Can We build a Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
it is a vision and it can become a reality only if companies start introducing swappable parts, think of a mobile cpu with its motherboard and own gpu on some standard chasis. But i guess thats quite some time away we dont even have the freedom to replace laptop gpus....

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
well we already have many models from different companies. Even if companies do allow customisation it will be very very complex. Whether to get Snapdragon or Tegra,etc

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
As funny as the posts of pratyush997 may seem, but there's actually a good vision by him.

I too wish someday, we can customize our phones according to the features that we want. A future where we can select the best components or can focus on a particular feature according to our budget is all that is left now in mobile technology. As important as the hardware part is, more important part is the freedom of choosing software platform.

I would like to have a phone, where just like a PC, I have the choice to install Android or WP, or Meego or any other. It just seem far fetched now.. but I see it becoming reality in a not-so-distant future.

Very Nicely Put! +1

well we already have many models from different companies. Even if companies do allow customisation it will be very very complex. Whether to get Snapdragon or Tegra,etc

It'll be complex for the companies that'll be offering customization. Not for us. We will be required to just choose.

OP
pratyush997

pratyush997

Inactive
Is it possible to give order of around 1000 Smart phones with the components the one want and later sell it to any company

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Not possible, but interesting concept. We need to be able to build our own phone instead of being at the mercy of the (capitalist) manufacturers. We could upgrade it anytime, without having to chuck it out for a newer model.

However, I think we can still assemble our own tablets using a development board such as the Raspberry Pi.

OP
pratyush997

pratyush997

Inactive
Not possible, but interesting concept. We need to be able to build our own phone instead of being at the mercy of the (capitalist) manufacturers. We could upgrade it anytime, without having to chuck it out for a newer model.

However, I think we can still assemble our own tablets using a development board such as the Raspberry Pi.
Thats Cool if we can Build our own Tablets and if we can multi-boot it (Like in Nokia N9-Meego+ICS).
IT would simply rockzzzzz

Yes , you can if you go to china "Build a smartphone" and work in some low wage paying factories,or work as a child labour.
I have done it at home , it worked
^Just joking , don't take seriously I just repaired it.
But your idea looks promising , may be you can start a company and fullfill my dreams some years later.

Company and me =Not possible I don't have $$$$$ to start one!! LOLzzzzzz

Last edited:

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
Is There any way we Can Assemble A Smartphone like we do in PC. Like Exynos 4 Quad processor, Super Amoled + Display With Corning Gorilla Glass, Raspberry Pi GPU, 2100 mAh Battery and Cabinet(Body) of Nokia Lumia 900(Big N9)

Yeah you can, maybe then compete with market leaders like Samsung etc!

On a serious note why do you wish to custom build a smartphone when there are endless choices available!?

OP
pratyush997

pratyush997

Inactive
Yeah you can, maybe then compete with market leaders like Samsung etc!

On a serious note why do you wish to custom build a smartphone when there are endless choices available!?
Because Many Don't want / Can't Afford to get a new Smartphone evrry 1.5-2 years...
So if the one can Get a
killer looking Body(Nokia Lumia 900/N9) --[Cabinet]
adreno 205/ any(Depends upon the choice of customer) --[GPU]
quad-core Proccy --[CPU]
Any Battery
Just like we do assemble our PC or make Rig (wither gaming or Just normal)
Don't you Think So!!!

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
Because Many Don't want / Can't Afford to get a new Smartphone evrry 1.5-2 years...
So if the one can Get a
killer looking Body(Nokia Lumia 900/N9) --[Cabinet]
adreno 205/ any(Depends upon the choice of customer) --[GPU]
quad-core Proccy --[CPU]
Any Battery
Just like we do assemble our PC or make Rig (wither gaming or Just normal)
Don't you Think So!!!

I'm happy with my Bold 3, so to answer your query "I don't think so."
Get in touch with some china maal supplier, but don't expect a reliable phone.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
lol.but in future it should be possible

With china maal? Impossible.
Choose between warranty or performance, you can't have both when dealing with china made stuff.

If you are so keen to 'assemble' a smartphone that does everything you have dreamed of contact Rajnikanth, read more here - Satire: Rajinikanth's 'R' Series Mobile Launch

OP
pratyush997

pratyush997

Inactive
With china maal? Impossible.
Choose between warranty or performance, you can't have both when dealing with china made stuff.

If you are so keen to 'assemble' a smartphone that does everything you have dreamed of contact Rajnikanth, read more here - Satire: Rajinikanth's 'R' Series Mobile Launch
FTW..LOLzzzzzzz 24G <<This made me :rofl:
I'm not Talkin About China Maal now but Other than that

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Thats Cool if we can Build our own Tablets and if we can multi-boot it (Like in Nokia N9-Meego+ICS).
IT would simply rockzzzzz

Still it would take a lot of time, since Raspberry Pi is not exactly a motherboard. Its a development board and you will have to first get all the components required for all functionality like bluetooth (it has in-build support perhaps), card readers, display, touchscreen, etc. and manually solder them to the board and then you may have to build a custom ROM for all those components and their drivers, etc.

In short, a load of headache. Only attempt if you feel adventurous.

OP
pratyush997

pratyush997

Inactive
Still it would take a lot of time, since Raspberry Pi is not exactly a motherboard. Its a development board and you will have to first get all the components required for all functionality like bluetooth (it has in-build support perhaps), card readers, display, touchscreen, etc. and manually solder them to the board and then you may have to build a custom ROM for all those components and their drivers, etc.

In short, a load of headache. Only attempt if you feel adventurous.
There should be swappable components.... huh

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Nope, everything is fixed. You can add solder some components over it I think to add functionality. Check this out.

X-jo

Broken In
if u r really serious abt it, then this mite help to get you the basics.. ignore the 'make millions' part for now :p
How to build your own Android Smartphone and MAKE MILLIONS!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom