CHIP India has shut down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amjath

Human Spambot
Everything is getting digitised so this problem may occur ro many magazine too. Does Digit has a digital one?

sahil1033

In the zone
If it's true, I'm really disappointed because I find chip the best alternative tech mag after digit and infact at some point of times, chip has been better than digit.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I remember during 2005-2009 Chip was way better than digit (digit had hot girls :p in the front cover to attract customers) .....then digit got better n Chip started doing what digit used to do (hot girls :razz:).......sad though :(.....I always used to compare articles on both before buying (got digit mostly)....alas no more comparing now ...

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
BB prices will be optimised and effective speed will be reduced. You will subscribe to a connection without knowing this, perhaps!!!:)
Subscribed long to BSNL DataOne BB : Home Combo ULD950 pack(UNLIMITED)...

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Damn... I personally preferred Chip to the crap that Digit let's out these days... What about T3??? That was Network18 owned too, right??? Will that magazine shut down too??? :-/

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Although I do take slight offense at the word "crap" - you're entitled to your opinion.

However, why not give us specific feedback and point out how you'd like us to improve? We will certainly try. Also, contrary to popular belief, we're not partying, we certainly wouldn't wish pink slips on anyone, and we were never really bothered about what everyone else was doing anyway.

All that matters to us is to keep our readers thinking out of the box with articles that are different from what you usually get elsewhere, and not being afraid to take a stand and ask uncomfortable questions - not just of companies, but of the readers too.

As for the price, it was raised only because of skyrocketing costs. We make a lot less profit now than we did when we were Rs 100. However we still have enough readers out there who still prefer paper as a reading medium, and it's not about costs always for everyone. Rs 200 a month is a pittance these days, especially if you count the number of letters we get from current readers, and even past readers who are now entrepreneurs, thanking us for encouraging them to think different. Paper is just another medium to us, tomorrow it may be a digital version if that's what you want, or a mobile app, or maybe a direct hookup to your brain for all we know.

We're not in the magazine or website business, everyone here at Digit just wants to leave their mark on the Indian IT business, and encourage free thinking and knowledge sharing. It may sound like a pipe dream to the more sceptical, but we're not disillusioned enough to give up trying just yet.

ashs1

Padawan
maybe a direct hookup to your brain for all we know.
you got me interested !! :D
jokes aside, @ rs. 200 per month, i think its an acceptable value, but i wish there was more content in.

btw.. R.I.P CHIP. I shall always remember the day i was travelling in train & i picked up chip because i couldn't find digit at the magazine stand. You were a true friend that day. :)

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I travel frequently but I have never purchased a tech magazine. It never came to my mind. May be I am one of those people who think "Why would I need to read a tech magazine?" , though I always purchase Frontline/Outlook/India Today/Novel. May be tech magazines are costly when compared to these (correction: i rarely buy novels though i did buy)but this never struck my mind that I can buy a tech magazine!

Last edited:

ashs1

Padawan
MY best Companions during travel : Outlook/India today>Sportstar>Tech magazine>Automobile Magazine>Pdf on mobiles. :p

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Digit should move into digital media,As print media esp these tech magazines are dying,I know many people who had stopped buying chip magazine and slowly many might stop buying others to,Digit should probably see some innovative way to bring out something new in the digital media.
You all you should have more youtube reviews and I'm sure you'll can earn more in that.
Another reason,I stopped buying magazines is my cd drawers are full with those cd's that come with these books.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Although I do take slight offense at the word "crap" - you're entitled to your opinion.

However, why not give us specific feedback and point out how you'd like us to improve? We will certainly try. Also, contrary to popular belief, we're not partying, we certainly wouldn't wish pink slips on anyone, and we were never really bothered about what everyone else was doing anyway.

All that matters to us is to keep our readers thinking out of the box with articles that are different from what you usually get elsewhere, and not being afraid to take a stand and ask uncomfortable questions - not just of companies, but of the readers too.

As for the price, it was raised only because of skyrocketing costs. We make a lot less profit now than we did when we were Rs 100. However we still have enough readers out there who still prefer paper as a reading medium, and it's not about costs always for everyone. Rs 200 a month is a pittance these days, especially if you count the number of letters we get from current readers, and even past readers who are now entrepreneurs, thanking us for encouraging them to think different. Paper is just another medium to us, tomorrow it may be a digital version if that's what you want, or a mobile app, or maybe a direct hookup to your brain for all we know.

We're not in the magazine or website business, everyone here at Digit just wants to leave their mark on the Indian IT business, and encourage free thinking and knowledge sharing. It may sound like a pipe dream to the more sceptical, but we're not disillusioned enough to give up trying just yet.

OMG Raaabo finally makes a public appearance.

I am not sure, but I think you were part of the Chip team during the Jasubhai days, right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Warning: Long post ahead

Digit should seriously consider retailing "No CD/DVD" Issues too,along with the normal mag + dvd's

For newsstand this becomes a problem, but we have this as a subscription plan. Talk to our helpdesk if interested.

Digit should move into digital media,As print media esp these tech magazines are dying,I know many people who had stopped buying chip magazine and slowly many might stop buying others to,Digit should probably see some innovative way to bring out something new in the digital media.
You all you should have more youtube reviews and I'm sure you'll can earn more in that.
Another reason,I stopped buying magazines is my cd drawers are full with those cd's that come with these books.

Print Magazines are more niche now, yes, but they're not dead. There's just something to be said for real paper in hand. Perhaps in a few years print will be gone for good, or be super niche, but we still have a readership over over 2 lakh to keep happy for now :)

I will be working on a proper digital subscription model soon, and thinkdigit is also going to come out with some very interesting new ideas and innovations that we're all excited about. I still think people giving up on magazines or paid content (print, digital, whatever) just because they have broadband is a mistake. There's something to be said for discovery of information, for sharing ideas, for considering other points of view, broadening your skills, thinking out of the box... It's easy to say, "I have broadband, I'll read what I want for free, why pay..." But how much do you really read then? Most of us just download a lot of movies and music, spend time on YouTube, etc., and then read only what's in our interest areas, happily ignoring everything else.

Magazines / paid content of all forms are like a contract of trust between readers and us content creators. We do the work of sifting through the millions of things happening, and find what's relevant, what needs to be thought more about, what are the other ways to look at certain "facts", etc., and readers pay a nominal fee to get the results of all that research. We get salaries from that, and it encourages us to do even better and dig even deeper. That's the Digit idea, at least, and I prefer it that way because any company that charges readers nothing, and depends solely on advertisers for revenue, then becomes a model to fear.

Think about it, the reason Digit will do F**k You Consumers type of stories, or the more recent Flipkart story, and others don't, is because of you, our readers, who pay our salaries. It's why the magazine exists, even though only around 2 lakh people read the mag and something like 5 million people come to the site.

No one in our company has ever asked us editorial staff to write favourably about any company, or even reads what we write before we publish it, and I never expect our directors to ever do that. It's left to the editors to decide, and we will publish anything fact-based, no matter whose egos it bruises, or which toes we step on. This develops an attitude, the Digit attitude I call it, for all of our writers and reviewers, who know that only the facts and the testing results matter to what we write, and we don't care if company A is our biggest advertiser, if their product sucks, we say it sucks. If we write a feature about how customers are getting screwed, we couldn't care less if no one advertises that month, because we know it's a story that needs to be told...

However, if we were an ad-only revenue model, even with our directors never pressurising us, when appraisals dry up, and pink slips start coming because we can't afford to run as an independent, maverick and care-free editorial voice, because advertisers can find others who won't bother with all that and toe their desired line... you can guess what happens to morale, and how fast the desire to be factual and always correct with a "give a damn" attitude dries up.

Anyway, the idea of posting this is not to say "Buy Digit", on the contrary, if you really feel Digit is worthless to you, stop buying, and tell us, and it's our headache to figure out how to make it relevant again, and get you to buy it again.

However, don't go down the path of thinking "Why waste money on any content, when I can get it for free with broadband." because that will just degrade the type of content you get and turn it into all of the "bloggers" out there who "review" products. They're mostly just fanboys and paid mouthpieces of certain companies. They're enjoying trips abroad for free, and getting their hands on the latest gadgets, but they're also totally dependent on said companies to be of any relevance, or any importance - vicious circle. If we all give in to accepting that as the media we trust, then we lose as a whole. You might as well start buying products and deciding careers solely based on advertising and "popular opinion", and I'm sure none of you really wants that. Right?

@DesmondDavid: No, I joined Digit in Feb 2003, before that I was a regular reader of Jasubhai's Chip since 1998, which became Digit in 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom