Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
sure sure...y not tell your friend circle that you can take awesome portraits......you want to make future in fashion photography :D and want a volunteer ;)
Yeah, with SX130 :) And who's gonna say my portrait work are awesome if not me :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
camera dosnt matter bro...I started with sony T700 without any manual mode 5 yrs ago ;) ur cam is much advanced

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Nac the moment you pull out a reflector people will know you are serious. Tell them that you'll get them the best profile pics they've ever seen and also get feedback from the "pro" photographer community of flickr.

just show them a couple of portraits on flickr/500px if they are still doubtful

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
camera dosnt matter bro...I started with sony T700 without any manual mode 5 yrs ago :wink: ur cam is much advanced
Yeah, it doesn't matter esp. for fashion photography. I may do a calendar next year like Dabboo Ratnani's with my SX130 :D
Nac the moment you pull out a reflector people will know you are serious.
Tell them that you'll get them the best profile pics they've ever seen and also get feedback from the "pro" photographer community of flickr.
Yeah, I read a blog post of a wedding photographer. He said the very same thing. We can't be discreet when using reflector. And it will really an attention grabbing prop. I don't intend to use it in the public and make myself embarrassed. Will see what I am gonna do with this reflector. :)
Really :D :cloud9:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
not take it out in public? Why not ... I would parade it in every public park in town and point to the guy/girl I'm shooting and tell people that he/she is a very famous supermodel.

Then see how many people will beg you to click them

Cyanide

Broken In
Hello,

Just a quick question: I've zeroed down on Canon 600D as my first DSLR after researching (Most of the threads in TD). My brother owns same model and he has some expensive lens as well (therefore Canon :p). I'm confused whether to purchase it online ( if yes from amazon or Flipkart) or buy it locally (38k scares me :-?). As compared to Flipkart, its ~1.5k cheaper in Amazon.

Is above combo a good deal to buy body + 2 lenses?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ The seller is just launched, new to amazon. Better look for sellers who is around for long and reliable. Check other online sellers as well and use coupons if you can.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Guys, see these pics -

*fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1656317_10203339898917646_517780279_n.jpg

*fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1911788_10203339899237654_39294078_n.jpg

What is done to achieve 'that' effect on clouds ? The photographer says he just kept them a bit "underexposed". Not sure what he meant by it (and how to do it). :?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I suggest check canon's website and see if flipkart or amazon are authorised canon retailers or not...

Nikon are rejecting flipkart as there authorised dealer...I am bit scared regarding this

just check locally ...if price difference is 1-1.5 k then get locally

@sujay ...that can be achieved by using a wide angle lens like 10mm wide and a weather like that...nothing else

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
@sujay : Yes it is possible by underexposure to bring out the details in the sky and further burning/sharpening. I have found its always better to underexpose a bit than overexpose as u can bring out details in highlights later by dodging. However, blown out highlights are impossible to recover from jpegs at least. I havent tried raw yet. Waiting for my next significant camera purchase to start dabbling in raws. I love post processing as much as taking pictures

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thanks guys. Actually I was just confused over what underexposed actually meant.

Only after a good cam comes in my hand, I'll be able to grasp all these.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Guys, see these pics -

What is done to achieve 'that' effect on clouds ? The photographer says he just kept them a bit "underexposed". Not sure what he meant by it (and how to do it). :?

Underexposing simply means that you didnt let enough light on the sensor - think of it like watching the world with dark sungalsses on.

The simples way to achieve it is to keep the shutter open less than wehats needed - if the camera thinks 1/500 of a second is correct, then you manually choose to shoot at 1/640 of a second shutter-open. There you have successfully underexposed the picture. There are multiple ways to achive the same result, but this is the simplest example :)

Btw, those are not just "underexposed". They are more a result of heavy contrast+saturation manipulation.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone,
Planning to get this walkaround lens sometime soon after a good amount of research:-

*www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-250mm-3p5-6p3-os-hsm-macro

from *www.amazon.in/Sigma-18-250mm-F3-5-...qid=1394356780&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma-18-250mm

Its nearly as good as the stock 18-55 at 50mm and 80mm and also has a pseudo macro ability, just like it. I believe my usage would be predominanatly in the 35-135mm range, often under overcast skies/ less than ideal lighting.

Sujoy, how good or bad is f6.3 at 135mm by your experience, in less than ideal but (obviously) outdoor, under the sun or shadows like under a tree ?

the only better choice I see is the Canon 18-135 which can do slightly better at f5.6 @ 135mm but I see it doing worser at 80mm which is dead in the middle of my working area :|

*www.dpreview.com/reviews/lens-comp...eraId2=canon_eos7d&version2=0&fl2=135&av2=5.6

sujoyp

Grand Master
@pranav my 55-200 too works at 6.3 on 135mm ...under direct sun obviously it wont matter...but under shadow to get proper exposure you may need ISO800

canon 18-135 IS is a good lens...one of my friend use it and it gives good results

walkaround lens is always nice to have and I too wish I had one....but it a pack of compromises...and you have to adjust with that
hope you get this one and give a positive report :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
what is this walkaround lens? I always thought that it's a lens that people find suitable for street photography and stuff. A lot of the articles I read (specially the mad people from digitalrevtv, see it if you haven't) tend to call 50mm fast primes as great walk around lenses.

BTW please share some books/articles/projects on some new photography stuff, am absolutely stuck in a rut as far as my images are concerned

sujoyp

Grand Master
just check the link I gave yeasterday in photography thread ...its very very useful ...so many tips from actual users...from tripod to birding to autofocus and what not ...check that in detail...I just loved it ..and 1st thing I did was to set my birding setting according to them :D

I really think walkaround lens term depends on person to person ....if 50mm was soo good why will nikon release a 17-55 f2.8 for 1 lakh ;) I find my 55-200 lens the good walk around lens although not fast enough ...but its light weight ...it produces good bokeh ...it take sharp pics even wide open ...I have used it for all occations...and its useful ...

I will say 18-105 mm may be the best walk around lens for me...like a holiday lens...I can shoot wide..zoom a bit...mayget some blurry BG on portraits ...and its small and light...no tension of lens change in most difficult situations

kaz

right here
I think its time now we should stop spending further in DSLRs, at least I would because things are changing pretty fast....

Nikon 1 V3 Announcement

Top Bottom