Budget android dilemna

kevz22

crazy techie
Hi everyone....
I am planning to buy my first android smartphone next month. But I am in a dilemna due to the numerous options available and so i needed some suggestions on what phone to buy. My budget is 7-8k and can be extended to 8.5k max. I have shortlisted some phones below:
Lg optimus me p350
samsung galaxy pop
huawei ideos
spice mi-310
Any other suggestions are welcome. I can wait upto september if the prices are going to drop or any better phones will be launched.
Is the price of Lg Optimus one going to come down anytime soon as i cant extend my budget beyond 8.5k under any circumstances. And as i have been using symbian smartphones previously how will be the android experience? I mean i have read everywhere that android is miles ahead of symbian.... So is that really true.
Please dont suggest me to increase my budget because its just impossible.

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
The longer you wait, better and cheaper phones will come. If you can wait till September, please do and ask on the eve of buying. That way, you will get the best deal.

Save some extra money till September so that you can extend your budget a little more. It would be a shame if you get a sub-par experience after spending so much money. You buy a phone once and use it for atleast a year. There should be no regrets after you've made your decision.

So, I suggest, till that time, start reading on the phones available. This forum is an excellent place to discuss.

Currently, I own an LG Optimus One (around 9k to 9.5k). In my family, we also have a Samsung Galaxy SL and iPhone 3GS.

Nothing can beat iPhone's touchscreen quality and response.

Android is very flexible. In some ways, my sub-10k Optimus One has more features than the iPhone. Wifi tethering out of the box, Divx support, syncing contacts, calender, SMS to my Google account, plug and play music and apps without 3rd party software... its awesome.

If you had to buy a phone right now, I would suggest stretch your budget to the max and get an LG Optimus One. I have seen my friend's Galaxy Fit (another 10k phone). The camera there is awesome, but screen resolution sucks. If you prefer an excellent camera but are willing to trade-off performance and screen for it, then Galaxy Fit is also a good choice...

Avoid all the cheaper phones...

Cheers!

subashj

Broken In
i heard abt samsung pop the whole finish of it feels like plastic so it doesnt feel gud....is it true..?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Pop = another cheap Android went wrong by Samsung. Galaxy 3, Galaxy 5, Pop & Fit. all these have 1 thing in common. bad or odd screen resolution. and Samsung have made this a habit now. if this trend continues, Samsung will loose their position as top mobile maker before they even take it from Nokia.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
DUMP IT. if i start to reason why one should not buy XCD28, you'll run away.

android 2.1, bad resolution, no community support, resistive screen are a few.

oh BTW if you are interested in XCD28 after watch HS18, i'll suggest stop watching the channel as a whole.

OP
K

kevz22

crazy techie
@Sam
yeah...that was precisely the reason why i asked about the dell xcd28...:D
and yeah i have stopped watching that dreaded channel long back...:D

So i guess the O1 is the only option left now.... What about the Optimus me? Is it going to get a GB upgrade?and is there any other major problem with it leaving aside the low resolution issue?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
no. LG O1 have standard HVGA resolution for that class of android mobile. entry level Galaxy series (upto fit) have the low resolution problem.

O1 will definitely get gingerbread update as another rom is leaked.

OP
K

kevz22

crazy techie
You got me wrong Sam...
I was asking about the Optimus ME not Optimus ONE....
Is there any possibility that the optimus me will get a GB upgrade in the future...
I dont care about the low resolution screen on the optimus me as its just 2.8 inches compared to the pop's 3.14inch screen. And almost all the features of O1 and O-me are same except for screen size/res.,3G speed and some pre-installed applications. So if the prices of the O1 do not come down by september i'll get the O-me...:)

OP
K

kevz22

crazy techie
Hey guys, can someone compare the samsung galaxy pop and the lg optimus me and give a conclusion on which one is better?
The optimus one is out of my budget...:(

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hey guys, can someone compare the samsung galaxy pop and the lg optimus me and give a conclusion on which one is better?
The optimus one is out of my budget...:(

both are useless. check Galaxy 3. It is available on flipkart and infibeam for some 7.5k it seems. also check Spice Mi-310

har

In the zone
You guys are being a bit too harsh on the budget androids. They are really not so bad. They are aimed at a different category of people, budget phone users who can just stretch their budget a bit. I myself bought a pop at 8k. My budget was 7.5k but I extended it a bit to buy the pop and that’s the buyers these phones aim at. They aim to give low end users a taste of android.

Of course if you have the budget then by all means buy the O1. But if not there is no harm in buying budget androids if you are short of budget to buy the O1. The budget phones like the pop are super fast and most of the essential apps do run on it. Its only the new HD game titles that don’t but I doubt whether it would run smoothly if the resolution was 480*320 anyway.

So I think if someone can just stretch their budget to a android like the pop they should because it atleast gives them the android experience !! And the QVGA screen is not so bad. I used a SE W350i for 3 years so after that my pop feels just awesome to me !! But if you can definitely buy the O1.

P.S.dont buy spice androids as they are not recognized by the android market !! Many users complain that their Mi-310s are not listed in the devices in the android market. And don’t but the Optimus Me because the pop also costs the same but the pop has a 3.2” screen opposed to the 2.8” on the Me.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
You guys are being a bit too harsh on the budget androids. They are really not so bad. They are aimed at a different category of people, budget phone users who can just stretch their budget a bit. I myself bought a pop at 8k. My budget was 7.5k but I extended it a bit to buy the pop and that’s the buyers these phones aim at. They aim to give low end users a taste of android.

Of course if you have the budget then by all means buy the O1. But if not there is no harm in buying budget androids if you are short of budget to buy the O1. The budget phones like the pop are super fast and most of the essential apps do run on it. Its only the new HD game titles that don’t but I doubt whether it would run smoothly if the resolution was 480*320 anyway.

So I think if someone can just stretch their budget to a android like the pop they should because it atleast gives them the android experience !! And the QVGA screen is not so bad. I used a SE W350i for 3 years so after that my pop feels just awesome to me !! But if you can definitely buy the O1.

P.S.dont buy spice androids as they are not recognized by the android market !! Many users complain that their Mi-310s are not listed in the devices in the android market. And don’t but the Optimus Me because the pop also costs the same but the pop has a 3.2” screen opposed to the 2.8” on the Me.

There is more to android experience than just having an OS named android running on a phone. When the manufacturers need not pay a single penny for OS license, why are they giving inferior hardware for these phones. Just go and try a phone like W:S or Defy with proper resolution and you will understand what your galaxy whatever is lacking. Look at Nokia E5. It can easily run Android and it costs some 9k. Look at the h/w and look at the design. Also, check Nokia 5230. except for S60v5, this device is superb when it comes to quality (be it display or other functionality).

It's hard to accept this but It is because of these clueless buyers, we are seeing really junk midrange droids (entire galaxy midrange and budget series, wildfire, x10 mini series etc) in the market. Had these clueless buyers gave a second though and understood what they are missing due to pathetic screens, the makers would've brought out better phones.

LG O1 is perfect example. It broke sales of Wildfire and Galaxy phones so much that HTC had to bring out W:S with proper spec and it seems that Samsung too understood a bit.

har

In the zone
Now this is a misunderstanding. The customers are not really idiots. I was fully aware of the screen res problems that my pop would cause me when I bought it. And I am OK with that. Most of the apps do work and work very well. Even angry birds work without any lag. So I am okay. I know that QVGA doesn’t do justice to Android. But in todays scenario even the 480*320 screen doesn’t do justice to it. Just look at the screen res of the galaxy s2.

I am just talking about best bang for the buck. Pop is available at 8k. O1 at 9.5k. The only cheaper option is the nokia 5233 but the resistive screen was just too bad to use. And believe me I know what I am missing. I had used my cousins HTC desire for a week when he came to stay with us. He says my pops screen is very bad. But then when my uncle for the US who owns an iPhone 4 came, he said the desires screen was too bad even to look at.

Every 2k-3k difference gets you a better phone. Pop is available at 8k, O1 at 9.5k, Ace at 12k, defy at 14k and so on. And the latest HD games from gameloft doesn’t run smoothly on the O1 even though it supports its screen resolution. And though HTC released the wildfire S it costs 13k so its no big deal.

So don’t think that the customers who bought the budget androids are idiots. The guys who bought the defy will think the o1 guys are idiots because they could have spend just 3k more and get the defy. The guys who have the Nexus S at 19k will think the same of the defy guys and so on…..

And in todays hardware scenario, even the O1 is outdated.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ I couldn't control myself from posting here.

@har
Well what desiibond said and what you wrote, both are valid from one's own perspective, but the truth is "you get what you pay for". I bought Galaxy SL and it was good for me, till i saw the S2 and now i feel pissed off. It is nature.

But what desiibind suggested is, you should not buy entry-level-android because it is ANDROID. It will ruin your experience and leave a bitter opinion on Android. Some n00b user's curse ANDROID because it is slow in his Galaxy Pop, they never knew that the hardware is not good enough to run an app they just installed. So obviously that n00b will be a ANDROID hater. I guess, this is what desiibond wanted to say.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Now this is a misunderstanding. The customers are not really idiots. I was fully aware of the screen res problems that my pop would cause me when I bought it. And I am OK with that. Most of the apps do work and work very well. Even angry birds work without any lag. So I am okay. I know that QVGA doesn’t do justice to Android. But in todays scenario even the 480*320 screen doesn’t do justice to it. Just look at the screen res of the galaxy s2.

I am just talking about best bang for the buck. Pop is available at 8k. O1 at 9.5k. The only cheaper option is the nokia 5233 but the resistive screen was just too bad to use. And believe me I know what I am missing. I had used my cousins HTC desire for a week when he came to stay with us. He says my pops screen is very bad. But then when my uncle for the US who owns an iPhone 4 came, he said the desires screen was too bad even to look at.

Every 2k-3k difference gets you a better phone. Pop is available at 8k, O1 at 9.5k, Ace at 12k, defy at 14k and so on. And the latest HD games from gameloft doesn’t run smoothly on the O1 even though it supports its screen resolution. And though HTC released the wildfire S it costs 13k so its no big deal.

So don’t think that the customers who bought the budget androids are idiots. The guys who bought the defy will think the o1 guys are idiots because they could have spend just 3k more and get the defy. The guys who have the Nexus S at 19k will think the same of the defy guys and so on…..

And in todays hardware scenario, even the O1 is outdated.

Most buyers have no clue about what kind of phone they are buying. Go to any mobile shop and see how people are buying Wave 525 in droves because they think its a cheap iphone... It is very sad.

People recommend Optimus One, not just for its screen resolution, but its overall performance and feature set is excellent. Screen is important, but overall package is more important.

With the Optimus One, you get awesome developer support.. most people buy it for that reason. Secondly, it has decent screen resolution. Processor can be overclocked easily and safely... It has 512 MB RAM... which is awesome... add to it 1500 mAh battery... all that for 9k... the overall package is awesome...

If it was just the screen resolution, anyone could have bought the Dell XCD35 for 9.5k which has a 800x480 WVGA 3.5" screen. But no one recommends that phone... because it has a smaller battery (1250 mAh) and lower RAM. Also, for such a high res display, processing power is inadequate.

So, the best VFM goes to Optimus One for good overall balance...

I am glad that you are happy with POP.

Top Bottom