CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Ok, buddy.

@ somebodysme - try with 1866 Mhz for vengeance 1600 - make use of the Memory Frequency, mem volt ( only if needed ) and Dram timing option.

Naxal

Little Kid
My Processor -> Intel C2Q Q6600
Cooler -> ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme
RAM -> G.Skill DDR3 1333 MHz
Motherboard -> GA-G41M-Combo

Everything is stock, no not going into details, just mentioning the settings which I have chagned for the OC.

I didnt touch vCore / RAM / multiple or anything. All I did is increased the FSB of the processor from default 1066 MHz to 1333 Mhz. Which took the 2.4 GHz stock speed to 3.0 GHz

*i50.tinypic.com/28jl2sz.jpg

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ cool - can you post a cpu-z/hwmonitor sensor screenshot - that will show the vcore in use and the cpu stepping.

Naxal

Little Kid
^^ cool - can you post a cpu-z/hwmonitor sensor screenshot - that will show the vcore in use and the cpu stepping.

I think the first screenshot I posted of stress testing contains HW_monitor for temps display on load :p

Here is the CPU-Z (idle)

*i45.tinypic.com/bahwx.jpg

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ thanks for the screenshot and HWmonitor screensht cam also shw you current, max and minimum cpu vcore in use, that's why i asked for hwmonitor screenshot - anyway, you have a nice cpu with G0 stepping which can be clocked more ( 3.6-3.8) with right mobo/cooling.

Naxal

Little Kid
^^ thanks for the screenshot and HWmonitor screensht cam also shw you current, max and minimum cpu vcore in use, that's why i asked for hwmonitor screenshot - anyway, you have a nice cpu with G0 stepping which can be clocked more ( 3.6-3.8) with right mobo/cooling.

Thats the saddest part..

I used to have a Nvidia 650i based board, there with Corsair DDR-II running @ 1000 MHz, this processor was able to clock 3.8 GHz stable for long term use.

In winter I used to touch 4 Ghz mark also, but in summer, 3.8 GHz was the edge of limit for it.

However ever since my Nvidia 650i based died :( I didnt have any other option apart from G41. This G41 linked with RAM is not allowing me to go beyond 1333 MHz as taking RAMs (at present DDR-III) over that is resulting in no BOOT :(.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh .. anyway, the 3 Ghz speed you got is fair enough and still plenty for all of the latest games - this ages old quad core cpu still holds some strong performance.

Naxal

Little Kid
Oh .. anyway, the 3 Ghz speed you got is fair enough and still plenty for all of the latest games - this ages old quad core cpu still holds some strong performance.

Never felt the need of replacement recently when in Windows 8 and Server 2012, it refused to run native virtualization with error for SLAT not being supported by the processor :punch:

Microsoft didn't play fair here, not supporting native virtualization platform for these C2Q series.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, some other such software needs CPU visualization feature that's why I ditched using them and use only VMware.

Naxal

Little Kid
yep, some other such software needs CPU visualization feature that's why I ditched using them and use only VMware.

Intel Core 2 CPU do comes with VT-X, VMWare, Windows Virtual PC used support this and run pretty well :p how ever, this native Hyper-V of Server 2012 and Windows 8 needs another feature called SLAT. :(

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Ok, I must have confused one with another and thanks for the info on a SLAT - time to do some readings ;-)

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
CPU : AMD FX 9370
Revision/Stepping : OR-C0
FSB/BCLK : 200
Multiplier : 23.5
Vcore set in bios : 1.42v
Vcore CPU-Z :1.42
Cooler : Swiftech H320
Motherboard : Crosshair V Formula
Chipset : 990FX
Bios Version : 1703
Ram Type and Speed : 1866 MHz
Timings : 9-10-9-27
Volt : 1.62v

*i.imgur.com/0KZTPPH.jpg
*valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/gbjyji.png

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Sumon, i request you to provide me a possible Over-clock profile and step by step methodology to ramp up i7-4700MQ mobile CPU.

highlight on below points would be greatly appreciated.

1. Points supporting the overclock as to why i should or should not.
2. Performance gain if overclocked and its advantage in gaming performance.
3. How to overclock CPU, haven't done ever, so step by step process with tools and s/w details to track, tune and upgrade.
4. All overclock profiles, i would prefer a moderate oc, not extreme, keeping in mind the heating. all configuration settings for the same.
5. Any cooling solutions i should implement or have before/after overclocking and how to get it/from where.

You can PM me with the details or post on top of this...thanks in advance :)

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
CPU : AMD FX 9370
Revision/Stepping : OR-C0
FSB/BCLK : 200
Multiplier : 23.5
Vcore set in bios : 1.42v
Vcore CPU-Z :1.42
Cooler : Swiftech H320
Motherboard : Crosshair V Formula
Chipset : 990FX
Bios Version : 1703
Ram Type and Speed : 1866 MHz
Timings : 9-10-9-27
Volt : 1.62v

*i.imgur.com/0KZTPPH.jpg
*valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/gbjyji.png

very nice job done on that 220W monster and if it's bench stable just wondering what's the load temp cpu bench/stability test apps.

Sumon, i request you to provide me a possible Over-clock profile and step by step methodology to ramp up i7-4700MQ mobile CPU.

3. How to overclock CPU, haven't done ever, so step by step process with tools and s/w details to track, tune and upgrade.
4. All overclock profiles, i would prefer a moderate oc, not extreme, keeping in mind the heating. all configuration settings for the same.
5. Any cooling solutions i should implement or have before/after overclocking and how to get it/from where.

Is it even possible to OC 4700QM and what about the heat ? If you want to gain additional performance better stick with gpu oc if you can manage the heat.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
I got 4.9 ghz cinebench and bf3 stabilty....this was a pure suicide run....for single thread benchmarks...

Hrishi

Re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

Sam , you shouldn't try Overclocking Mobile CPUs from Intel.
IvoryBridge onwards the mobile CPUs were damn too hot to be overclocked beyond the turbo boost limit.
In fact my IVBm reaches 95-98C on 2-3 Cores just like that , when at Turbo. And It has a Tjmax of 105c , so it's dangerously close to the upper limit.

BTW, you can look into overclocking your laptop's GPU ( I think you have a Xenom laptop with some kepler 2nd Gen GPU. )
That should suffice and will give considerable boost in performance. But for the CPU part it would be too risky to even try for the additional performance expected which would be very marginal.

Is it even possible to OC 4700QM and what about the heat ? If you want to gain additional performance better stick with gpu oc if you can manage the heat.

TG ,This time they changed the name to MQ instead of QM . :wink: makes us 3rd gen owners confuse ourselves. haha
And yeah I highly doubt that's its possible to Overclock that chip because it's not a K-Series Chip.Even if it's remotely possible to overclock it , I highly doubt someone would be able to find the solution so early.
Plus , I looked into the TjMax of the Chip and it seems that it's even lower than IVBm chips. It's reduced to 100C from 105C of IVB. That makes it even harder.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ OCing is getting a tough business on Intel platform :D and with so many products [ read cpu ] released in a short time frame sometime it can get really confusing ;)

@ sumonpathak - so what's the load temps under BF3/Cinebench @ 4.9 Ghz - I just want to know how much heat this big green monster can generate :D

Top Bottom