Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac AI/AIS lens will have that mentioned..yes the link may have the AIS 50mm 1.4 ..cause its not mentioned as AF lens

if lens is AF then it will be either D or non-D
Thank you. So I take it as AIs lens?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Do you guys have any idea how this is taken?

*i.imgur.com/YMqtITZ.jpg

I don't know whether this is beyond my understanding or it's some technique to capture this one or it's out and out image manipulation.

Though I have seen photos like this before, never bothered to know/understand the technique behind it. But for the past few days, I am trying to figure out how it is possible. I have been googling for the last few days and I was about to ask you guys here, but did one last googling before posting and found it.

If you guys don't know, I will say what I read.
Note: I don't know the depth, just the one line explaining how it was done.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I also think its manipulation...how come a back big circle in the sky...if it would have started from a single point maybe then I would agree...

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
star trails, series of superimposed long exposures. the black dot is very creative framing I guess.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Seen this many times, assumed that it was a zooming out during taking multiple shots for star trails.

Then superimpose with the house

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ooh
guess it is possible without manipulation using some rig, with a motorized zoom and possibly a track on the ground

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Seen this many times, assumed that it was a zooming out during taking multiple shots for star trails.
Amlan got it. Generally we get arc/circle when trying star trails, but here he got whirlpool effect. The technique is using zoom during exposure, which gives him this whirlpool effect. I think he used some kinda electronic tool to automate the zooming.

As Anorion said, that big black dot is a creative inclusion. I guess, it's not from the camera.

That image composed of 160 shots for star trails and 1 shot for the church taken @ twilight.

Seems like this effect can be simulated using some software too without using "zooming tool". But still got to shoot star trails though.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is there a good tutorial. Have some pics i can try this with
You mean for that "zooming during star trail exposure" shot?
I think I saw one when I googled last night. But I don't remember what keyword I used, and couldn't find it.

I didn't go through the article. So I don't know, whether is good enough. For a start you can try this, I guess. If you don't find it useful, try these keywords (these are the terms I came across yesterday)

Vortex startrail
zoom startrail
startrail whirlpool effect (I coined this term and didn't find many results, so you can skip this ;)

Vortex star trails tutorial - Sergio Garcia Rill PhotographySergio Garcia Rill Photography

- - - Updated - - -

Few more

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone would like to do DIY zoom machine, check this link
Motorize Your DSLR Zoom Lens

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Just got this idea...

The more emphasis on bridge camera is telephoto focal length. Though people use wide angle from time to time, that telephoto matters a lot.

Why the bridge has to start all the way from ~24mm? Why not start from ~500mm? Like 500-2000mm f/4-5.6 4x zoom.

There are compacts with prime but all of 'em are wide angle lens. How about 2000mm f/5.6 prime on a bridge?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac actually its not a bad idea...but useful for very less guys ...the target audience of bridge cam wants an allrounder which can do anything..if u get a fixed 500-2000 it will be only for wildlife and birding protographers

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac actually its not a bad idea...but useful for very less guys ...the target audience of bridge cam wants an allrounder which can do anything..if u get a fixed 500-2000 it will be only for wildlife and birding protographers
Yeah, target customers will be less and so is for many products. They will do market study and all, and make it if it's a viable. Though of this idea and shared it.

If any manufacturers find this post and make it, they are more than welcome to gift me one. ;)

sujoyp

Grand Master
lol you will be there first customer...btw what will you do with 500mm starting....I dont find any other use then wildlife ;) not even flowers ...may take portraits of people from long distance :D you know what i mean ;)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
lol you will be there first customer...btw what will you do with 500mm starting....I dont find any other use then wildlife ;) not even flowers ...may take portraits of people from long distance :D you know what i mean ;)
Yeah, I get it. :)
Would be a very good tool for paparazzi...
Bridges are good for macros as well. Though people don't use >200mm for portrait work, but I have seen some. Like 600mm... Check these links for 600mm portraits.

Hand-Held 600mm Portraits in Park City | JarvieDigital Photography Blog

300mm & 600mm Portraits -- Kids & Family in photography-on-the.net forums

sujoyp

Grand Master
wow..great portraits...just that for price of 600mm prime i can get lot of stuff for portrait photography

Top Bottom