convert High quality movies!!

dan4u

Took Off!!!
@op

MYTHBUSTERS:
1. Formatshit is better than Handbrake, Avidemux etc.
NO. It can't be. If you say so you know nothing. There are two most popular standards, Xvid and h.264. And, there are a few software implementation of h264 encoders(I am saying 'software implementation' cause, there are hardware implementation too). Among them, x264, made by same folks who made VLC player, is the best.
Now, most free and non-free encoder apps like Handbrake, ffmpeg, MeGUI, formatcrap etc use x264 inside them. Which means, these apps are only just fronends to x264. So, as long as an app lets you fiddle with all the options that x264 supports, it cant be any worse than x264.

2. This and this paid apps are better than free apps like handbrake, ffmpeg, megui etc.
NO. Read above.

3. Handbrake and meGUI are bad. Formatcrap is good cause it gives better quality.
NO. Read above. Also, quality and encoding speed depends heavily on the encoding settings. You supply appropriate options to Handbrake(or any encoder, per se) it will surely beat formatcrap.

4. Cyberlink total.... and xilisoft... are better and faster cause they support GPU encoding.
NO, they are just two piece of craps. Don't even bother to pirate them. But yes, theortically GPU acclerated encoding should be faster. But you have to wait a few years for that.

even if its not as good as some of the others, call it by its name i.e Format Factory, not format****.

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
^^or else formatfactory will get upset and will not talk to us for few days.

all in all, What software would you suggest for converting vids to decrease the size (significantly) and maintain clarity?

digit.sh

Journeyman
all in all, What software would you suggest for converting vids to decrease the size (significantly) and maintain clarity?

^any converter that can convert to h.264. But I would prefer Ffmpeg, Handbrake, Avidemux or MeGUI cause they let me tweak all the encoding settings(bitrate, bframes, 1/2 pass, motion estimation, etc etc). Even if you encode in h.264, "size" and "clarity" depends a lot on these parameters. So its wise to use an app that lets you tweak them rather than using one that does not.

comrade

foreign return(0)
I use virtualdub + x.264 vfw + Lame MP3 - always get best results for my TV captured MPEG videos.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
at last someone at-least has mention the name of virtualdub ;-) It used to be one of my most fav transcoding app but with the availability of AIO transcoding apps virtualdub lost it's place though it's a very good app but the need of manually getting plugins ( though one can get some pre built mod but these are old ) may feel awkward to some but those who are interested to do things in a geeky way rather simple give virtualdub a shot - you will feel great.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
at last someone at-least has mention the name of virtualdub ;-) It used to be one of my most fav transcoding app but with the availability of AIO transcoding apps virtualdub lost it's place though it's a very good app but the need of manually getting plugins ( though one can get some pre built mod but these are old ) may feel awkward to some but those who are interested to do things in a geeky way rather simple give virtualdub a shot - you will feel great.
Oh yeah..virtualdub is the most popular..the best part is we can compare the original & encoded video side by side...
also supports various encodes (Xvid,DivX etc)

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
@OP
for me Ripbot264 yield the best results with proper settings ....

Even low bitrate 720P looks awesome ..

also batching available !!

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
I use Handbrake , interface is not that tough , encodes are really good. Multiple presets are available (iPod , TV , HDTV ) , and you can obviously set values as well.

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
@ OP Use Handbrake good user interface can convert to various formats for (ipod,iphone,psp,etc)

Hannah

Zaid Mark
you can try ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum, it is a DVD converter, DVD ripper, DVD rip software to convert DVD, rip DVD to VCD, DVD to DivX, DVD to MPEG, DVD to WMV, DVD to AVI, DVD to WMA, DVD to MP3 easily and quickly with excellent image/sound quality.if you need it, you can free download it here,
DVD Ripper Platinum - DVD ripping tool, convert DVD to MPEG, AVI, iPod, PSP
hope it is useful to you,

Top Bottom