CPU + MoBo for 9k

ssb1551

Technomancer
My friend wanna buy a PC and his budget is 25k.I helped him to look for all components (according to his requirement) except for CPU and MoBo. The cost of all the other components(except for CPU + MoBo) is coming out to be 16.2k so that leaves him with 8.8k(take it 9k).

At that range the only option that came to me was the combination of

AMD Athlon II X4 635 - 4k and
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H - 4k

If that MoBo aint available then I suggested him to get the following :

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 - 4.8k.

Do you guys think its fine or should I change something? Also he wanted an Intel rig but I told him that Intel rig for 9k wont be that great. Hope he understood!! People over here are so fixated on Intel no matter what the budget..its killing me!!

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Your selected parts are good within that budget but if possible get the Phenom II 955 BE @5.8 it will give you the 6 MB L3 and Unlocked multi for better bang for buck.

Intel Combo in 9k will be ancient one and wont be able to compete with AMD in that price range for performance.

guru_urug

iGoogle
Why not try and get the
AMD Phenom II x4 840 for 4.8k, (the 955BE is out of budget else tht wud be best)
and couple that with the UD2H which is @4k
So total = 8.8k :grin:

Also if he can accomodate the GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 then it wud be better. The USB3L is also available at lower price but it has only 2 DIMM slots and no IDE port.

Cilus

laborare est orare
The thing is Phenom II 840 is just a rebranded Athlon II X4 and missing the L3 cache. Athlon II X4 635 can easily be overclocked to 3.1-3.2 GHz with the stock cooler to match 840's performance.
I think Athlon II X4 635 + GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 (4.8K) is the best deal as the mobo has support for the upcoming Bulldozer processors. So future upgrade wise it is better option.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yor choice is simply a very good choice.
The GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 is AM3+ board so supports the BD CPUs too. So, its actually futureproof too.
BTW from where/which shop are you buying him the components?

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Thanks guys for your suggestions!!

@ saswat - We haven't decided the shop/shops yet as I don't find much time these days. So I told him to inquire at all the shops in Saheed Nagar. I'll accompany him on Wednesday. I think I'll look at Tanisha-eWorld, Ashirbad Computers, S.A.Infosys,E Mart 4 U,Gadget World and if you guys can suggest some more. But I've already told him to prepare himself to buy online(mostly RAM,PSU).

guru_urug

iGoogle
The thing is Phenom II 840 is just a rebranded Athlon II X4 and missing the L3 cache. Athlon II X4 635 can easily be overclocked to 3.1-3.2 GHz with the stock cooler to match 840's performance.

oops....thanks for pointing that out. I was naive enuf to believe all phenom II's have the L3 cache :-( compared to the athlon II architecture.

Athlon II x4 635 + 880GM USB3
^^^ +1

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think your friend better get Phenom II X4 955BE @ 5.5K and MSI 880GM-E35 @ 3.5k or Gigabyte MA880GM-UD2H @ 4k - I think this will come under his budget very well ;-)

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
I think your friend better get Phenom II X4 955BE @ 5.5K and MSI 880GM-E35 @ 3.5k or Gigabyte MA880GM-UD2H @ 4k - I think this will come under his budget very well ;-)

Hmmm...955+MoBo within 9k...sounds tempting!! K,I'll suggest him this config!!

saswat23

Human Spambot
AFAIK Taragous Technologies and Gadget World are providing good deals. One of my friend's relatives is Gadget Worlds owner. May be he can get you some bucks less.
Why do you want him to buy online?
Corsair, FSP and Sapphire products are easily available here now. Aditya Infotech are the official distributors of the above mentioned brands. I got mine FSP SAGAII 500W from them only.
So, better order from them instead of getting online.

Cilus

laborare est orare
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.4)

reniarahim1, there is no such board as MA880GM-UD2H, I think it will be GA-880GM-UD2H which is based on older SB710 southbridge and does not support USB 3.0 and SATA 3 6 Gbps. I think the board you are referring is GA-880GMA-UD2H, which is based on SB850 southbridge and has support for SATA 3 6 Gbps and USB 3.0. It is also AM3+ certified and will support Bulldozer processors

reniarahim1

Youngling
sorry guys, i was looking at GA-880GA-UD3H
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 2.1)
my bad..i overlooked it...
thanks guys :)

Top Bottom