Digital Camera : Sony or Panasonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

royal

Padawan
Hi All,

I plan to buy a 12X Digital camera (mostly for outdoor shooting while travelling). My choice is restricted between these two ...

Sony DSC H5

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ30

Which do you think will be better ? :confused:

It would be helpful if you can quote approx. international prices (since I will be getting it from UK). Also feel free to suggest any other brands/models which you think is better than these. :)

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
i have used H5 and it is simply awesome... i prefer that as i have also planned to get it from US next month...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
royal said:
What are the pros and cons? And when did you buy it and from where?
It is 6Mp with 12 X optical zoom and with image stabilization ( to prevent blurred pictures due to hand shake, especially at tele settings) from a more reputed brand. You can see the specifications here
*www.jjmehta.com/products/canons3is.html

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
H5 is a 7.2 megapix, 12x optical zoom, image-stabilized, with almost no dust upto iso 400, has a 3inch screen & a strong flash.

The only place where the Canon leads is swivelling lcd & slightly lesser purple fringing.

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
Anyone owning a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50 ? And first hand experience will be preferred over tech specs ...

BTW, neither H5 nor S3IS has options for fitting an external flash :(

Last edited:

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
royal said:
Anyone owning a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50 ? And first hand experience will be preferred over tech specs ...

BTW, neither H5 nor S3IS has options for fitting an external flash :(

I don;t think an external flash is needed for personal use...

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
ajayashish said:
I don;t think an external flash is needed for personal use...

You never know when it might come in handy ;)

BTW, you seem to be a Nikon fan...can you suggest any suitable model for me?

Last edited:
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
I would have loved to hear from a Lumix owner ... :(

I read gr8 review of it...at par with H5 and S3IS :cool:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Even I'm planning to buy a cam in the same category.

Check these 2 links:
*www.tech2.com/india/topstuff/prosumer/the-best-superzoom-camera-of-2006/3529/0 ---> "The Best Superzoom Camera of 2006"
and
*www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-fz50_reviews.html --> "Most Powerful Extended Zoom Camera"

They're telling that F Z50 is better than H5 and S3.

Remember that whatever review that I read they say that F Z50 has the best image stabilization. For shots at 12X, this IS thing will play a huge role.

Myself and koolbluez had a talk abt this things and I noted:
H5 has these advantages :
1. 3" LCD
2. Battery charger but bundled battery charger is super slow.
3. ISO 1000 (S3 has upto ISO 800)
4. 1 MP more
5. like you said runs on 2 batteries only.
6. Shots on low light is better in H5, even in the same ISO ratings. DCRP says:"The DSC-H5 is definitely cleaner than the PowerShot S3 at ISO 40."
7. 32 mb Internal memory compared to 16mb memory card.

Where as S3 scored in
1. Less purple fringing
2. In the end of the day, it's boils to the cost. It's around 2k cheaper!
3. Swivel LCD --> once if you get spoiled by it you'll never buy any other cam without this feature.

FZ50 scores in:
1. 10 Mega cam
2. Good IS
3. Swivel LCD
4. High ISO ratings (upto 3200)
5. Rechargable batteries (Sony's charing is very slow --> read in reviews, same as in Nikon L2)

Only thing is FZ50 is expensive and maybe it's out of my focus. Plus it's weiging more than 725 grams!

I'm too confused now. I even thought of buying W 500, then A710/A640 and now again back to this 12X dilema. Will the wieght be a factor?

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
royal said:
You never know when it might come in handy ;)

BTW, you seem to be a Nikon fan...can you suggest any suitable model for me?

I am not a Nikon fan as such... i am a Graphic designer and i like taking pics... I have used Sony and nikon both but Sony dosn't gives a natural look (my personal thoughts) as the pics are more bright in it... Nikon has given me the best results and i am using P1 for now... just now i have thought of switching to Sony H5 as it has a amazing 12X zoom and 6mp cam...

and for ur cam just give me a range u are looking for and the purpose u want it for

and for external flash ... no one in personal use carry one... atleast i have never seen anyone yet neither do i carry one as all the personal click and soot cams have no place for them

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
i have a pesonal opinion here as i have played around with many digi cams... Sony is best for personal Click and Shoot ... but Nikon comes for professinals and photographers...

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
ajayashish my budget is from 20000-25000. Maybe I can extend it by 5000 if I get a good deal.

drgrudge FZ50 lags in the fact that it has more noise at higher ISO ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom