connected to each other.
y do u think they dont want drm :lol: because its gonna make them pay up for all the taare zameen par or rafeeq tracks the listen to
As if you will be happy with drm crap since you have legitimate copies of everything in your PC..:rolleyes:

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ While OSS and Piracy are two entirely different issues, what the pollster is saying is that many people embrace OSS to avoid paying for commercial software and still get the work done legally... However, they skip this thought when it comes to music/movie downloads...

IMHO, there is another thing too... One main gripe of OSS advocaters about closed-source software is that there is no way to tell if they are ripping off open source work or not... In that context, if they gripe about somebody ripping off their work, and then embrace piracy (whatever their justification may be), they are being hypocritical...

Arun

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ok guys its gonna get dirty. many people here use opensource softwares. also do not support piracy. But many actually download/copy many MP3's, Videos illegally (donot pay for the content)

Now tell me, you guys support OSS or say you are against piracy , but actually have many copyrighted material on you HDD/Mp3 players. Why the double standards?

Is there a single person in this forum who supports OSS and doesnot violate copyrights.

PS:This is not a public poll so no need to worry :p
I thought there was a difference between Software piracy and other types. Using OSS is just one step further than using an illegit Windows to do the same.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
well, I haven't buyed any music so far *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/31a.gif *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/106.gif

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

I think you are misunderstanding the point. I run OSS cause I want to. Second of all whats the deal with title "OSS users infringe other copyrights?" . Do Window users get the same material for free?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
"OSS users infringe other copyrights?" . Do Window users get the same material for free?
what he means is that OSS users blow the trumpet abt the fact that they use FOSS but when it comes to music and vids they are perfectly fine with using pirated content ... thats what he means by the bolded part of the quote

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
what he means is that OSS users blow the trumpet abt the fact that they use FOSS but when it comes to music and vids they are perfectly fine with using pirated content

Lol well most of Music Collection is Original anyway (Emphasis on most). I doubt any OSS user condones Piracy but thats just my view.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
First of all OSS and Piracy is completely different issue and far from remotely connected to each other.

I thought there was a difference between Software piracy and other types. Using OSS is just one step further than using an illegit Windows to do the same.

Arun has replied what I wanted to say
^^^ While OSS and Piracy are two entirely different issues, what the pollster is saying is that many people embrace OSS to avoid paying for commercial software and still get the work done legally... However, they skip this thought when it comes to music/movie downloads...

Lol well most of Music Collection is Original anyway (Emphasis on most)
Well even most of mine are or in other words ( I stoped downloading pirated music ).. I started to buy music/DVD's when I started earning.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Arun has replied what I wanted to say

Well even most of mine are or in other words ( I stoped downloading pirated music ).. I started to buy music/DVD's when I started earning.
yeah thats the catch, you earn u can buy but for the one dependent on pocket money its quite impossible to buy everything.

On a second note even riches enjoy downloading pirated material over their mbit of connection.

So one cant just always link piracy to the financial resaons, some do enjoy breaking rules, doing illegal things and boasting arnd :D

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
listening to music is a sheer pleasure, paying to music is a sheer pressure... lol

Well, I support OSS, but wont use OSSs much. I will use them only for experimental purpose.

Fortunately I have legal copy of XP running on my machine..

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Wtf?! Does that thread title even make any sense? You're asking about OSS double standards implying you actually mean those using non-OSS are pirates/thieves. Forget OSS/non-OSS thing, AFAIT there isn't a single user(including me) on this forum who doesn't have a single unpaid mp3.
iMav said:
As if., you got all original legal stuff on your hard drive along with your original Windows.

Piracy is everywhere, face it, whether you use OSS or not.

This thread is total bollocks.

Edit: And don't compare the spirit of OSS with that of the pirates.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Actually I do agree with hitboxx on this. The thread implies that all non - OSS users are pirates. Further more I think you are missing the point Ive been trying to get across.

I do not use OSS to avoid paying although it is a huge plus. I use it cause I want to use it , or I feel I have a technically superior product, etc. As I said before I don't condemn Piracy. Whatever rocks your boat.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
well.... guys please discuss regarding the topic.. DONT BLAME THE TITLE or one who STARTED THE THREAD...

Charan is a experience member here and he knows better than us, regarding wat to discuss and not.

Do u guys think the thread is saying that all OSS users are pirates ?

Well, if u are a OSS user and using pirated music, better agree it and stop flaming others...

I know charan personlly!

He buys music.. and uses OSS

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi,

As far as I am concerned, I used to download or copy a lot of music or movies when I was in college. The simple reaon for that was I did not have enough money to pay for at that time. As I am earning now, I have decided to pay for music and buy from the music stores. I will say, that this depends on people's mindset. What I think is that the artists themselves need to earn money and if we can buy original music CD's then they get some money and can invest their time on making new and good music.

Agin when it comes to movies, it is a different story from music. This is because when you buy music, you will listen to that again and again. But you cannot watch a movie all the time. So although I don't pay for movies, I have decided to rent movies from rental stores like seventymm. This also ensures that some revenue of what you spend goes to the artists. Also I dont like watching pirated CD/DVDs because their picture quality is crap and can never match those of the original ones.

As far as software is concerned, till now I have managed to do it without pirated softwares. Also this is easy for softwares as there are a lot of softwares for which you dont have to pay anything but get your job done.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
well.... guys please discuss regarding the topic.. DONT BLAME THE TITLE or one who STARTED THE THREAD...

Im blaming the title not the person who posted it. Personally I see Charan around in IRC , not now a days though :( .

Charan is a experience member here and he knows better than us, regarding wat to discuss and not.
If you believe that since you have a higher post count than me makes you 4 times more smarter you need to wake up from that little dreamworld of yours.
Do u guys think the thread is saying that all OSS users are pirates ?
No on the contrary I don't recall saying anything accusing him that he called me or any OSS user a pirate.
Well, if u are a OSS user and using pirated music, better agree it and stop flaming others...
Which portion of my post was hard for you to interpret?
I know charan personlly!
He buys music.. and uses OSS
Good for you and him. Why should anyone care again? As I would say other places "Drama Sucks". (The actual phrase has been edited to suit the rules of the forum)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
If you believe that since you have a higher post count than me makes you 4 times more smarter you need to wake up from that little dreamworld of yours.

Funky!

Did I say i'm more superior than u? Okie.. i'll come out of the dreamworld, and u stop saying I've less post counts than u, but still I'm superior than me..!

Which portion of my post was hard for you to interpret?

Did I say everything for u? I've replied in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom