Digital camera quick reference buying guide

nac

Aspiring Novelist
DIGITAL CAMERA QUICK REFERENCE BUYING GUIDE

*s16.postimg.org/atdm1f0v9/output_Jqr_EPo.gif​
*4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS590x382~articles/0667380974/GR_website-visual-1-HD.jpeg​

Point and shoot camera market have been dying for years now and manufacturer shifted their focus to advanced compacts. It's hard to see sub 10k point and shoot to do significantly better than your smartphone. Almost all sub 10k houses CCD sensor which just shoots HD video in 4k era and it's painfully slow in performance.

No. of cameras announced getting lesser every year, some manufacturers stopped production of basic point and shoot and some manufacturers aren't launching them in Indian market. Lately, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji's presence is getting narrow and Samsung is exiting from this business in many countries. Our choices are very less comparitively. Point and shoot buyers don't have 100s of choices like in the past, in a way it's good. Less confusing, easy to narrow down, time saving...

Many of the reviewing sites are not even reviewing basic models at all. Guess, these are not interesting enough any more. What they can do? It's a dying breed. Manufacturers are housing lots of zoom in the cameras to attract, but that pushes the cost higher. Almost all of those travel/bridge zoom cameras cost as much as a DSLR, in fact some are costlier than DSLR.

As this segment of the camera is almost dead, the need of this thread is almost nil. Probably, this is my last update here.

Those who are looking to buy, this is just a guide. So,

* Do your own research before buying.
* Read reviews of the cameras you have narrowed down.
* Every camera has it's own merits and demerits, so don't dig too much to find "the best" camera and confuse yourself.
* Finally, try the camera before buying esp. if you're investing big and look for the best deal around.

BASICTRAVEL ZOOM

BRIDGE
LARGE SENSOR CAMERA
RUGGED
*www.jessops.com/ce-images/PRODUCT/PRODUCT_LARGE/ACANOCM105281154.jpg*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41eDm7aZaSL._SY300_.jpg*i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oHoAAOSw8-tWU8Jh/s-l300.jpg*cdn.toptenreviews.com/rev/prod/ce/64192-olympus-box.jpg*www.jessops.com/ce-images/PRODUCT/PRODUCT_LARGE/ANIKOCM105276346.jpg
Canon IXUS 285
Nikon S6900/S7000
Canon SX620/SX720
Nikon A900
Sony WX500
Sony HX90
Nikon B500/B700
Nikon P900
Panasonic FZ300
Canon G1X Mark II
Canon G9X/G7X Mark II/G5X/G3X
Olympus Stylus 1
Panasonic FZ1000
Ricoh GR II
Sony RX10 series
Sony RX100 series
Sony RX1R II
Nikon AW130

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
good work nac...but i cant actually distinguish ur green color...its too faint...can u use any other color like purple or red

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys...

I hope this thread will help narrowing down the models sooner or at least give some idea before buying.

Niilesh

Padawan
Buying a new Dslr. need a semi prof. one, just for beginner's ! where can i get a fair and best deal (range 35 k-50k !). Also, tell me should go for Canon or Nikon?
people told me about NikonD3100 ,
Canon600D,
Canon1100D
also a good lens with the camera, least- 18-105mm.
I NEED IT AS FOR MY COURSE REQUIRES! i have no clue, please help! asap!

sujoyp

Grand Master
Buying a new Dslr. need a semi prof. one, just for beginner's ! where can i get a fair and best deal (range 35 k-50k !). Also, tell me should go for Canon or Nikon?
people told me about NikonD3100 ,
Canon600D,
Canon1100D
also a good lens with the camera, least- 18-105mm.
I NEED IT AS FOR MY COURSE REQUIRES! i have no clue, please help! asap!

nilesh this is a point and shoot camera thread...start ur own thread and i will help ;)

arjoonpk

Broken In
heyy i'm planning to buy a digicam with manual controls.... my budget is upto 15k...
i did go through many models and the ones that really impressed me are
CANON POWERSHOT SX150 IS and
NIKON COOLPIX L310......
many helpful user reviews were available on net for sx150... n sadly none for nikon L310... i guess its a new model.... please anyone help me choose a better result cam among the 2......

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ What you are askin' is already in the "Budget" models, just check out. L310 doesn't have full manual controls.

arjoonpk

Broken In
^ What you are askin' is already in the "Budget" models, just check out. L310 doesn't have full manual controls.

nikon 1310 price is Rs 13000 and that of sx150 is Rs 9500..... still if nikon doesnt have full manual controls what other advantages does the former have on other but the extra zoom......... specs looks almost the same except the the zoom and size.........

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
nikon 1310 price is Rs 13000 and that of sx150 is Rs 9500..... still if nikon doesnt have full manual controls what other advantages does the former have on other but the extra zoom......... specs looks almost the same except the the zoom and size.........

Nikon L310 has PASM mode. There is no manual focus though. Nikon offers wider aperture and decent CMOS sensor (still noisy than its rival Panasonic and Sony)

Sorry I was talking about the P310. As nac pointed out L310 has no advantage over SX150

Also look for Samsung WB150F and maybe TZ25

There is a similar discussion going on here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cameras-c...g-camera-manual-controls-budget-upto-16k.html

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Arjoon,
If you want entry level bridge cams, L810 is little better than L310. And also you have few cams from other brands,
Olympus SP810 UZ
Fuji S2950 (Latest version S2980)
Fuji S4200 and S4500

Fuji is little better. PASM mode, EVF...

Prashant,
L310 has neither PASM mode nor CMOS sensor.

arjoonpk

Broken In
thanks for the comments all...... seems canon sx150 IS is a good buy than l310...

i had also looked into some l310 and sx150 pics... i kinda felt sx150 pics have a unique touch.......
but the thing that concerns me on buying the sx150 is its battery issue.....
all the reviews i came across equally say it has poor battery life on ordinary batteries......
but is it a sure thing that the battery life improves with alkaline batteries....
or does anyone have a better choice of batteries....

To nac,
which set of batteries and charger do you use on your sx130... and what battery life do u get.....??

Last edited:

arjoonpk

Broken In
heyy guys what happened... why no replies...... please pals do help me out.... i'm planning 2 buy a cam by this tuesday... i have 2 make a decision before that......

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
In your budget there are better cameras than these two. If you're convinced fine.

Yes, SX150 has battery issues. If you're buying SX150 buy one pair of Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAH battery (NiMH) and a quick charger. Definitely battery life won't increase with alkaline batteries, but with NiMH.

I am using Sanyo Eneloop batteries and Envie Speedster quick charger. For more info check this post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/1545220-post63.html
and also the whole thread if you have time. You may get some more info...

arjoonpk

Broken In
nac,
which better cams do u suggest that keep in my budget(16k max)....
now that i am looking for a manual control one like sx150.....

as i said i'm planning to buy a cam today.... from all i read canon sx150 seems 2 suit me well.... but i would like to have a reserve option.... in case u know.... is fuji 2980 any good.... i mean any better than canon......??

Top Bottom