Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
STAT/REPORT:
Last year less compact were announced, drop of 20% comparing with the previous three years and increase in large sensor compacts, about doubled comparing with previous year. About 2/3rd of the cameras gets its announcement in Jan-Feb every year (Stat: 2010-2013), this year we saw drop of over 40% for the same period (Jan-Feb). It's a huge drop in the last five years. I guess soon there will be no more point and shoot, just high/mega/super zoom and large sensor compacts.
Camera manufacturers are posting decline in sales of digital camera...
And the same report suggests that Nikon will go out of business if the trend continues. :shock:
Many articles suggests that "DSLR is a dying breed", "Consumer DLSRs, dead"... But I doubt it, most of their income is coming from sale of ILC. Nikon and Canon is not that big in MILC, and it seems like they are there just for the sake of being in it. So it's DSLR and lens bring big money. Why the hell they would ditch it? Highly unlikely to happen, I think.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac the thing that will happen gradually is Nikon DF type DSLRs ...it will me small with no shutter, electronic viewfinder...and it will fit all nikon lenses ...simple

Canon and nikon will never dich the lens mount..as people have invested lakhs of ruppes in that

raja manuel

In the zone
It is quite possible that we will see the DSLR market move towards the higher end, with MILCs taking up the entry-level space. In the long run, mirrorless will takeover even at the higher end; its advantages are too significant to be ignored.
Canon is clearly transitioning to that future, bringing PDAF to the sensor with their dual-pixel technology and working on hybrid viewfinders. Not sure what Nikon is doing; they were the first out the gate with their PDAF on sensor tech but they don't seem to have moved beyond that, at least in terms of releasing the technology to the market. Maybe they are waiting to see which way the wind blows.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
it will me small with no shutter, electronic viewfinder
You mean mechanical/physical shutter. I don't know much about this, I have heard/read that P&S does have electronic shutter and DSLRs do have a physical unit. Seems like there is an advantage of having a physical one. If they remove that, what's the loss. If it's not really anything big, we they have a practice of having one in today's DSLR. Just askin' (out of curiosity to know about it).
EVF is not suitable for all kinda photography esp. when the subject is moving fast like birding, sports...
Df may be little smaller and lighter, but not significant, I think.
It is quite possible that we will see the DSLR market move towards the higher end, with MILCs taking up the entry-level space. In the long run, mirrorless will takeover even at the higher end; its advantages are too significant to be ignored.
They made us to scratch the itch by giving affordable DSLRs. When they stop entry level DSLR, many of us would be pushed to spend more to get one. Yeah, camera like OMD can well be categorized as pro body

sujoyp

Grand Master
There are lot of mirrorless ILC in Pro segment ....OMD is not Pro its just a level till Nikon D7000 or semi pro ....Fuji,Panasonic, olympus, Sony all are making soo many options mirrorless that people have enough choice...

but the issue in India is avalibility of lens and service center...which is the reason we prefer Nikon Canon and now sony.

sujoyp

Grand Master
A little show-off :D

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/12967272553_b69b88ef94_b.jpg
500px by sujoyp, on Flickr

I just love these numbers ...donno y flickr removed the view count...it was fun.

Also last one month 6 pic made it to popular ...500px is fun then flickr now days

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You have taken a snapshot of your 500px profile and sharing the same via Flickr...:thumbs:

sujoyp

Grand Master
LOL yes coz if I share the pic in 500px it become public right way...but in flickr till I dont add to a group people cant see my pics

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You mean, 500px doesn't have an option to make it private?

sujoyp

Grand Master
500px have the option to keep it private but then how will u see the pic if its private :) there is a option in youtube called unlisted...where the pic can be seen with a link but not publicly...

but flickr is safe that way...you can not actually find a specific pic in my pics untill i share it in a group or you know me/my photostream

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If someone searches for D7000 or the tags you used, they could see your pictures. or may be when flickr shows more recent uploads or more popular photographs or something like that, people can see your picture even when they don't know your flickr id or you in their contact list or someone intentionally or unintentionally search for "sujoy".

Doesn't seems to be 500px and flickr are different in this regard or may be I don't get it. May be I will get to know that when I use 500px.

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac I dont use any tag words in my flickr pics ...donno if they will be displayed or not in search ...yaah if you sujoy as user then you may find me but if search sujoy in pics u wont find me :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Got the 5 in 1 reflector. I haven't seen or used one before, so I don't know how good or bad this is. Hmmm... To me it's above average. Price is little higher, I think. Quality of Silver and gold material is above average or comparatively good. Black and white material is kinda okish and translucent is not that good or we can call it as below average (may be that's how a translucent has to be, who know?). Size is little smaller than they claimed (Not a lot I can do about it :unsure:) But :( there is no manual in the package ;) Had to see this video to learn how to fold it compact :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
congrats...please do some experiments and show the results...I too will get one if its useful for flowers or general portraits

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I bought this with an intention for doing portrait work. Most of the time... actually all the portrait work I do are of the people I know... friend, relatives, family and I don't post their photographs online. I can only share the portraits when I can find someone who are very much ok with sharing their pictures online. If not, I can only share my experience using it in words.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Agreed with Kaz ....hire some models now ..and let us see the result of ur reflector :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Hire??? May be if someone volunteers... Someone like to volunteer?

sujoyp

Grand Master
sure sure...y not tell your friend circle that you can take awesome portraits......you want to make future in fashion photography :D and want a volunteer ;)