Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sorry for the confusion. 100D and SL1 are the same camera. Somehow the name SL1 stuck in my mind better than 100D (in fact, 100D didn't even strike my mind).

tkin

Back to school!!
Hey guys, I was thinking, I am getting offer on my FZ150 for 10k, is it worth upgrading to the FZ200 spending the extra 20k?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nope. At least I won't spend another 20k just to get constant aperture and that too on a small sensor camera.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Already you have a decent camera. If you want to buy another one, go for a DSLR. That would be a good upgrade.

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac DSLR really ??? :D he owns a superzoom with maybe 35x zoom which can take macro wideangle and telephoto all together in just 25k

geta 25k DSLR and u get a lens which neither take macro nor birds nor that much wide like FZ150 ....yes you get the picture quality

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yes.

Large sensor compact is better, but 1.7" is not that big when thinking of upgrading. Sure, RX100 is good but the it's selling at higher price than when it was launched. Probably, Sony stopped production after RX100 II and demand for RX100 is still high and the sellers taking the opportunity and asking top dollar. He can go for G1X for about 28k, but it doesn't seems to be available. And there is no other large sensor compact are far away from his budget of 25k.

He can save the money rather than spending it on another small sensor camera, so NO 1/2.3". So only other category remains is ILC and I am not a fan of mirrorless.

raja manuel

In the zone
Since you say, it can't be... Then I most likely to be wrong as I have just used it for very few min. When I get the camera, it was set in M mode, I set the mode to Av before using it. May be I could have wrongly set to some other mode and thinking that I set in Av mode :oops:

I am checking the Camera physical layout. Let's see...

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to recognize the settings I set by seeing the physical layout of the camera, but couldn't As far as I remember, I set the mode Av (or at least I was thinking that I am shooting in Av mode). For now, I assume that I am wrong and will check when I get a chance (I don't know when this gonna happen :) )
Do let us know how your tests go. I would assume that you weren't in Av because it is unlikely that Canon changed the way their modes work just for the 700D, but it would be nice to have that confirmed.
"Flash pop up only when using basic modes like Auto"
So the reason for focus didn't override AF when I adjust using focus ring could be because I was shooting in one of the basic modes, I assume.
No, the AF will override your manual focusing no matter what mode you are in unless
* You have switched the lens, using the switch on the lens barrel, to MF from AF
* You have left the lens in AF but have focussing assigned to the back button in which case shutter button will only meter and click (if you press the back button before shutter button, AF will kick in once again)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac but I will never suggest a DSLR to anyone having a tight budget... If u say I want a DSLR at 25k and will not spend anything for next 3 years ...then its better to go for anything other then ILC or interchangable lens cameras like m4/3 or DSLR ...

even if people getting 600D combo offer (18-55+55-250) try there best they may find it very very difficult to produce a good macro shot ...soo they are missing a huge part of photography itself....they will have to spend another 15-20k to get a macro lens

soo think, in 25k with just 18-55 what option we are giving a person...just wide angle and portraits ...no birding, no macro, its not even useful in a zoo ...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy, You have a valid point and I am on the other hand thinking I will keep myself engaged just with a DSLR and a prime lens.

Tkin, If you take both our suggestions, then nothing is there to buy. We have eliminated all forms of cameras :D. Sleep on it and let us know what you think. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Raja,
Yeah sure I will let you know. But I don't know when I will get the chance again to try it... :(

About the AF:
Lens was set in AF, and I was adjusting focus using focus ring, expecting that I could adjust the focus. But it didn't seem to be adjusting. This is what I asked, "Won't the lens override the focus when I manually adjusting, even if the focus mode is set to AF". And you have already explained that part in your previous post (thank you for clearing that).

One thing I am not getting is "back button focus" or just "back button". Do you mean AE/FE lock? I don't want to annoy you with the thing I don't know, and I dont even I have the equipment to check/see it. All I could do now, is check the user manual to see the physical layout of the camera and understand the things. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac even if someday u get the DSLR+single prime lens then get APSC DSLR+35mm and Full frame DSLR+50mm ....50mm on APSC is just too tight and difficult to take a full body shot or even 2 person togather.

I am sure back button focus is AF/AL button ....

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, to take full length portrait with 50mm on a Canon APSC, I would have to shoot from 5m away (approx). And it's not always possible to find that much distance to shoot a subject.

raja manuel

In the zone
One thing I am not getting is "back button focus" or just "back button". Do you mean AE/FE lock? I don't want to annoy you with the thing I don't know, and I dont even I have the equipment to check/see it. All I could do now, is check the user manual to see the physical layout of the camera and understand the things. :)
Yes, the AE/FE lock. By default it is set to exposure lock but in custom settings you can shift the auto focus trigger from the shutter button to this so that pressing the shutter button does not activate autofocus. It's a far more convenient way of using the camera, especially if you like to leave it in AI Servo like I do.

Ask whatever you want to know, and I will reply if I can. No need to worry about annoying me.

kaz

right here
How about a Nikon 55-200 mm AF-S VR? I'm getting one :D Probably will order tonight

- - - Updated - - -

No one replied :(
order placed.... :) Will I get moon shots with a 200mm lens?

sujoyp

Grand Master
kaz I am using that lens for 2.5 yrs ... its a good lens if u can use it properly ....its results are sharp and lens focus quickly

you know till 2013 diwali it was my only telephoto lens ...I uesd to do all the birding with it...and I got nice results ...its easier to take bird in flight using 55-200 then 150-500

sujoyp

Grand Master
guys I got a nice ebook on photography ..

Name - The ultimate guide to digital photography ...it seems good ...it covers a lot of topics we need to learn.

Anybody needs it ..I will send the link on PM (pirated stuff not allowed publically)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is this the one?

The Ultimate Guide to Digital Photography 4: David Fearon: 9781907232329: Amazon.com: Books

kaz

right here
Nikon 800mm f/5.6 :D

Attachments

• IMG_0529-conan.jpg
    IMG_0529-conan.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom