Digital Camera : Sony or Panasonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
wait for 2 mnths the price will falll... wait for another 2 months and the price will fall more... this is fong on always.... now that time is gone when we waited for months fr the price to comedown. U need it but iut when it is new..

hailgautam

Youngling
Today I bought the S3 IS. I got it for 19K + 2GB Maxell SD Card+4 NiMH Batteries + Charger+ Camera Bag 3K all for 22K.

Nice deal I think, as I was thought the camera will cost me the MRP of nearly 26-27K + all the accessories. If I were to buy a Sony I would have got it at the Sony World at 30K+ accessories. so saved 10K

-------------------------------

And this is the first picture I took:

*lh5.google.com/_b_nHz7732To/RcF-7u791FI/AAAAAAAAAME/hK77NkQnYfU/s1600/IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
hailgautam said:
Today I bought the S3 IS. I got it for 19K + 2GB Maxell SD Card+4 NiMH Batteries + Charger+ Camera Bag 3K all for 22K.

Nice deal I think, as I was thought the camera will cost me the MRP of nearly 26-27K + all the accessories. If I were to buy a Sony I would have got it at the Sony World at 30K+ accessories. so saved 10K

Congrats on your purchase...:p

I am really looking forward to some first hand review from you. :cool: Do keep us posted how it works.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I'm still open to S3 or H5! After this thread one has got H5 n the other has got S3. Want to see the quality of the photos and what the owners think abt their cams. :D

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
The color reproduction is WOW & the dust in pics minimal in the H5.
And the users feel that the camera actually beautifies the actual photo. People look much better in this camera as compared to other cameras!!! Other user opinions... not mine.

The camera's a little bulkier than other point&shooters... but hey... it's not a point&shooter.. it's prosumer, and a curvy one too. It feels like it is made to be held caressingly. Fits perfectly in the hand.

Unedited pics.. xcept for the watermark I added.
Details of camera make, ISO... on right-click->Properties->Advanced of the downloaded file

Still learning the basics... so all photos in automatic mode.. not pro/manual-mode. NO TRIPOD USED.

@ Max zoom... incl. smart zoom.
*img295.imageshack.us/img295/3104/dsc00259newzv2.th.jpg *img170.imageshack.us/img170/3590/dsc00347newzq4.th.jpg *img295.imageshack.us/img295/7928/dsc00361ny3.th.jpg
The moon has never come this close to me *img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

Good red-eye removal... in fact none.
*img170.imageshack.us/img170/7338/dsc00160eg5.th.jpg

This is a impromptu shot... fast reaction... just when I saw a squirrel running on a wire. Done @ zoom around 6-8x. Check out the detail in the squirrel tail hairs.
*img170.imageshack.us/img170/5847/dsc00210newvd2.th.jpg

Slight purple fringing in some high-contrast pics... But can be resolved in photoshop. See here.
Fast startup... fast focussing & capturing. A little lag in low-light focussing, but the results r excellent.

One more useful feature.. smart zoom... as in other Sony Digicams... meaning supposing u r takin pics lower than ur highest resolution... like I'm takin 3-5Megapix pics on my 7.2megapix cam... I can actually zoom more than 12x... i.e. camera takes 7.2megapix picture while cropping the pic during the xtra zoom... realtime... Meanin u get actual picture without loss of quality.. because no extrapolation is done... same highest-resolution pic.. cropped.

More on smart zoom: 1, 2.

Conclusion... I felt a little dejected @ the quality in the begin.. when I tried xperimenting the manual modes... it was my fault... i had half-knowledge on photography... so i decided to stay in automode till I learn the other half ;). The results.. fabulous. The camera rocks. I luv my cherished one. My prrreeeciousssssss.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
Great photos dude! This post made me think to buy H5 only.

In the UAE, there's not much difference between the S3 and H5. It's only Dhs 100 (Rs 1,200) and we need to buy charger/batteries for S3 which comes at Dhs 50 or so. So if I'm buying S3, then it's beacuse it made me feel it's a better cam than H5 and not beacause of the price difference.

Now waiting for hailgautam post. :D

hailgautam

Youngling
Ok, this might seem funny.

*lh6.google.com/_b_nHz7732To/RcQ2KVjYdJI/AAAAAAAAAP0/cugcww7cU8c/s1600/IMG_0007.JPG

*lh3.google.com/_b_nHz7732To/RcQ2KljYdKI/AAAAAAAAAP8/5ofAXXGEsnE/s1600/IMG_0008.JPG

Wait!! it is funny. Could not take any serious pictures yet, except for these 2 that I took for the blog. and a just a few others.

Review:
Build:
1. at 410g it is heavier than my previous Sony DSC 5W, but feels handy, not to large or small and also feels quite solid.
2. Every time i switch on the camera lens cap falls down. I always forget to remove before switching on.
3. The buttons seemed to be pretty well lay out; the Manual Focus and Macro button are on the left side of lens.
4. It got a plastic tripod mount !!
5. It got a rotating LCD display which addictive.
6. It has stereo microphone and speaker.
7. takes 4 batteries so on a single charge maximum number of pictures can be taken compared to any other roughly @ 500 pix.

Oparation
1. The camera supports the following modes:
a. Auto
b. Portrait
c. Landscape
d. Night Scene
e. Sports
f. Special Scene: it further includes the following
i Fire Works
ii. Color Accent - only one color can be seen rest b/w
iii. Color Swap- changes one color for another
iv. Night Snap Shot
v. Indoor
vi. Foliage
vii. Snow
vii.Beach​
g. Stitch Assist
h.Movie
i. Program AE
g. Shutter Speed Priority AE - It is similar to Program AE - however you the camera takes 2 more picture 1 above the shutter speed specified by you and one below. (this does not work on the best quality, largest size mode)
h. Aperture-priority AE - same as above here the aperture changed. These 2 modes are very good for amatures as it lets them know what are the effect of light and timing on the picute one takes.
i. Manual​
2. Most of the variable can be adjusted through the Function button on the back, except for in Auto mode - ofcourse why else it would be Auto Mode :) . There is also custom White balance if you wantand 11 color modes incl vivid, natural, sepia, b/w et al.

3. The file size in the Superfine Mode at the Largest Resolution the file size is approx 2.7MB and up (the above broken glass 1st pix 2.8 and 2nd 3.1 in the native resolution)

4. The camera supports themes but they are only to hear. the startup screen is hardly visible as it starts up pretty quick.

5. no red-eye, as you can see.
*gomzyonline.googlepages.com/IMG_0004.JPG/IMG_0004-full.jpg

6. It allows upto 48X Zoom when used the Digital Zoom. And there is a Super Macro that lets you take a picture from 0"

7. Fast continuous shoot at 2.3 shots/second - does not work in the Sports mode - only 1.5 shot/second

8. There is a custom button on the back which can be used for setting the following functions"
a. Shooting mode
b. Record Menu settings
c.zoom location and
d. Manual focus location​
9. It has Auto rotate function which changes the oriantation of the camera, so that you don't have to rotate the picute on your computer, However the Function Menu does not change:confused:. It would have been useful if the "Function" menu could also get rotated.

10. There are 4 view modes 2 on LCD and 2 on View finder - 1 each showing only picture and 1 each showing full details. The view can be configured.

11. It has 3 View Modes in the Playback mode - 1. Only Picture, 2. with basic details like date, number, resolution and size 3. Complete details including the Histogram.

12. You can zoom upto 10x on the LCD and 9 picture can be seen at most on the LCD for review in the index playback mode. The Zoom button is used to magnify pictures.

Software
the following software are given with the camera:
1. ArcSoft PhotoStudio - junior photoshop that too trimed down.
2.Zoom Browser - for downloading images from a camera, and then viewing, editing, and printing them. Movie Edit for editing movies, PhotoStitch for creating panaroma. It also has remote capture - when connected to the computer you can take a picture from PC. Quality not so good as it looks a bit grainy. Or may be i could not take a good one see here:
*lh6.google.com/_b_nHz7732To/RcGDJ-791MI/AAAAAAAAANU/Fh7rxlDdFhg/s1600/Capture_00002.JPG

Conclusion:
No conclusion because I am just an armature - who would blindly say I love my camera - just because I own it. Having said that I must say that the photo quality is very good, it starts up super quick and has a better continuous mode; I liked the color reproduction as well, see the previous post.

Ya! by the way it is my first review ever.

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
hailgautam said:
I am just an armature

You sure ? :D

Just joking...Congrats on your first review. Anyway it would have been helpful to have a few more pics.

BTW, koolbluez...how much did the H5 cost you ? Did you buy it from SonyWorld or the gray market ?

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Can anybody quote price of Sony H5 in Kolkata ?

Is it advisable to buy it from gray market ? :confused:

Please reply ASAP

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
royal said:
Hi All,

I plan to buy a 12X Digital camera (mostly for outdoor shooting while travelling). My choice is restricted between these two ...

Sony DSC H5

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ30

Which do you think will be better ? :confused:

It would be helpful if you can quote approx. international prices (since I will be getting it from UK). Also feel free to suggest any other brands/models which you think is better than these. :)

can u tell me the price of lumix dmc fz50, i was looking for the same last 10days ago in kolkata market didn't find any shop selling it. i was very impressed with fz50's review. pls lemme know.

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
sysfilez said:
can u tell me the price of lumix dmc fz50, i was looking for the same last 10days ago in kolkata market didn't find any shop selling it. i was very impressed with fz50's review. pls lemme know.

Even I didn't find one.Search in eBay for FZ50 in Calcutta and you can find it for approx. 27500/-.You can also look here.

However I am not too comfortable buying Digital camera from there. Do you people think it is okay? I can get H5 for 20000/- in eBay ;) whereas in SonyWorld it's gonna cost me 30000/- :mad:

So others please comment how advisable is it to buy from eBay.

Last edited:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
@royal... bought it from SonyWorld itself... costed me a huge 29k.
The price is 29990/-. But I bargained with the showroom guyz & got it for 100/- less!!!
Also I exchanged with them my old Sony camera and got some more reduction.

I won't advice u to buy in gray, although it'll b a lot cheaper...(@ my place it comes for 20.5k)... as there won't be any warranty/guarantee.
When I pay 30k of my hard-earned money for an item... I want it to b within some sorta warranty.
Also Sony's service is always top-notch.

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
wel i have never purchased any stuff online, cant comment on the same. Sony World prices are very high, they charge u catalogue price maximum MRP. u can get the same stuff from other shop at much cheap rate. I have no problem buying from gray market if the price diff is too much.

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
sysfilez said:
wel i have never purchased any stuff online, cant comment on the same. Sony World prices are very high, they charge u catalogue price maximum MRP. u can get the same stuff from other shop at much cheap rate. I have no problem buying from gray market if the price diff is too much.

I agree, 10K difference is too much for an aam janta like me :neutral:

In gray I won't get bill/warranty and in eBay , I'll get 1 year warranty. Price will be more or less same. So I ask again , do you people think it is safe to buy from ebay ? :confused:

P.S. I shall be travelling to UK next week so probably I'll get it from there. :rolleyes:

It seems I can get it from UK at Rs.21000...seems a fair deal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom