CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I got a C2Q q6600 revision G0 on a gigabyte g41m combo M/B. currently i'm running it @3.0 GHz with multiplier at 9 and bus speed at 333 with FSB at 1333. the Vcore has been raised to 1.275v
If i decrease the multiplier to say 8 and increase bus speed to say 375 to again run it @ 3.0 GHz, will it make any difference in performance and temperature? or say run it @3.2 GHz (400 bus and multiplier 8)

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Undervolted the Athlon II X4 635(2.9GHZ) from 1.4v to 1.175V
difference of load temps is

was 71C at load,
now it does not cross 55C at load.

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Undervolted my Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 to a new low

Primary Specifications

Core Clock 775 MHz
Memory Clock 1000 MHz
Stock Core Voltage 1.150 V (VDDC)
Max Temps at MSI Kombustor DX11 Stress test at 160x900 res would get to 78-81C Auto fan speed

Modified the Core Voltage to 0.950 V (The same voltage used by the card when at 2D/desktop mode
Max Temps at MSI Kombustor DX11 Stress test at 160x900 res would get to 67-69C Auto Fan Speed

Difference of 12C in temps!
and absolutely no change in performance!

@Topgear,
we should have a Undervolt at Stock Clocks,
and Overclock at Stock Volts list too
it'd be interesting to see the demographic.

This is the CPU overclock thread....

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
A first time overclocker here. Overclocked my signature CPU from 3.2 GHz to 3.6 GHz just now. It was apparently easy as it's a Black Edition CPU. Just increased the multiplier to x18 to achieve the overclock without fiddling with anything else. Posting a couple of screens of the BIOS below. Please let me know if anything looks abnormal or suspicious.

*i.imgur.com/pBtSeg6.jpg

*i.imgur.com/xp8UU27.jpg

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything looks fine but you should not perform OC on a motherboard without VRM heatsink specially if the cpu is of 125W TDP. Anyway, I think this mild oc should be just fine though.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

I got a Gigabyte G41m-Combo motherboard with a Q6600 OC @3.0 GHz (333 x 9). Was thinking to OC it a bit further.
I was looking around in the BIOS settings and came across DRAM settings options:
1. Performance Enhance - Standard (default)
2. MCH Frequency Latch - Auto (default)
3. System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - Auto (default)
This way Memory frequency is at 1333 MHz (thats the maximum supported by the board). Then fiddled around a bit and changed the above three to the following:
1. Turbo
2. 333 MHz
3. 3.2 B
This way the Memory frequency became 1066 MHz.
Does this mean that now i can change the FSB to get a higher clock (Above 3 GHz)? LINK to a previous thread of mine for a different OC querry for same setup (pics).

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing....the last time i ran prime95 for 2-3 hours, the system was stable and temps never crossed 70
Yesterday when i ran prime95 w/o the above settings, one worker stopped after a couple of minutes. pumped the Vcore a bit and then second time, another worker stopped after 15 or so minutes. Is it common to be stable at one time and fail some other time?

TheFallenLord

Journeyman
Everything looks fine but you should not perform OC on a motherboard without VRM heatsink specially if the cpu is of 125W TDP. Anyway, I think this mild oc should be just fine though.
Should I just downclock it then? Will it have any negative effect on my components in the long run? Is a VRM heatsink required even when I've not modified any voltages? I've not noticed any rise in temperatures after overclocking (Monitored through hwinfo & hwmonitor). Sorry if I'm asking noob questions. :noob:

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got a Gigabyte G41m-Combo motherboard with a Q6600 OC @3.0 GHz (333 x 9). Was thinking to OC it a bit further.
I was looking around in the BIOS settings and came across DRAM settings options:
1. Performance Enhance - Standard (default)
2. MCH Frequency Latch - Auto (default)
3. System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - Auto (default)
This way Memory frequency is at 1333 MHz (thats the maximum supported by the board). Then fiddled around a bit and changed the above three to the following:
1. Turbo
2. 333 MHz
3. 3.2 B
This way the Memory frequency became 1066 MHz.
Does this mean that now i can change the FSB to get a higher clock (Above 3 GHz)? LINK to a previous thread of mine for a different OC querry for same setup (pics).

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing....the last time i ran prime95 for 2-3 hours, the system was stable and temps never crossed 70
Yesterday when i ran prime95 w/o the above settings, one worker stopped after a couple of minutes. pumped the Vcore a bit and then second time, another worker stopped after 15 or so minutes. Is it common to be stable at one time and fail some other time?

Prime95 could be buggy but 2 - 3 hours of prime95 run is not enough for stability check. You can go higher but that would depend on vrm cooling, vcore needs to push the cpu more and strength of NB / MCH. As for a personal opinion I think you've reached the limit with such a budget board.

Should I just downclock it then? Will it have any negative effect on my components in the long run? Is a VRM heatsink required even when I've not modified any voltages? I've not noticed any rise in temperatures after overclocking (Monitored through hwinfo & hwmonitor). Sorry if I'm asking noob questions. :noob:

as long as you don't need additional vcore I think you're good.

Hrishi

has anyone of you come across any article which explains or experiments on Under-clocking a Mobile Intel Core I series processor , like I3/I5/I7 SB/IVB . ?
Summer is back , and the scorching heat in Delhi makes the Quad IVB CPU really hot while playing games , and being a laptop CPU , you just can't help it much , ( IVBM are notorious for it ).

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
has anyone of you come across any article which explains or experiments on Under-clocking a Mobile Intel Core I series processor , like I3/I5/I7 SB/IVB . ?
Summer is back , and the scorching heat in Delhi makes the Quad IVB CPU really hot while playing games , and being a laptop CPU , you just can't help it much , ( IVBM are notorious for it ).

See you can't undervolt/underclock the cpu without BIOS support. You have to flash a custom bios to obtain bios support. This WILL void the warranty. I was able to undervolt AND overvolt my CPU(3632QM) using this technique.
I think Overclocking and Underclocking are not possible with normal IVBM, you need a XM proccy for that.
A much better alternative is Arctic Silver V. BTW what temps are you getting?

Hrishi

See you can't undervolt/underclock the cpu without BIOS support. You have to flash a custom bios to obtain bios support. This WILL void the warranty. I was able to undervolt AND overvolt my CPU(3632QM) using this technique.
I think Overclocking and Underclocking are not possible with normal IVBM, you need a XM proccy for that.
A much better alternative is Arctic Silver V. BTW what temps are you getting?
Peak 90's.
I already have a modified BIOS , but that serves a different purpose. I don't think I will be able to find a modified BIOS which allows modification of CPU settings.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Newbie overclocker here. I will post final screens after I finish my final Oc.

So I bought the 8320 and was running it on 3.8Ghz. Went to 4 last night and tested with 2 hours of prime95. Seems stable enough.
*i57.tinypic.com/dws3tu.png

"The socket temp was 70 degrees. It jumped to 71 when I clicked the screenshot unfortunately. But I kept prime95 on for 10 more minutes and it stayed at 70. And I am pretty sure a small fan at the back of the motherboard and another as a side intake will bring it down to 65.

*i57.tinypic.com/k2gv21.jpg

Now I have a few questions regarding the HT Link speed, the CPU-NB speed and the cpu voltage.
The default values for both were CPU-NB and HT Link were 2200 Mhz.
Can someone please explain what both of these do? And should I keep HT link at 2400? Or should I set it to the default 2200?

Also, The cpu voltage, I left it at auto. And usually it is 0.98(c1e etc power saving enabled) to 1.35. But once I saw a max value of 1.42.
Is this safe? Or should I manually set it to 1.3 /1.35?

[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION] [MENTION=120490]sumonpathak[/MENTION]

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
AMD FX 8370 Hits Record Breaking 8.7Ghz on Liquid Nitrogen

One fine morning i will wake up and see, the earth has been overclocked. Overclockers, take a break please :chillpill:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I miss overclocking ever since I shifted to Intel Camp. K series too Expensive and AMD not even close in performance / power ratios.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
what once was a nice hobby+necessity now turns into only hobby by serious overclockers. Even I miss the good old days of OC when you can cpus frpm both campaign. Anyway, anyone tried OCing android devices ? ;) Mine [ cortex A9 ] running at 1200 Mhz from 850 Mhz with moded rom.

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
Re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

what once was a nice hobby+necessity now turns into only hobby by serious overclockers. Even I miss the good old days of OC when you can cpus frpm both campaign. Anyway, anyone tried OCing android devices ? ;) Mine [ cortex A9 ] running at 1200 Mhz from 850 Mhz with moded rom.

i overclocked my xperia L just after few days of buying, and then always kept it at ~1.75GHz cpu and gpu at 450Mhz ( maybe it was 1.725Ghz but it was above 1.7Ghz) (stock was 1GHz cpu and 400mhz gpu)

though during hot environment it used tosettle at 1.4-1.5Ghz at full load ( thermal throttling, though always remained below 60'C )

kernal was downloaded from xda developer , i don't know how to modify kernal else i would have definately tried for 2GHz :D and some small heatspreader onto the soc :p

and now i mis those days
my current asus zenfone 4 have no developer support, not even custom recovery ( even my old karbonn a5 used to have custom roms and recoveries ) , some root is available but if something goes wrong then only way to make it work is to lie to service center guys so can't even root , this is why i feel like i am missing out on something :(

y u no developer support asus :'(

Last edited:
OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
did not know that Asus zenphone is this bad .. I was thinking to get one but now I changed my mind. Thanks. BTW, OCing is getting more and more limited each day beit on pc or other platform but if anyone don't mind the performace part AMD still kept the legacy of OC live.

Top Bottom