Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What's the syantax for the video code?
I am using icon - looks like a film (the one next to image icon)
If you click "Switch to source mode" (the very first icon in the top left), it will reveal the codes used in the post. That's how I get this code ;)
[ video]videolink[/video] (ignore space)
-----------x------------
I got this doubt, it's more for the knowledge than using it in my camera.

I see there are various "bit" raw files, like 12 bit, 14 bit and all and compressed and uncompressed (and there is also lossless compression). How do I know what RAW file I am getting with CHDK? (I am assuming, uncompressed). Is this possible to know these information from exif or some other way other than asking the photographer what was the settings used?

In fact, RAW file properties doesn't even show the exif info. I can see only when I use some software...

I have actually seen people using Bridge or DSLRs with telephoto lenses for portrait shooting, usually outdoor and with a very strong background. The problem is that many times, people are intimidated by such lenses and the overall shooting experience is not that great. Not that anyone will be able to do street/general photography in India, we are still too conservative for that. Sadly, for ILCs from Sony, there is no cheap telephoto lens. I now personally prefer 35mm and 50mm prime combo, and use my kit zoom for general photography....but there are times I wish I had a telephoto lens(concerts etc..)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sorry Nac...no idea...will have to do google search :)
[MENTION=284377]Siddhartht[/MENTION] I have got good portraits from my 55-200 lens...but thing is its good in daytime..and very slow at evening..
for concerts i think a 70-200 2.8 is good .or even a 135mm f2.8 is enough.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Not that anyone will be able to do street/general photography in India, we are still too conservative for that
Yeah, both subject and photographer ;)

Sorry Nac...no idea...will have to do google search :)
Yeah, I did google for couple of days before posting. I generally does that and ask here if I couldn't find any or understand much from google.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, finished reading all those posts before I joined. Roughly it took me about 50 days to read those 4500 posts.

It was nice reading them. Some funny posts, some total newbie questions. Sometimes people asked the same question again in matter of few pages. Yeah, forgets things easily or may be they were not paying enough attention to the poster.

Now I feel that I should have copied those funny posts and shared with you guys, but missed :( Not just that, should have quoted some nice photographs, tips, suggestions. Totally missed. Didn't get the idea when I started.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Wow... Thats some dedication. Would've also given you an idea of how much technology has changed and how much the tech we have in india has changed

I remember that the first few pics i clicked were terrible and my only post process was to increase the saturation in irfanview

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I remember that the first few pics i clicked were terrible and my only post process was to increase the saturation in irfanview
They may not have the IQ of NEX 6, but they were good.
I used sony's P&S T700 and edited using picasa only :)
Come on, many of us thought touching photographs are morally wrong/cheat to get a better pictures until realize that it's alright to do PP. Even after adopting PPing in our photographs, how many proudly said "these are as-is photographs", "straight out of the camera" when posted ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Come on, many of us thought touching photographs are morally wrong/cheat to get a better pictures until realize that it's alright to do PP. Even after adopting PPing in our photographs, how many proudly said "these are as-is photographs", "straight out of the camera" when posted ;)

PP is an integral part of photography. I used to think otherwise before but not now.

Well, if anyone shoots in RAW, they are doing post processing anyway. I always say, if one wants to go with default camera output, go with Fuji....I don't know any other camera with similar tonal and color characteristics inbuilt, except maybe for Ricoh GR.
I don't think any of the picture I take is exempt from post processing, even if I don't want to, I have to adjust parameters.

On a side note, decided to go with Sony 35mm prime and 50mm prime for my A6000....I was thinking of going with Full frame lenses before, but the additional crop factor along with extra price...not worth it.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thats great siddarth...even I was thinking of 35mm prime this season

BTW yesterday I found that Nikon have launched a 200-500 AFS VR for 1400$ :) its awesome man...why didnt it make news ...people say it will cost around 75k in india

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I used to think otherwise before but not now.
Yeah, pretty much everyone did (I think) when they picked this hobby.
On a side note, decided to go with Sony 35mm prime and 50mm prime for my A6000....I was thinking of going with Full frame lenses before, but the additional crop factor along with extra price...not worth it.
thats great siddarth...even I was thinking of 35mm prime this season
Do you guys fancy full manual lens? Or fancy to use like old school way? Even old AI, AIs lens or third party lens via adapter?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have D7000 which have pentaprism viewfinder...so I can manage with old lenses ..I am ok with manual lenses which are mostly used for creative photography and not everyday usage...like 24mm, 85mm,135mm primes.
I even wanted a Nikkor 135mm 2.8 AIS lens.

but the lens which I use for people photography or slightly fast moving things like bugs birds, i want AF in that.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yeah, pretty much everyone did (I think) when they picked this hobby.

Do you guys fancy full manual lens? Or fancy to use like old school way? Even old AI, AIs lens or third party lens via adapter?
I've been using a lot of old manual lenses even for event pics. The speed on getting the right focus builds as you get used to the lens. After that they give pretty good results

Plus they are very cheap. Think rs 5000 for a 50mm f/1.4

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy,
BTW, you have 50, 55 micro, 17-50, 90 macro... All of these are fast lens. Why do you want 35mm? Doesn't 17-50 covered that focal length? Wouldn't something different be better? Like ultra wide angle lens...
Plus they are very cheap. Think rs 5000 for a 50mm f/1.4
One of the main reason for me fancying old lens and other being aperture ring. I have even tried buying old lens even though I don't have a dslr.

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] I have tried these for photographing my friends and found all these useless
50mm - too tight..have to go almost 6 feet for full body shot...but gives awesome pics ...but most of friends give poses which cant be captured easily with this..as it become almost 85mm on DX
55mm- same reason as 50mm plus manual lens takes time and no one wants to wait except flowers :D

17-50 - dont give that kind of prime lens effect...its just good in low light...OOF background is not that good
90 macro - its like 135mm on dx and too close...need to go 10 feet for just portraits..no use

I want 35mm which will effectively work as 50mm on DX..and I can take full body shots from closer with good background blurring :)

Top Bottom