Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I dont give a sh!t to the artists.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Next comes OSS Supporters/Promoters. Who are these guys?
can these guys be considered as OSS supporters/promoters .
My emphasis on OSS Promoters was made towards fanboys. In plain words. If you can't walk the walk, then don't talk the talk.

can you tell me one word "Yes" or "No" to my Ubuntu and GPL question.
Read the bold part which I have quoted below again for your use.
For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
For your further consideration.
While Ubuntu will not charge license fees for this distribution, you might well want to charge to print Ubuntu CD's, or create your own customized versions of Ubuntu which you sell, and should have the freedom to do so.
Source : *www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing

How clear cut do you need the answer to be? If you still need the answer then YES. However you must provide the same rights that Ubuntu provided you.

eddie

El mooooo
You have not made a unauthorised copy, you are using it all by youself and not distributing it. so its not piracy.

ripping music for yourself from the CD which you have bought isnt piracy.
Clearly...you know very little about your own rights but want to have an elaborate discussion about them :rolleyes:
*arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/2007...lawyer-copying-music-you-own-is-stealing.html
*news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6095612.stm
*www.ncc.org.uk/news_press/pr.php?recordID=271
My mistake that I put a wrong title "Do OSS users infringe other Copyrights".
At least you realise that you made a very retarded beginning of the thread.
This is the specific line i was looking for.If I deny the rights to the end user then will be violating GPL and the spirit of OSS.. right guys?
...and the point is?
can you tell me one word "Yes" or "No" to my Ubuntu and GPL question.
Yes you can...until and unless you don't use Ubuntu's trademarks.

praka123

left this forum longback
FOSS supporters are not Hypocrats,JFYI! :x

I think the whole question came after someone is juggling between OSS and M$ .net thing :rolleyes:

and from the First itself,am wondering why do this question pointed esp at FOSS users,FOSS supporters :? whoever it may be!
FOSS or CLOSED SOURCE user/supporter,it is upto the individual to choose whether he respects copyright laws or not!

It is not our duty to make big corporations even more richer.in music,give oppurtunities to small disc labels too!.

Piracy in music/movie can be justified when it become unaffordable for the masses to buy it with huge $$$$ they demands!

when music/movie comes affordable,a major portion of pirates will move to buying original(Moser Baer for eg:) and that applies for FOSS supporters too.

and there is the major difference between Knowledge sharing/Operating Systems(All Technical) and Entertainment which,I think you knows.

From My POV,even Open hardware is also a gr8 idea!

and this music/movie piracy is too distant itself from things stated above!and it does not matter whether ur FOSS supporter or not to distuinguish media piracy.

My answer to the question is :"Does any music/movie company have the right to hinder user's right with EULA? with unsuspecting users buy it later to find things like DRM? "

Also,I felt online knowledge sharing will stop with restricting licenses under CC(creative common blah),etc.people who want to share their knowledge should license their online works under GNU GFDL unlike "asking all to come to MY site and give hits so that I can get money thing"
Knowledge grows with sharing.give the credits to Original Authors/Contributors.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ do you know why I took this topic? because of the following thing.

DRM Sucks!no other reasons!no persuasion damn EU and their media's.DRM is founded and sponsored by evil minds!I support pirates rather than DRMing whole software and hardware! :x

praka123

left this forum longback
^I Still think it is better for me to choose piracy when it comes companies do the defensive by playing with user's rights by DRMing etc!
and its my personal opinion only

and if u read the post fully,I have mentioned:
I support pirates rather than DRMing whole software and hardware!:x

Yes!I pointed to Software and Hardware in Computer Industry/IT Industry!and dragging me to comment on Music,Movie where it went wrong for someone?It is upon individuals to choose to pirate or not.enforce things the right way;like raids with police,government support etc,but NOT by DRMing or any such BS! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^^^ do you know why I took this topic? because of the following thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praka123 View Post
DRM Sucks!no other reasons!no persuasion damn EU and their media's.DRM is founded and sponsored by evil minds!I support pirates rather than DRMing whole software and hardware!
The problem with DRM is it limits a persons freedom with respect to the product he/she uses. Why shouldn't I be able to switch mp3 players to listen to DRM content at the same quality that I was able to listen to them before? Its like having a car which will only run if you use JK Tyres (Which is obviously good for JK and bad for the consumer). Maybe my example sucks so I'll post a few others.

"1. I want to watch an Egyptian movie for my Middle Eastern studies class. But it is region coded not to play on my DVD player, in an effort to stop piracy. Now I have to hack my DVD player and break the law to get it to play. The movie isn't released in the U.S. This is the only version that was ever published. Since it isn't published in the US, and it's for academic purposes, I can rip it make copies for my classmates. That's fair use. But since I have to break the DRM to copy it -- I've broken the law anyway.
Source: *blog.wired.com/music/2007/02/how_to_explain_.html

To OSS users its not about DRM preventing Piracy thats the issue . Its the problem with it limiting the freedom that comes with the software / product. Nonetheless I'm not taking the high stance of the "I don't Pirate Vision." As I said before if it suits my needs then yes I might. But insisting on any correlation between OSS users and copyright infringements is sheerly absurd. To illustrate my example further. I would be using the same Pirated Music / Movies if I were using Non-OSS products.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
well that answers my question ..

One Last Question.. Is Violation GPL a Crime?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
One Last Question.. Is Violation GPL a Crime?
Yes.
^^ but here people are saying copyright violation and GPL is not related
Unfortunately I'm a bit confused at this point. I always believed that a product which has been licensed under GPL or Creative Commons etc is said to be copyrighted and hence violating the GPL or CC is hence a violation of the copyright. I might be wrong here. But I think that is the case. One gets a copyright only after he/she has licensed whatever product he/she has.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You own the copyright for something you create. You grant licenses to others to use it. :)

So copyright violation is quite a bit different from actual GPL violation. Cause you can call it a copyright matter if someone copies your work, and according to the accompanying license, refuses to release the copied work with source. You do need copyrights to protect your work in the first place, license violation is stuck upon this one's violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom