Digit Interface in Linux/Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Has anybody succeeded in running the Digit Flash interface in Ubuntu or any other Linux distro. I tried using Wine but it manages to run all flash programs like Miniclip Games except the Digit CD interface :mad:.
If anybody has succeded please reply?

praka123

left this forum longback
that DVD/CD Autorun thingy is meant to run in Windows OS :(
But u can have flash,sound etc working in browser.We do have.
OK.so u may not have installed the plugins in Ubuntu may be :?
try below guide and this section for such queries and internet connection configuration etc-replied many times.
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Multimedia_Players_.26_Browser_Plug-ins
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_add_extra_repositories
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Automatix2

*ubuntuguide.org

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I know the autorun does not work in Linux. But with sound, video and all working in Firefox integrated flash and one of my cds bundled with my pc which does not autorun but I can run it by:
Code:
wine /media/cdrom/flash.exe
However the digit interface does not run. Even the digit icon appears in the notification bar(a.k.a. taskbar) but I can go no further and it ends up in a white screen.:confused:

praka123

left this forum longback
I hope u knows that Linux is very different and Wine is just emulating in UNIX environment,win32 things.for flash and all things to work,u need to install firefox,flash etc for windows using wine and it is a bad way too-and it is tough too.

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Yes I know Linux is very different. I've used Ubuntu for over 6 months now. I am very much aware that Wine is far from perfect. But if WINE can run Miniclip Games and CD-ROM Flash EXEs of the CDROM bundled with my PC, surely it can run the Digit CD with a little of tweaking.
I know the result would not be perfect. I've tried as I know but no avail. It may be a bad way but surely the Digit Team's making the interface only for Windows is even worse! I hope Team Digit does something about that.

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
HOWTO: Running Digit Interface in Linux

I have found the way of running Digit interface in Linux.

(EDIT) I removed the original link and put the tips here itself.

Few of us like to play standalone flash based games or some of us have to view flash based programs bundled either from some CD distributor or with a Magazine CD. Some of them run very well in vanilla installation of WINE but few of them need other Windows components and cannot run well under WINE in Linux.

However now running Flash based programs in Linux using WINE is a child’s play. You can play any flash based game or flash based interface in WINE by following the subsequent steps:

* Install WINE.
* Download ies4linux from this site and install ies4linux.
* Press Alt + F2 and type ~/.ies4linux/ie6 and press enter.
* At the same time press Alt+F2 and type ~/.wine
* Now copy all the contents from the former folder to latter folder. And when prompted for overwriting, choose Replace All.
* Now go to terminal and type:

wine <flash-program>.exe

You can also drag and drop the program from file manager to the terminal and precede it by wine command. In Ubuntu at least, you can run WINE Windows programs by double clicking it.

Your flash program should run now.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Re: HOWTO: Running Digit Interface in Linux

1) Advertising your own site instead of posting here
2) Who's not heard about wine here?

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Great. :)

But what's the point?

At least the linux users of digit can view what program are in the CD/DVD and few of the programs can be installed in WINE seamlessly.
More this proves the fact that Linux is so much superior to Windows that even if stuff is not designed for it, it will still run it efficiently.
When I wrote the letter to the folks at Digit, they said it was impossible to do this.
I proved them wrong.
(You can see my letter to them in July 2007 copy of Digit)

adi007

Youngling

will try it in my UBUNTU...thanks for the tip and yes i remember your letter to DIGIT(i used to buy during 2007 but not now)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

At least the linux users of digit can view what program are in the CD/DVD and few of the programs can be installed in WINE seamlessly.
More this proves the fact that Linux is so much superior to Windows that even if stuff is not designed for it, it will still run it efficiently.
When I wrote the letter to the folks at Digit, they said it was impossible to do this.
I proved them wrong.
(You can see my letter to them in July 2007 copy of Digit)
Its still impossible, only that you used Wine to do it. Any native way to execute that flash code and then you can prove you did it in the right way. By the way, SWF and FLV codes have gone open source. :)

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Its still impossible, only that you used Wine to do it. Any native way to execute that flash code and then you can prove you did it in the right way. By the way, SWF and FLV codes have gone open source. :)
WINE runs natively in Linux and on top of it I ran Digit interface, in a way it is only a port. And how can you assert I can run .EXE in Linux without WINE. I do not know the source code of Digit OS anyway.
WINE is GPL and open source and I do not know why it is not the right way to run DigitOS(read: a Windows only application) in Linux?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

No it just proves that a determined OSS community can do a lot. It has nothing much to do with linux more to do with wine developers team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom