Cheap upgradation

Asmeet

Broken In
I am right now having an Intel P4 3.0 ghz system with 2 gig of ram but now I want to upgrade to a new and probably faster cpu
my budget is around 5-7k in which I will also have to upgrade my motherboard which only supports P4 45nm processors.
But I am having a hard time finding processors that fit this price range all the i processors are way beyond my budget.
Can any one please suggest me which processor should I buy and an accompanying motherboard too keeping in mind my budget of 5-7k

PentiumD

Broken In
You have to change motherboard + processor then u have to change RAM also to DDR3 because old processors cost more than new ones

Here is my suggestion
Component Make Price
CPU Intel Pentium G620 3300
Motherboard ASUS P8H61-M LX 3050
RAM Corsair 4GB DDR3 1150

Total 7500

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Good suggestion above! Go for this Sandy Bridge Pentium processor with that H61 motherboard. This will totally serve your purpose.

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
You have to change motherboard + processor then u have to change RAM also to DDR3 because old processors cost more than new ones

Here is my suggestion
Component Make Price
CPU Intel Pentium G620 3300
Motherboard ASUS P8H61-M LX 3050
RAM Corsair 4GB DDR3 1150

Total 7500
The pentium 4 I have is 3.0 GHz but Intel Pentium G620 is only 2.6 GHz isn't it a slower processor than what I have ??

Cilus

laborare est orare
No it is not. Performance of a processor is not measured by its speed only, it is mainly dependent upon the architecture or design of the processor. G620 is based on latest Sandy bridge architecture which is far more superior than your Pentium 4. Moreover g620 is a dual core processor. So expect 3/4 times more performance from it compared to your P4.

joe

From NoWhere
If you go for amd then it will be cheap.
amd athlon ii x2 260 3.2Ghz= 2500.00
gigabyte 780g chipset M/B=2200.00
corsair 4gb ddr3 xms ram=1400.00

total 6100.00
This configuration is good. It works great in my friend's game parlor with GFX.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Well its OPs call. Buy a better Combo with 1.4k premium or save it and settle for a AMD. Anyways these are low end components so I don't think any task for this class either of 2 configs would go wrong.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Athlon II X2 260 is simply not a match for G620. The SB based Dual core most of the times beat the quad core Athlon II processors in gaming. In Multi-tasking also it is miles ahead of Athlon II 260.

techlover

In the zone
Off topic question
Will this """ ASUS P8H61-M LX"" u suggested work with i5 processor as well?
and which i5 processor is the best???

I am also thinking of upgrading my pc

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, you can plug even an I7 processor in H61 chipset.

I am also thinking of upgrading my pc
Create a new thread specifying your needs as the way OP has done it.

Top Bottom