Camera talk...

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
my (camera-noob) friend has a budget of 50k
I suggested the 1200d with 18-55mm and 55-250mm but she seems hell bent on getting a higher end camera(she wants a better display and I feel she will be more comfy with a touch screen)
so I suggested the 700D with the same kit lenses for 40k off amazon and flipkart
any suggestions?

sujoyp

Grand Master
If there is a budget of 50k then definitely I wont go for 1200D ...
700D is a great cam..I think its combination for 40k is a great deal :)

This way she can spend the remaining 10k on useful things like bag,tripod etc

[MENTION=284377]Siddhartht[/MENTION] what happened with the lens to put the cam out of commission? And how do i avoid it

The kit lens of the A7 II is pretty good. More versatile than a prime.

Rangefinder lenses typically extend the rear element tube backwards, although I knew about that, my friend didn't, and he pushed it a little too backward...Damage done. On the top of it, he tried to "buff" the scratches, and that ends the story of my NEX6. I guess normal SLR lenses don't pose this problem since there is mirror box to avoid. I would advice you against any wide angle "classical" lenses, unless it is specifically mentioned that they were meant for SLRs.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I gotta Tokina 11-16mm as macro its very good,but you need the correct techniques with it. A very good lens with extremely good optics.

OK I'll post the snaps here soon,I hate posting it somewhere and then link it here too cumbersome..... Lazy me ... Hardly in to PC these days!!!! Had a hard time cleaning my gaming PC and heatsinkpasting every Chip !!!

raja manuel

In the zone
my (camera-noob) friend has a budget of 50k
I suggested the 1200d with 18-55mm and 55-250mm but she seems hell bent on getting a higher end camera(she wants a better display and I feel she will be more comfy with a touch screen)
so I suggested the 700D with the same kit lenses for 40k off amazon and flipkart
any suggestions?

The 700D is the better camera but it will require investment in additional accessories to get the most out of it. So the question really is whether your friend will turn into a shutterbug who continues to invest in the system or mothball the camera in a couple of months once the novelty has worn off and all the disadvantages of a DSLR become apparent (which may camera noobs do). If she is more likely to mothball the camera I would recommend the 1200D twin lens kit as that would mean less money wasted.

How sure are you that she needs a DSLR? How much of a camera noob is she?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
The 700D is the better camera but it will require investment in additional accessories to get the most out of it. So the question really is whether your friend will turn into a shutterbug who continues to invest in the system or mothball the camera in a couple of months once the novelty has worn off and all the disadvantages of a DSLR become apparent (which may camera noobs do). If she is more likely to mothball the camera I would recommend the 1200D twin lens kit as that would mean less money wasted.

How sure are you that she needs a DSLR? How much of a camera noob is she?

shes a total camera noob
I guess if she decides to mothball,either her father(an IITian with a keen interest in gadgets) might end up with it or she may end up selling it to me
I tried convincing her for 1200D but she didnt like the display
her father asked me how 70D(not 700D) was,I tried to explain the difference and how much more he will have to shell out in the long run to make full use of a full frame camera especially for a camera noob who may or may not continue using it :D

- - - Updated - - -

If there is a budget of 50k then definitely I wont go for 1200D ...
700D is a great cam..I think its combination for 40k is a great deal :)

This way she can spend the remaining 10k on useful things like bag,tripod etc

yeah thats what I thought
Do you think Nikon will have something more suited for her needs?just curious

- - - Updated - - -

Rangefinder lenses typically extend the rear element tube backwards, although I knew about that, my friend didn't, and he pushed it a little too backward...Damage done. On the top of it, he tried to "buff" the scratches, and that ends the story of my NEX6. I guess normal SLR lenses don't pose this problem since there is mirror box to avoid. I would advice you against any wide angle "classical" lenses, unless it is specifically mentioned that they were meant for SLRs.

yeah common mistake
also happens when people put APS-C specific Lenses on a full frame body

yeah common mistake
also happens when people put APS-C specific Lenses on a full frame body

I don't think that there is any harm in using APS-C lenses on Full frame. Typically there will be cropping factor(which should be automatically adjusted by Camera if mounts are similar, eg: E-Mount lenses can be used with any E mount camera, and DX lenses can be used with FX DSLRs from Nikon).

sujoyp

Grand Master
if you use a APSC lens on full frame it will give a roundish black halo around the pic at certain focus length

Nikon D5300 is the compititor to this one...but its much costlier...soo stick to 700D

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Scary... Did not know that this also happens. I thought the adapter gave a lot of space for this... Will find out more about this

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I don't think that there is any harm in using APS-C lenses on Full frame. Typically there will be cropping factor(which should be automatically adjusted by Camera if mounts are similar, eg: E-Mount lenses can be used with any E mount camera, and DX lenses can be used with FX DSLRs from Nikon).

actually most APS-C(EF-S) lenses have a lens element jutting out of the back so when you mount it on a full frame(EF),the mirror might hit the element and both lens and body will be damaged
you need to use extension tubes
Need help: EFS lenses cannot be installed on Full Frame bodies: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
using an EF-S lens on a full frame: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
You can not mount EF-S lens on full-frame body: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

though I have successfully mounted my 55-250mm on my uncles 5D mk3 successfully before

- - - Updated - - -

btw guys ,will 18-135mm with a 50mm prime lens(later on) be a better combo for her?
I dont know how comfy she will be with switching lenses

sujoyp

Grand Master
@kkn for noob 50mm is total waste...even I donno how to use 50mm yet and why people praise it :D

18-135 will be a superzoom lens type...My friend used it very nicely and it gave good shots...but its reach is too less once you want to zoom in to something...soo 18-55, 55-250 combo is fine

raja manuel

In the zone
shes a total camera noob
Do you mean that she doesn't make much use of even a compact camera, and even her mobile photography is rather limited? Very high chance of mothballing.

her father asked me how 70D(not 700D) was,I tried to explain the difference and how much more he will have to shell out in the long run to make full use of a full frame camera
70D is APS-C, not Full Frame.

@kkn for noob 50mm is total waste...even I donno how to use 50mm yet and why people praise it
They usualy praise it because others praise it :) The other reason is the search for 'bokeh' without even understanding what the term means. I get particularly annoyed when someone swears by a 50mm for portraits because 'bokeh' without noticing the distortion in the subject.

18-135 will be a superzoom lens type...My friend used it very nicely and it gave good shots...but its reach is too less once you want to zoom in to something...soo 18-55, 55-250 combo is fine
I agree with this - and Canon's 55-250 is a very good lens for its price. Would be a shame to deprive someone of it. If, however, your friend is more of a vacation shooter then the 18-135 lens may suit her better.

actually most APS-C(EF-S) lenses have a lens element jutting out of the back so when you mount it on a full frame(EF),the mirror might hit the element and both lens and body will be damaged
you need to use extension tubes
Need help: EFS lenses cannot be installed on Full Frame bodies: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
using an EF-S lens on a full frame: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
You can not mount EF-S lens on full-frame body: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

though I have successfully mounted my 55-250mm on my uncles 5D mk3 successfully before

- - - Updated - - -

btw guys ,will 18-135mm with a 50mm prime lens(later on) be a better combo for her?
I dont know how comfy she will be with switching lenses

Oh, then I think it is a problem with Canon only....

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Oh, then I think it is a problem with Canon only....

dunno if its specific to Canon itself,perhaps an expert can elaborate more

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean that she doesn't make much use of even a compact camera, and even her mobile photography is rather limited? Very high chance of mothballing.

70D is APS-C, not Full Frame.

They usualy praise it because others praise it :) The other reason is the search for 'bokeh' without even understanding what the term means. I get particularly annoyed when someone swears by a 50mm for portraits because 'bokeh' without noticing the distortion in the subject.

I agree with this - and Canon's 55-250 is a very good lens for its price. Would be a shame to deprive someone of it. If, however, your friend is more of a vacation shooter then the 18-135 lens may suit her better.

oh my bad,I thought 70D was full frame
still,I guess 70D will be overkill for a noob
she does extensively use her iphone and a Nikon point and shoot for photos

btw what do you guys think about a mirrorless vs a superzoom(she already has one) vs dslr for her?
I dont think she would be much into lenses etc,atleast not at the moment but she seems open to any options

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I would pick mirror less coz they are compact and bit easier to hold and use.

I have owned the Sony Nex-6 in the past(actually my fathers) and it was a bit slippery for my hands at the time(I have big hands :D )
can you guys suggest a mirrorless which has a good grip(personal experience preferable ) :)
sorry to bother you guys with so many questions
I probably know the answer but I want to be sure so I am ready to present her with her best options

sujoyp

Grand Master
tell the pro and cons properly...pic quality is not the only thing here.

1. RX100 - small pocket cam, 3x zoom, awesome quality, noob can use, maybe sometime used for photography too...maynot have that wow value but good..and yes 3x zoom only, no tension of fungus
2. Mirrorless - its small , but not as small to keep in pocket, it have great quality, great for photography, mostly poor grip, cheaper ones dont have viewfinder,specialized lens costlier then DSLR ones , take care of moisture and fungus
3. DSLR - big, heavy, unlimited opportunity to do anything that a pro can do (light system, macro system, underwater), need care from dust and moisture,may need to invenst in anything new you want to do, birding need zoom lens, insect need macro, portrait with blurred background need prime etc etc...deeper you go more u spend...viewfinder is really good to use..and pentaprism is much better in D7000,D7100, 7D,60D,70D then pentamirror in lowe models

4. Superzoom - big,bulky,jack of all master of none , huge zoom need good stable surface and similar photography knowledge as in DSLR, photo quality is just like a P&S, good to show off :D

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
If her father is looking for a 70D I'll say better go all the way to a Phenomenal Canon APSC 7DMK2 or a full frame awesome Nikon D750. Its either a 700D or all the way up. 70D had focussing issues I hope that's resolved now,please check before purchasing. In between the 700D and 70D a better camera is a Nikon D7000/7100. My two cents....this comes from a Canon guy.

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
shes a total camera noob
I guess if she decides to mothball,either her father(an IITian with a keen interest in gadgets) might end up with it or she may end up selling it to me
I tried convincing her for 1200D but she didnt like the display
her father asked me how 70D(not 700D) was,I tried to explain the difference and how much more he will have to shell out in the long run to make full use of a full frame camera especially for a camera noob who may or may not continue using it :D

- - - Updated - - -

yeah thats what I thought
Do you think Nikon will have something more suited for her needs?just curious

- - - Updated - - -

If she is going to sell it to you, suggest her a Full frame camera of your choice :p

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I convinced her to get a 1200D for starters :D :p
before committing so much money to something she may or may not take up

btw guys I bought a 50mm Prime (1.8) and a Digitek Flash(003) !!
gift from my dad and his partner because Ive started taking pics of our products etc !! :)
any tips for product photography and manual flashes?(TTL was rather expensive and Im more of a DIY guy so got a manual one since I wont need it for anything else)

Top Bottom