CHIP India has shut down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digik

Journeyman
Subscribed long to BSNL DataOne BB : Home Combo ULD950 pack(UNLIMITED)...

Soon u will find that your pack has been discontinued and u will be facing frequent disconnections. U will call BSNL and nothing will be done. Then u will meet them personally, they will suggest u to subscribe to new plan. U will get new plan at higher rate and ur problem will get solved - perhaps!!!:lol:

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Warning: Long post ahead
For newsstand this becomes a problem, but we have this as a subscription plan. Talk to our helpdesk if interested.

Print Magazines are more niche now, yes, but they're not dead. There's just something to be said for real paper in hand. Perhaps in a few years print will be gone for good, or be super niche, but we still have a readership over over 2 lakh to keep happy for now :)

I will be working on a proper digital subscription model soon, and thinkdigit is also going to come out with some very interesting new ideas and innovations that we're all excited about. I still think people giving up on magazines or paid content (print, digital, whatever) just because they have broadband is a mistake. There's something to be said for discovery of information, for sharing ideas, for considering other points of view, broadening your skills, thinking out of the box... It's easy to say, "I have broadband, I'll read what I want for free, why pay..." But how much do you really read then? Most of us just download a lot of movies and music, spend time on YouTube, etc., and then read only what's in our interest areas, happily ignoring everything else.

Magazines / paid content of all forms are like a contract of trust between readers and us content creators. We do the work of sifting through the millions of things happening, and find what's relevant, what needs to be thought more about, what are the other ways to look at certain "facts", etc., and readers pay a nominal fee to get the results of all that research. We get salaries from that, and it encourages us to do even better and dig even deeper. That's the Digit idea, at least, and I prefer it that way because any company that charges readers nothing, and depends solely on advertisers for revenue, then becomes a model to fear.

Think about it, the reason Digit will do F**k You Consumers type of stories, or the more recent Flipkart story, and others don't, is because of you, our readers, who pay our salaries. It's why the magazine exists, even though only around 2 lakh people read the mag and something like 5 million people come to the site.

No one in our company has ever asked us editorial staff to write favourably about any company, or even reads what we write before we publish it, and I never expect our directors to ever do that. It's left to the editors to decide, and we will publish anything fact-based, no matter whose egos it bruises, or which toes we step on. This develops an attitude, the Digit attitude I call it, for all of our writers and reviewers, who know that only the facts and the testing results matter to what we write, and we don't care if company A is our biggest advertiser, if their product sucks, we say it sucks. If we write a feature about how customers are getting screwed, we couldn't care less if no one advertises that month, because we know it's a story that needs to be told...

However, if we were an ad-only revenue model, even with our directors never pressurising us, when appraisals dry up, and pink slips start coming because we can't afford to run as an independent, maverick and care-free editorial voice, because advertisers can find others who won't bother with all that and toe their desired line... you can guess what happens to morale, and how fast the desire to be factual and always correct with a "give a damn" attitude dries up.

Anyway, the idea of posting this is not to say "Buy Digit", on the contrary, if you really feel Digit is worthless to you, stop buying, and tell us, and it's our headache to figure out how to make it relevant again, and get you to buy it again.

However, don't go down the path of thinking "Why waste money on any content, when I can get it for free with broadband." because that will just degrade the type of content you get and turn it into all of the "bloggers" out there who "review" products. They're mostly just fanboys and paid mouthpieces of certain companies. They're enjoying trips abroad for free, and getting their hands on the latest gadgets, but they're also totally dependent on said companies to be of any relevance, or any importance - vicious circle. If we all give in to accepting that as the media we trust, then we lose as a whole. You might as well start buying products and deciding careers solely based on advertising and "popular opinion", and I'm sure none of you really wants that. Right?
@DesmondDavid: No, I joined Digit in Feb 2003, before that I was a regular reader of Jasubhai's Chip since 1998, which became Digit in 2001.

The first issue of Digit I bought was in Nov. 2001 and it was worth every penny, every month for 3 years running. In mid-2004 you lot changed the style of the content, slimmed the magazine, changed the type of paper and added a bucketload of ads. I switched to CHIP after that. CHIP had excellent content for a few years between 2004 and 2010. After that, I think, Digit caught up again.
I buy Digit or CHIP once every few months, mostly because of the fact that holding a paper magazine is a different feeling altogether. Now with the demise of CHIP, I just hope Digit doesn't become complacent.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
However, don't go down the path of thinking "Why waste money on any content, when I can get it for free with broadband." because that will just degrade the type of content you get and turn it into all of the "bloggers" out there who "review" products. They're mostly just fanboys and paid mouthpieces of certain companies. They're enjoying trips abroad for free, and getting their hands on the latest gadgets, but they're also totally dependent on said companies to be of any relevance, or any importance - vicious circle. If we all give in to accepting that as the media we trust, then we lose as a whole. You might as well start buying products and deciding careers solely based on advertising and "popular opinion", and I'm sure none of you really wants that. Right?

Agree with that. People who say "Why waste money when I can get it for free" should re-think because "paid" content has arrived in the online space & one will have to pay for content like they do in case of print. I don't get why , say, The Hindu would allow their editorials & opinion pages online for free, just like that. I like how gigaom have introduced paid content. Why would anyone allow their hard work to be available for free? It's their daily livelihood.
I am not sure how do companies/developers benefit from ad-only revenues when people are installing Ad-Block Plus in their browsers?
And yeah, those so-called "reviewers" :-D. Nobody does a job for free. They either get paid or return a favour :-D.

digik

Journeyman
Warning: Long post ahead

For newsstand this becomes a problem, but we have this as a subscription plan.
[COLOR]

If u can ensure delivery at doorsteps and prompt response to grievances, many will go to subscription mode.

Print Magazines are more niche now, yes, but they're not dead.[COLOR]

I agree with u. It will never be dead. Any serious reading material is ought to be in printed format. No kind of digital reader can replace it in this matter.

I will be working on a proper digital subscription model soon, and thinkdigit is also going to come out with some very interesting new ideas and innovations that we're all excited about. I still think people giving up on magazines or paid content (print, digital, whatever) just because they have broadband is a mistake. There's something to be said for discovery of information, for sharing ideas, for considering other points of view, broadening your skills, thinking out of the box... It's easy to say, "I have broadband, I'll read what I want for free, why pay..." But how much do you really read then? Most of us just download a lot of movies and music, spend time on YouTube, etc., and then read only what's in our interest areas, happily ignoring everything else.[COLOR]

Agreed.

Another opinion about contents of Digit.

Your publication has to cater the needs of various readers and so every opinion request cannot be acceded to. I would request to add contents for persons who want to learn computer or the students of CS. You have some contents in DVDs and magazine itself. They are definitely good. But, I would request for some more in lines of contents of PC Quest/ Chip. Hope you will ponder over it.

Have nice day ahead. We magazine readers are with u.:)

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Omg... My post woke Raaabo up from his hibernation!!! :) :hyper:
On a serious note, I do buy Digit, Chip(RIP!!! :'( ), Stuff and T3 every month even though their content is mostly crap and not up to the standards of some international tech websites; just cause they give us the tech perspective from an Indian point of view... After all, beggars can't be choosers... :-( Would love it if the quality of the content improves and the ads are reduced significantly... The writing style and vocabulary also should have a little panache instead of the usual drab affair... And, finally, hope to see an independent Digit app soon instead of a subscription based model in another app like Magzster!!! :)

This is bad. Though I always liked digit magazines more than chip,but their dvd's content were always way better than digit.I mean they always offered one software for each category, be it image editing,browsers,security etc etc.I never felt the need to download anything from internet.Just put the dvd in and it was always there. Thank you chip. I'll miss you.

Man I like CHIP magazines :(

So now there are no other PC/Tech focused magazines except Digit?
There are three or four. Pc world is one of them. My college library has subscribed to these. Don't remember other names coz I only read digit.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
There are three or four. Pc world is one of them. My college library has subscribed to these. Don't remember other names coz I only read digit.

PC World India shut down their print publication back in July 11th btw. I think only Digit stands in print?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If you're considering tech magazine in general, yeah. But those who do reviews, especially PC Hardware?

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Anyway, the idea of posting this is not to say "Buy Digit", on the contrary, if you really feel Digit is worthless to you, stop buying, and tell us, and it's our headache to figure out how to make it relevant again, and get you to buy it again.

It's not worthless,Digit has more Informative content actually,The only thing digit needs is better presentation and removing some un-nesscary points.

The first issue of Digit I bought was in Nov. 2001 and it was worth every penny, every month for 3 years running. In mid-2004 you lot changed the style of the content, slimmed the magazine, changed the type of paper and added a bucketload of ads. I switched to CHIP after that. CHIP had excellent content for a few years between 2004 and 2010. After that, I think, Digit caught up again.
I buy Digit or CHIP once every few months, mostly because of the fact that holding a paper magazine is a different feeling altogether. Now with the demise of CHIP, I just hope Digit doesn't become complacent.

I started reading all the magazines back in 2009,back then they had excellent content,Once they had put a offer subscribe for 1 year get another year free,I guess that was 2010,Some where around last year some of their amazing authors including the gaming ones,I think his name was sameer left chip after that even their gaming supplement became very boring.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I am not a regular reader of chip but will surely miss the magazine.

And I hope they continue their website chip.in
May be their website can generate some revenue for them.

suyash_123

Techno Freak
Once upon a Time i use to Buy old jasubhai's Chip magazine for : Antivirus update ,freewares , Small Free games and Games Demos .

also loved reading magazine a Plus Point to buy magazine ..

i was having 3 yrs of jasubhai's Chip magazine and 1 year of Chip and 1 yr of Digit

But after Broadband come at home , i just stop buying Digit as all info and required software available on net..
Same moment Joined Thinkdigit forum : 2003

didn't brought Digit past 5-6 years , but still come to forum and site for updates still today !!!

Thinkdigit.com = Indian version of Small Engadget.com :- in my view :)

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Yes Tech magazine delivery model has to change to something more innovative.

Paid online subscription won't make much difference.

One idea will be to make magazine open to everyone online like times of india delivery model to offer free e-paper online.
At the same time , continue magazines for readers who prefer paper medium.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl

One idea will be to make magazine open to everyone online like times of india delivery model to offer free e-paper online.

I don't think that has long term feasibility for the company as Raabo mentioned. Why would you want to give away your hard work for free?

Magazines / paid content of all forms are like a contract of trust between readers and us content creators. We do the work of sifting through the millions of things happening, and find what's relevant, what needs to be thought more about, what are the other ways to look at certain "facts", etc., and readers pay a nominal fee to get the results of all that research. We get salaries from that, and it encourages us to do even better and dig even deeper. That's the Digit idea, at least, and I prefer it that way because any company that charges readers nothing, and depends solely on advertisers for revenue, then becomes a model to fear.

amjath

Human Spambot

can work out only to newspapers not mags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom