nCyCoD

Gamer..
Name : Neelothpala Chaitanya
College : PESITM
Branch : Electronics and Communications
Year : III Year

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
one thing i've learned from my engg. is that study in IIT, NIT or BIT i.e. equivalent colleges otherwise there is no point to it.... Seriously you're just getting a degree, no knowledge, no branding and wasting your 4 years + putting up with a lost of horseshite

// no offence to anyone.. people from smaller institutes can end up being successful too, i was generalising

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
one thing i've learned from my engg. is that study in IIT, NIT or BIT i.e. equivalent colleges otherwise there is no point to it.... Seriously you're just getting a degree, no knowledge, no branding and wasting your 4 years + putting up with a lost of horseshite

// no offence to anyone.. people from smaller institutes can end up being successful too, i was generalising

To match elite colleges' students success, you have to be too good at whatever you're doing, otherwise only thing that matters is brand (college).

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Name : The Conqueror
University of Mumbai
Computer Engineering - First Year

Well if you go by arguments like this, then tell me why chemistry is there in first yr common syllabus of branches? There has to be common criteria for the selection process. If you say like this, arts studens will say "we wont study maths straight form class 10 as its not required." Its not at all justified.

Then so be it. Just for the sake of a common 'criteria' are you asking all the animals to climb a tree? "If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, then you are doing it the wrong way".

sarthak

In the zone
Name : Sarthak
VIT University, Vellore
CSE - 2nd year

Then so be it. Just for the sake of a common 'criteria' are you asking all the animals to climb a tree? "If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, then you are doing it the wrong way".

+1 to that.

mitraark

Decrepit
Aptis are better than asking Chemistry Level-N questions for Computer Science aspirants.

I believe even Computer Science aspirants should have the capability to clear the basic Physics Chemistry Mechanics Electrical and Electronics paper .

Yes sometimes the papers are set to tough , the professor might be too strict , but normally one would not always get tested at what he likes so he should have it in him to atleast pass those. I did very badly in a few of those papers but i don;t complaint. Most people who complaint had been to ignorant to give any time to those , that is not really expected of you as you have a few more years of struggle ahead of you.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
There's a good reason why the first year includes seemingly unrelated subjects.

1) A computer science/engineering student can very well get a job in modeling and simulation - in that field it's very important that you understand the physico-chemical parameters and the requisite mathematics.
2) An understanding of basic electric circuits and electronics is VERY helpful when you work as a research scientist/engineer and have to establish experimental apparatus to perform experiments. You will thank your teachers they taught you this stuff - this is why most Physics courses have a fairly in-depth coverage of electronics, as well as most engineers.
3) Engineering drawing experience will help you where you didn't think it would - Electrical Machine Drawing, Chemical Process Plants, Electronic Device Modeling - all are benefited by experience with engineering drawing.
4) Mechanics - For computer students, helps with graphics and scientific programming. For others, well, mechanics is physics and these basic laws are used for modelling the motion of virtually any particle. Compare the parallels between process dynamics (chemical engineering) and classical dynamics (Mechanics) for example.
5) Communication Skills - let's face it, engineers are neither the best brains nor have an outstanding ability to speak any language. You *need* this.

A lot of people may feel these subjects are unnecessary or do not see the relation between the first year and the remaining three years. However, the fact is that every science and every engineering field is related - you have to be really, really observant to find where the fields merge. Very few will put forth that effort - and that is why engineering education sucks, it is built on a shallow hypothesis that a specific field should be limited to a specific task.

What our system really needs to focus on is to see how the 12th score and those lousy unscientific entrance exams can actually find talented students instead of the current crop. Also note that our industry and society favours engineering over science, not knowing that the two are not very different at all! For example:

1) Accelerator Physics - sounds like science right? It's as much Electronics as it is Physics.
2) Microwave Technology - You will not get anywhere without knowing at least elementary physics.
3) Control Systems - Traditionally regarded as an engineering specialization, Control Systems is a multidisciplinary applied science that uses aspects of Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (believe it) and Mathematics.
4) Semiconductor Physics and Microelectronics - Circuit theory takes a dive with an increased preference for electron motion and fabrication techniques. What stream deals with that stuff? Yeah, Physics, Chemistry and Materials Science....
5) Real Computer Engineering is a mix of mathematics and digital electronics.

In all of the above examples, having purely an engineering background (or purely a science background) will get you *nothing*. It is because our industry (and education system) hasn't realized this yet that we haven't made any headway in any of these fields. The science degrees are equally important and unless you give them the same importance, no progress can and will be made. ;)

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

No body is a fish here. I don't expect a (educated) person to exist who doesn't knows 10th level chemistry/maths which are very aptly applied in day today life. If you do so, overseas may suit you better. Your approach is if not bad, then not good either, and wil require a massive overhaul of education system which is not possible in India given the dedication we put in doing anything.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
No body is a fish here. I don't expect a (educated) person to exist who doesn't knows 10th level chemistry/maths which are very aptly applied in day today life. If you do so, overseas may suit you better. Your approach is if not bad, then not good either, and wil require a massive overhaul of education system which is not possible in India given the dedication we put in doing anything.
No, I am not asking you to completely eradicate chemistry from the syllabus. But certainly that should not be a parameter to decide eligibility. That's what I want to say. If you deny someone who has won a Gold Medal in International Olympiad in Informatics just because he is not very good in mugging up chemistry facts then we are losing computer programmers with outstanding extraordinary abilities and giving them local engineering colleges. Really Good na?

I was just having a look at how Ivy League Institutes admit students: They look at more than one test, they don't keep a cutoff score, they look at your entire profile as a student and your passion which often reflects in your statement of purpose.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
^^ you are correct but this is not possible in india as we have very few good colleges for the large number of candidates

AcceleratorX

Youngling
The thing is, the really good candidates are still few and far between in India: trust me on this. If they actually put the effort in finding those dedicated candidates you will know that such candidates will occupy only 30% of the seats in the Ivy League colleges because the fact of the matter is that those kinds of students are way too few in India. What the current education system is doing is relying on eliminating talent rather than selecting talent mainly because they don't want to put efforts towards finding talent.

The fact of the matter is that every single really successful scientist or engineer from our nation did not have an Ivy League education while he or she was still here, and that speaks volumes about how our system throws away the talent. The education system has failed for the most part and caters to society rather than to reason. The industry doesn't seem to want to bother since it also has old preconceived notions of what is best and what is not.

As someone who has been on every single rung of the academic spectrum, I know all too well what it means to top, to fail, to score good marks, bad marks and the importance of passing a degree. The answer is almost nothing. Your marks and degree have next to nothing to do with your aptitude and that is fact.

Top Bottom