Corsair CX400 PSU Not working after lightning

mitraark

Decrepit
It was raining and There was a power cut , i switched off my machine [ Foxin 700 UPS ] Than a huge lightning struck nearby it was loud. After about an hour when current came , i turned on my PC , the cabinet LED glowed for about 10 seconds [ the fans also seemed to be working for that time] , then it turned off.

I checked the UPS and the Spike buster and they were OK , i even connected the PC directly to power outlet , still nothing happened. I opened the cabinet and there was no light on the motherboard [ Usually some small green light is on when PSU is connected to power supply] So i am guessing the PSU is gone :(

My PC was connected to Power Supply when lightning struck , also , a USB TV Tuner card is also connected to CABLE [ which once damaged our TV ]. Or may be it can be that the lightning had nothing to do with my PC not working.

Anything else might be the problem ? Also , what should i do next ? Corsair CX400 has 3 years warranty , it would get covered right ?

ajai5777

Youngling
Lightning from cable damages only pci slot.This is the problem of your PSU might be due to the UPS.But dont worry you got warranty for CX 400W.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
My PC was connected to Power Supply when lightning struck , also , a USB TV Tuner card is also connected to CABLE [ which once damaged our TV ]. Or may be it can be that the lightning had nothing to do with my PC not working.

Well got your problem mate. I have highlighted it. During lightning, video cables has potentially high risk carrying lightning currents. Connecting pc's in the wall socket during lightning is no problem because houses are always earthed properly and any high currents by lightning will get grounded. If by chance lightning current gets invloved in the mains, it will take all equipments out in your house that are connected or even worse.

Now that is highly unlikely and the CABLE is definitely the culprit of carrying high currents. Actually a tv engineer had explained this once to me.

Corsair has 3 years warranty. So RMA it asap.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
if something got burnt badly, Corsair may not offer its warranty as it falls under physical damage.

Actually , there is no visible change , if something has burnt , it is small , no smell , nothing came. Its not even certain that that PSU is damaged , i will check it with another PC once i get home.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
I had jumped to the conclusion too soon.Unfortunately my PSU is working fine , checked with another PC , which means something is wrong with my Motherboard :(

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Gigabyte H55M-S2 not working Kolkata

It was raining and then there was a power cut . i switched off my machine [ Foxin 700 UPS ] but didn;t unplug the cables. Also , i had the TV Cable Connected to my Beetel USB TV Stick.
Then a huge lightning struck nearby it was loud. After about an hour when current came , i turned on my PC , the cabinet LED glowed for about 10 seconds [ the fans also seemed to be working for that time] , then it turned off. There is no light glowing on the motherboard [ not even the small green ones ] , no fan is working , the Cabinet light just blinks when i switch on the power but thats about it.

Initially i thought the PSU was gone since it didn't start which made me create this thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/138683-corsair-cx400-psu-not-working-after-lightning.html

But today i checked the PSU with another PC and it worked. The only other thing now left is the motherboard [ isn;t it ? Can the Graphics Card be faulty and cause this ?] How do i confirm my motherboard is not working ?

My Motherboard is Gigabyte H55M-S2 , i bought it just 4 months ago , anyone knows where the igabyte Service Center is in Kolkata ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Gigabyte H55M-S2 not working Kolkata

You will have to check via trial and error. Try another GPU.

Please do not open separate threads. I merged the new one.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
Gigabyte service:
digicare,
4, chowringhee spuare, behind income tax office,
phone: 03340085997

I visited there for my msi board 1 week ago, they service both brands....,
cant remember exact address, its 4/8 number chowringhee square...... its just behind INCOME TAX, OFFICE, building name is 'SWASTIK BHAVAN'....

Top Bottom