Digit Interface in Linux/Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Re: HOWTO: Running Digit Interface in Linux

WINE runs natively in Linux and on top of it I ran Digit interface, in a way it is only a port. And how can you assert I can run .EXE in Linux without WINE. I do not know the source code of Digit OS anyway.
WINE is GPL and open source and I do not know why it is not the right way to run DigitOS(read: a Windows only application) in Linux?

You can run .EXEs on Linux if they are standard code. I was not talking about Digit's source code, I was talking about Adobe.

Code:
abc@def ~ $ ./Hello.exe
Hello World!
abc@def ~ $

There you go, I just ran an .exe on Linux. Do you now understand what a .exe actually means?

// Compiled with VS 2005

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

You can run .EXEs on Linux if they are standard code. I was not talking about Digit's source code, I was talking about Adobe.

Code:
abc@def ~ $ ./Hello.exe
Hello World!
abc@def ~ $
There you go, I just ran an .exe on Linux. Do you now understand what a .exe actually means?

// Compiled with VS 2005
For that the code must not contain a specific Windows or Mac code.
And for your information, the EXE code you executed is surely been marked as executable and even if you rename it as .txt or .doc or .odt it will still execute.
In Linux code will executes not because of its extension but because it has been marked as executable using chmod.
If you show the source code of the program it might have only generic headers like iostream, etc. which all common in all gcc, borland, VS or any other compiler. Now try compiling say a .NET or MFC based program and try to run in Linux without WINE.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Code:
abc@def ~ $ ./Hello.exe
Hello World!
abc@def ~ $

// Compiled with VS 2005
i thought extensions doesn't matter in linux (even for image, audio and video) as long as the file has executable attribute

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

i thought extensions doesn't matter in linux (even for image, audio and video) as long as the file has executable attribute
Yes. Extensions do not matter in Linux at all. In fact in GNOME even if you rename an ogg Music file to odt it will still consider it as an audio file and not a document.

Its still impossible, only that you used Wine to do it. Any native way to execute that flash code and then you can prove you did it in the right way. By the way, SWF and FLV codes have gone open source. :)
Well they have to give the FLV or SWF with their CD as well.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Why do you want to go to hell to run something which digit doesn't want linux users to be allowed?
They ignore linux users, we should respond back and ignore them.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

Exactly, while Windows is very dependent on it. I just don't like the idea of people saying they can't run .exe files on Linux, when they must be saying Windows Programs more specifically. Gives an impression that they "know" stuff. :)

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Why do you want to go to hell to run something which digit doesn't want linux users to be allowed?
I don't think they do not want linux users to run digit interface but I think they do not wish to bother with it.
Yeah, as such this was not needed but I suppose it doesn't harm if you manage to run it like this, does it?
Well I have written letters to the folks at digit time and again to include more linux stuff and while most of the time they ignored, they also made false promises that they will work for an HTML interface.
Perhaps we SHOULD ignore them.

Exactly, while Windows is very dependent on it. I just don't like the idea of people saying they can't run .exe files on Linux, when they must be saying Windows Programs more specifically. Gives an impression that they "know" stuff. :)
Well .EXE programs are generally Windows/DOS programs.
In Linux files have to attributed as executable. Of course .EXE files will run under Linux if it is not Windows specific code and it is either executed by sh command or attributed as executable.

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart

I see no point in the discussion..Anurag found something and shared it with us and thats very nice of him! Also the points made by everyone are valid and yet it seems like a big argument going on here!

slugger

Banned

d same reason people use Hackintosh :)

proof of concept.....or simply take a tech pangaa

praka123

left this forum longback

what does digit contains reg linux anyways?some sourcecodes? :rolleyes:
poor n00b's will get lost thinking they can double click like in winblows to install.
and reg using wine:it is a pity that this project exists :x

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

d same reason people use Hackintosh :)

proof of concept.....or simply take a tech pangaa
Exactly! Like the "Take a Crack"

... and reg using wine:it is a pity that this project exists :x
I do not understand why so many of you hate WINE? After all WINE exists so that people when require to run Windows software be able to run Windows software in Linux without using Windows and ultimately keeping them away from Windows.
Look at so many games like in Orange Box, Hidden & Dangerous, etc. many of them run pretty well in WINE and at least this ables the Linux users to run such games without purchasing or pir*ting Windows.
I sincerely hope that the WINE is temporary and mainstream games are made natively for Linux and tech magazine and other companies make their interface/software native for Linux.
Do you really think that if WINE didn't exist companies would have made native software for Linux? I don't think so. Look at our own Magazine Digit which promised but never created even a simple interface, even an HTML interface and created and interface only for Windows, ignoring both Linux and Mac.
You should not throw dirt on creators of WINE, if you have anybody to blame, blame those software gaints, hardware vendors, and people like the folks at Digit.
(I must emphasize that I do not hate the folks of Digit, I'm only angry for such a neglected step child approach they have for Linux)

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

What I don't understand is this:

Lets say we do open Digit's Flash interface . What do you intend on installing from it? I doubt there is anything provided other than Distros ? I guess if there is then it might help folks with dial up connections.

I don't think they do not want linux users to run digit interface but I think they do not wish to bother with it.
Yeah, as such this was not needed but I suppose it doesn't harm if you manage to run it like this, does it?

If they don't wish to bother with it , then how different is it from "not wanting Linux users to run it." When was the last time you saw tricks and tips about Linux (any distro) in the Magazine? I haven't gone through the magazines that through but I don't recall seeing any. For a company that " supposedly supports Open Source" I see basically minimal guidance to help the average Joe make the change. But then again it is a business so I guess its catering to the majority of users in this forum.

Anyway back to the topic. The tip is great. Maybe it might help later on if I use a DVD/CD which has a .exe file as an interface or whatever. But I seriously doubt if ANYONE from this community (who use Linux) would use it for "Accessing the Digit Interface."

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

It's definitely not a pity that WINE exists, imho, it exists because Windows resides on the 95% of the world's desktops and I'm very much thankful for the WINE project. As of nowadays, I'm happily playing my (Windows)games on WINE like CoD2 Online, F1 2007, TmNations Online etc.

I really hope them elitists leave this attitude at home because after all, OSS is about choice, giving the user a choice as they feel fit to choose, not shoving it down their throat.

mehulved

My problem isn't with wine project but with softwares made in such a way that necessitate wine.
Projects like uTorrent do a great job, though they don't have a linux port, they make sure it works on linux using wine, without minimum fuss.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!

Well atlast for ppl at Digit its their sale tht matters the most...
So everything i.e. the content,interface wll be tuned to attract the masses n maximize sales ( windows user n ppl new to technology)
For those 95% ppl an attractive flash interface is more cherished than a less attractive HTML interaface..

Correct me if i m Wrong!

mehulved

An attractive interface can be achieved by using DHTML and javascript and stuff, too. And it will work on all the OS's.
And if they think we don't fit in their marketing plan, we should retort back too. One of the reasons why I stopped buying the mag years back.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!

mehulved said:
An attractive interface can be achieved by using DHTML and javascript and stuff, too. And it will work on all the OS's.

Digit sticks to the Vista pc theme........Can we get it through DHTML and java scripts??

mehulved

I haven't seen the vista interface since I stopped buying digit years back. But, I have seen some mac like themes made using css and buttons created in PS. I really doubt if it's such a thing that can't be done without using flash.

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

And if they think we don't fit in their marketing plan, we should retort back too. One of the reasons why I stopped buying the mag years back.
For the same reason I have not brought Digit since my subscription expired.
I also recommended the folks at Digit to make a special HTML interface for Linux users. It could seriously have been a text only one and with instructions on installing the Linux programs they provide in their CD/DVDs. They told they would look into it but perhaps it is a way of ignoring a matter.

Most of the programs they bundle are source code based and even an experienced Linux user will struggle to install them and so they should put the HOWTOs and make it easy to install Linux apps and at least instructions for one major distro be it OpenSUSE or Fedora or Ubuntu.
Many of their packages are DEB/RPM based and it is well known that rarely one can use to install them without being tripped by dependency hell. I recommend them to focus on at least one mainstream distro perhaps different distros every month.
Here I think what they can do. Create an ISO image which acts as a repository and makes it easy for Ubuntu users to use APT to install software.

*help.ubuntu.com/community/AptMoveHowto

And this would be a boon for Ubuntu users who do not have access to the internet.

Well atlast for ppl at Digit its their sale tht matters the most...
So everything i.e. the content,interface wll be tuned to attract the masses n maximize sales ( windows user n ppl new to technology)
For those 95% ppl an attractive flash interface is more cherished than a less attractive HTML interaface..

Correct me if i m Wrong!
Yes it would be.
But it would not harm if they make an alternate DHTML based interface for Linux users.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom