convert High quality movies!!

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
i have lot of old bollywood,Hollywood and documentary movies available. but my question is , how to convert these movies .avi or .mkv or HD format, that type is available in todays' Internet. Is any software or hardware ?? if possible please help me.
thank you.

:confused:

crazee009

Right off the assembly line
Try to use VLC, Adobe illustrator or CS5 ( check their site) or MS Movie maker if you have movies in your PC, if you connect to VHS or DVD Player and want to convert, try Avermedia CaptureCard ( DVD EzMaker 7-C039- USB one, Check their site). VLC is free but takes more time for rendering, advt free and easy available..

RahulB

Journeyman
Try to use VLC, Adobe illustrator or CS5 ( check their site) or MS Movie maker if you have movies in your PC, if you connect to VHS or DVD Player and want to convert, try Avermedia CaptureCard ( DVD EzMaker 7-C039- USB one, Check their site). VLC is free but takes more time for rendering, advt free and easy available..

These are pretty unusual suggestions. Yes you can use them too but why not use something which was designed for a purpose like this.

A lot of people like Format Factory, it is a easy to use, capable piece of software but I find it pretty bloated.

I think for your purpose Handbrake is great option. Here is good guide
Please do read this it will clear a lot of your doubts when it comes to video conversion.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/149241-video-encoding-beginners.html

If you can handle advanced software you should go with MeGUI

Abhi191

Broken In
You can try Handbrake.
Also StaxRip is a good software and if you want some advance options to encode, then try MeGui.

indigomain

Try cyberlink .. + hardware to convert .. Like Pinnacle or AVermedia ..
Cyber link is free with Avermedia and Pinnacle studio is free with Pinnacle ..

These are pretty unusual suggestions. Yes you can use them too but why not use something which was designed for a purpose like this.

A lot of people like Format Factory, it is a easy to use, capable piece of software but I find it pretty bloated.

I think for your purpose Handbrake is great option. Here is good guide
Please do read this it will clear a lot of your doubts when it comes to video conversion.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/149241-video-encoding-beginners.html

If you can handle advanced software you should go with MeGUI

dan4u

Took Off!!!
format factory is a very powerful tool, before that I used to use total video converter (not freeware:-x)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
format factory is a very powerful tool, before that I used to use total video converter (not freeware:-x)
Its a good tool but not powerful...it failed many times while converting full length movies for my ipod touch 4G format....
so I moved to Handbrake & Freemake Video Converter.

If u see my history of using video converters then it was like this
order is from old to new

Oxelon Media Converter -> TVC -> Ultimate Video Converter -> Any Video Converter -> SUPER -> Format Factory ->
Xvid4PSP -> Handbrake -> Free Make Video Converter

the bold ones I found to be excellent

nghtcrwlr

Yeah MediaCoder if you understand encoding and how to convert it using that. Format Factory otherwise

digit.sh

Journeyman
@op
1. First decide which encoding algorithm to use: H.264, Xvid , VP8, theora etc. I would suggest h.264(a.k.a mp4).
2. Video quality depends a LOT on the encoding settings used. Now, there generally two kinds of encoder
a) Those that let you select only from a set of preset and lets you to play with only a few encoding settings.
AND
b) Those that supports all or most of the encoding settings an algorithm supports.

Most of the people talk a lot about some of the apps that come under category 'a'. But believe me those apps all suck.

Apps that come under 'b' are:

a) Handbrake -- supports only h.264, its free, cross platform, very stable and its awesome.
b) MeGUI -- supports h.264, Xvid and many others, only for windows, a bit complicated.
c) Staxrip.
d) Avidemux -- supports h.264, Xvid, h.263(old 3gp etc), theora, vp8, not just an encoder can do many others things, cross platform, very good.
e) Tencoder.
f) ffmpeg -- command line tool, supports h.264, Xvid, theora, vp8, h.263 and many more, cross platform, stable, most complete, most powerful, free, nifty little tool thats called the swiss army knife of video processing, can do cut,merge,capture,encode,broadcast,apply filter,extract audio and many many more. Its the BEST.

If you decide to encode in h.264(and as I guess you are new in encoding) I would suggest go for Handbrake. Its the most easy to use h.264 encoder. Once you understand all the options and what they mean, you can try MeGUI. But now, the sheer number of features and options of MeGUI will overhelm you.

3. Select the set of options that serves you best.
This part isn't that easy. I would say, cut a very good quality 1-2 minute video from a movie, convert it with different settings and check the quality and size of the result. You will soon hit the set of settings most acceptable to you.

Tips:
1> Resize the video if necessary. Means, like to play the video on less capable devices like netbook, droid, PMPs etc, its better to resize a movie thats 1080p(1920x1080) to 720p(1280x720) or less. Be sure to keep aspect ratio the same. Resizing can decrease the size a lot.

2> Two pass encoding generally produces better result but takes more time.

3> Always enable 8x8 transform when encoding in h.264. It is the single most important option in h.264 to increase compression ratio.

MYTHBUSTERS:
1. Formatshit is better than Handbrake, Avidemux etc.
NO. It can't be. If you say so you know nothing. There are two most popular standards, Xvid and h.264. And, there are a few software implementation of h264 encoders(I am saying 'software implementation' cause, there are hardware implementation too). Among them, x264, made by same folks who made VLC player, is the best.
Now, most free and non-free encoder apps like Handbrake, ffmpeg, MeGUI, formatcrap etc use x264 inside them. Which means, these apps are only just fronends to x264. So, as long as an app lets you fiddle with all the options that x264 supports, it cant be any worse than x264.

2. This and this paid apps are better than free apps like handbrake, ffmpeg, megui etc.
NO. Read above.

3. Handbrake and meGUI are bad. Formatcrap is good cause it gives better quality.
NO. Read above. Also, quality and encoding speed depends heavily on the encoding settings. You supply appropriate options to Handbrake(or any encoder, per se) it will surely beat formatcrap.

4. Cyberlink total.... and xilisoft... are better and faster cause they support GPU encoding.
NO, they are just two piece of craps. Don't even bother to pirate them. But yes, theortically GPU acclerated encoding should be faster. But you have to wait a few years for that.

abhishek39

Broken In
I use adobe after effects..but i wont suggest it as it will not be a good idea to use after effects just to compress videos or to change its format.
but if you are a user of after effects then you don't need any thing else,it can compress very large videos to a very small size, without much change in its quality.
Again i wont suggest it.
Handbrake is a good choice also.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - you can also try this :
Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download

Top Bottom