Camera talk...

sujoyp

Grand Master
Great..anything to start is fine..for diy product photography you search for diy light tent..and create one yourself..its nice to take great product shots.

Cyanide

Broken In
to check for fungus, remove the lens caps and detach from camera ,hold it under a tubelight and slowly adjust the focus and zoom at different angles and see if you see any particles

Did you perform a manual focus test on all 3 cameras, or did you manual focus on your 600D and autofocus on the 1200D and D5200? How does your 600D perform under autofocus?
Camera performance is pretty decent under autofocus.

I went to Canon service center today.
They told me there was a bit of fungus on both the lens (18-55 & 55-250) which they cleaned.
Will click some pics tomorrow & check the result.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Do check if the autofocus has a fine adjustment setting. This will allow you to make fine changes in case the autofocus is not as spot on as you would like

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Camera performance is pretty decent under autofocus.

I went to Canon service center today.
They told me there was a bit of fungus on both the lens (18-55 & 55-250) which they cleaned.
Will click some pics tomorrow & check the result.

did they charge you,just curious
also how much did they charge if so

Cyanide

Broken In
Do check if the autofocus has a fine adjustment setting. This will allow you to make fine changes in case the autofocus is not as spot on as you would like

Thank you for letting me know about AF adjustment.
Unfortunately canon 600D doesn't have AF fine adjustment setting though. :|

did they charge you,just curious
also how much did they charge if so

Hello kkn13,
Canon didn't charge me for lens cleaning.
The lady at the service center told me "You get a complimentary service from canon which you can use within 2 years of bill date. Your camera and lens doesn't require much cleaning. I would suggest to use the free servicing after monsoon".

+1 for Canon Service :)

OT : I bought Canon's new 50mm f1.8 STM lens (for Rs 8300 from ImageStore, Thane... listed price on canon online store and amazon is ~8900). Initial results are pretty much as per my expectations.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
omg I bought 50mm f1.8 II just 2 weeks ago :(
didnt know the STM was gonna release, am I losing out on much?
is the II build quality really bad?

Cyanide

Broken In
I didn't own any prime lens before this one.
Therefore honestly I cannot judge which one is better.

Btw STM was released nearly 3 weeks ago (~ 11th May 2015)
I read some reviews online which mentioned newer lens is slightly* (* it can be a perception) better than old one w.r.t focus & sharpness.

Anyway STM is mostly helpful for shooting videos... so no.. you are not losing out much!
enjoy the nifty fifty :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I didn't own any prime lens before this one.
Therefore honestly I cannot judge which one is better.

Btw STM was released nearly 3 weeks ago (~ 11th May 2015)
I read some reviews online which mentioned newer lens is slightly* (* it can be a perception) better than old one w.r.t focus & sharpness.

Anyway STM is mostly helpful for shooting videos... so no.. you are not losing out much!
enjoy the nifty fifty :)

the 50mm is my first prime as well
I saw a few reviews online and it looks like the STM only has a more silent autofocus motor and a metal ring
I use my 18-55mm most of the time anyways and hence impromptu video is generally taken from my 18-55mm only so I guess I shouldnt regret my purchase of the 50mm II
plus theres also the price difference of 2-3k depending on source

raja manuel

In the zone
The non STM 50mm IS II is (in)famous for needing calibration on many APS-C bodies. I hope this is better on the STM version. But mostly I wonder how this fares against Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 for Canon which is supposed to have beaten the non STM version in many areas.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
The non STM 50mm IS II is (in)famous for needing calibration on many APS-C bodies. I hope this is better on the STM version. But mostly I wonder how this fares against Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 for Canon which is supposed to have beaten the non STM version in many areas.

can you elaborate on the calibration bit pls?

raja manuel

In the zone
Many people report front/back focus issues when using the lens on APS-C bodies under PDAF. I don't know if the lens really has more issues than other lenses, or if it is just that it is a very popular lens so there are a lot of reports exacerbated by the very shallow depth-of-focus. The solution is to calibrate the lens to the particular body - either using microfocus adjustment (mentioned earlier in the thread) if your body offers it or by the service centre if it doesn't.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Bought a Sony Alpha a6000 with the 16-50 kit lens and an additional 50mm F1.8 prime lens last week. Total damages 61k :neutral:. This is my first pro camera. Thought of going mirrorless instead of DSLR due to the light weight and sleek looks. Didn't want to look like a cameraman. Getting used to the PASM modes.
Sony lenses are so damn costly than nikon and canon!

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Bought a Sony Alpha a6000 with the 16-50 kit lens and an additional 50mm F1.8 prime lens last week. Total damages 61k :neutral:. This is my first pro camera. Thought of going mirrorless instead of DSLR due to the light weight and sleek looks. Didn't want to look like a cameraman. Getting used to the PASM modes.
Sony lenses are so damn costly than nikon and canon!

61k?? :O :O
btw why not EOS M + EOS adapter to use dslr lenses on the M body?just curious

- - - Updated - - -

Many people report front/back focus issues when using the lens on APS-C bodies under PDAF. I don't know if the lens really has more issues than other lenses, or if it is just that it is a very popular lens so there are a lot of reports exacerbated by the very shallow depth-of-focus. The solution is to calibrate the lens to the particular body - either using microfocus adjustment (mentioned earlier in the thread) if your body offers it or by the service centre if it doesn't.

do you mean the issues where it tries to focus beyond its length and makes a thuk-thuk sound until you step a bit away from the subject?
if so I have noticed this and if theres a solution pls do share

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION], I had thought of Canon EOS-M first, but then read about the negative reviews reg. its autofocus, no EVF, battery life etc. Moreover, I didn't like the look of it. It doesn't have a comfortable hand grip for my large hands. Felt like a P&S. No inbuilt flash and the screen isn't tiltable. Sony a6000 on the other hand has got so many positive reviews throughout the web. The pictures I've taken in absolute darkness with the 50MMF1.8 prime turned out to be stunning without any flash at all. I don't have any plans on buying new lenses. Just the prime should do. Moreover I can use Canon and Nikon lenses in manual mode using adapters from ebay.

Subhankar Mondal

I love Digit
I am facing a problem. I have Nikon s 3700 camera . I can not view videos connecting it with my computer ; I also can not see any video while connecting my camera with my Android mobile via WiFi using Nikon wireless mobile utility app . Otherwise everything is ok.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION], I had thought of Canon EOS-M first, but then read about the negative reviews reg. its autofocus, no EVF, battery life etc. Moreover, I didn't like the look of it. It doesn't have a comfortable hand grip for my large hands. Felt like a P&S. No inbuilt flash and the screen isn't tiltable. Sony a6000 on the other hand has got so many positive reviews throughout the web. The pictures I've taken in absolute darkness with the 50MMF1.8 prime turned out to be stunning without any flash at all. I don't have any plans on buying new lenses. Just the prime should do. Moreover I can use Canon and Nikon lenses in manual mode using adapters from ebay.

Oh that makes sense
I also owned a Sony Nex in the past for a while,used it as a point and shoot when I was a young noob,delightful camera but too slippery,small and tough to grip for my large hands so sold it to a cousin
btw do mirrorless have faster shutter speeds than a regular DSLR?

raja manuel

In the zone
do you mean the issues where it tries to focus beyond its length and makes a thuk-thuk sound until you step a bit away from the subject?
if so I have noticed this and if theres a solution pls do share
If you need to step back from the subject for it to focus then it means you are within the minimum focusing distance of the lens and you need to give it more room - or (less likely) at the closer distance a less sensitive autofocus point is trying to focus and keeps missing but when you step back a more sensitive autofocus point is coming into play and is able to focus, in which case you need to bring the more sensitive autofocus point into play even at the closer distance.

The front/back focus I'm referring to is when PDAF reports that the lens has focused on the desired point but when you see the picture taken you find that the lens has actually focused either to the front or the back of the desired point. This happens because of a calibration error between lens, PDAF sensor, and imaging sensor. The solution in this case is to have the lens calibrated to the body or to stick to CDAF (which obviously cannot front/back focus but has other deficiencies).

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
If you need to step back from the subject for it to focus then it means you are within the minimum focusing distance of the lens and you need to give it more room - or (less likely) at the closer distance a less sensitive autofocus point is trying to focus and keeps missing but when you step back a more sensitive autofocus point is coming into play and is able to focus, in which case you need to bring the more sensitive autofocus point into play even at the closer distance.

The front/back focus I'm referring to is when PDAF reports that the lens has focused on the desired point but when you see the picture taken you find that the lens has actually focused either to the front or the back of the desired point. This happens because of a calibration error between lens, PDAF sensor, and imaging sensor. The solution in this case is to have the lens calibrated to the body or to stick to CDAF (which obviously cannot front/back focus but has other deficiencies).

How to calibrate?does it involve opening the lens up? Ive done it to my old Tamron 28-200mm but I dont have the heart to do it to my newer lenses

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Oh that makes sense
I also owned a Sony Nex in the past for a while,used it as a point and shoot when I was a young noob,delightful camera but too slippery,small and tough to grip for my large hands so sold it to a cousin
btw do mirrorless have faster shutter speeds than a regular DSLR?
The A6000 is a great cam, way better than the EOS M and all.

If by shutter speed your mean burst speed then yes, the NEX or A series will clock 11 frames per sec. In shutter speed they top out at 1/4000 of a sec.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
@izzikio_rage you got some great photos with your NEX 6 and the kit lens :)
Did you buy the manual lenses like Minolta Rokkor, Panagor from ebay?

Top Bottom