BSNL Broadband to offer minimum Internet Speed as '2Mbps'

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
Can anybody throw some light on how Spectranet is able to provide no FUP connections with 20mbps & 50mbps down speeds at nominal rates 1249/- and 1849/- respectively per month. Pings are sub 10ms.
They are making less profit?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Can anybody throw some light on how Spectranet is able to provide no FUP connections with 20mbps & 50mbps down speeds at nominal rates 1249/- and 1849/- respectively per month. Pings are sub 10ms.
Lower profits compared to ISPs who rip people off, low to nil corruption rate and better efficient employees. Also lower maintenance cost could be a factor. ISPs like BSNL and Airtel largely use their old telephone lines which were laid probably 15-20 years ago along with the outdated connection management system which isn't comparable to recent tech. I've been inside the room where they connect all the cables, only readable part of manufacturing date on the machines was 1998 (or maybe 1999) :|

Last edited:
They are making less profit?

All I know is that they are increasing speeds and removing FUPs and lowering the prices over time.
Earlier the speeds were 16mbps, 80gB FUB, 2mbps post FUP.

And even if they are making any profits, then what humongous profit is BSNL making?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
All I know is that they are increasing speeds and removing FUPs and lowering the prices over time.

And even if they are making any profits, then what humongous profit is BSNL making?

Whatever profits BSNL makes, that is being used to give salaries to lazy employees and do maintenance work for age old systems. They, being a government company, don't give a rat's ass about customer's satisfaction.

On a side note, average netizen in India doesn't goes beyond social networking, youtube and some emails. Since majority gets satisfied with those crap plans or don't have any other alternative ISP, companies like BSNL, Airtel take advantage of the situation.

It was Airtel which started this FUP crap back in 2011. (How Airtel Defines Unlimited - MediaNama)

tkin

Back to school!!

The same reason Xiaomi sells high end phones for mid range prices. These small isp are new players. They don't have the brand value or the customer base to be really profitable like the way airtel sure. Hence the low prices. Believe me, if they had the option they would price their plans just like bsnl or airtel, but that won't get them the customers. Competition is good for us

^
I would be pretty quick to ditch Spectranet the day they introduce FUP or increase prices or in any way decrease the value of plans.
I don't think they would take this kind of step back.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then it will result in Oligopoly. Ever wonder why Vodafone and Airtel data plans mimic each other very closely.
because both spent around same for the spectrum in recent 3g auctions.vodafone & airtel are not making huge profits & you can know this by simply following their their share prices vis-a-vis rest of the market.about oligopoly,even if 1 pvt player comes up in each city to rent bsnl network to provide services we are talking about at least hundreds of players.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
10Mbps should be the minimum speed for broadband, research suggests | Digit.in

I second this article. Plus there should be no FUP.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
10Mbps should be the minimum speed for broadband, research suggests | Digit.in

I second this article. Plus there should be no FUP.

Why doesn't the article say anything about FUP limits? It should be atleast 10Mbps and 100GB data for less than 1K INR.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a better report from akamai State of the Internet Report Q1 2015

*s19.postimg.org/mr7o6psgz/soti_q1_2015.png

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ Mean value =/= mode value some times.
2.3 mbps is the average probably because of NIB connecting various institutes, Beam, ACT, spectranet and the likes. BSNL/craptel don't contribute much to that.

funskar

Padawan
Just keep in mind.. biggest enemy of consumers = airtel
voice call,voip,internet ..
They f*****g retards implents technique to earn huge profits after which all the other company's start following.
I pray to god one day this airtel go to hell

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
*www.digit.in/forum/technology-news...band-plans-india-post1217015.html#post1217015

My as.s. Not even in the next 5 years will a 24Mbps connection be "somewhat" affordable in India. You can expect 8Mbps to be a bit more common though. If I'm not being overly cynical, then 2011 should see widespread usage (note the emphasis) of 2Mbps lines across all ISPs in India.

True unlimited 2 mbps pan India plans are still a dream.

*www.digit.in/forum/technology-news/125235-airtel-unleashes-4-mbps-unlimited-broadband-rs-899-a.html

with a 6GB cap, the plan is very non inviting. MTNL 512kbps unlimited @ 599 bucks is a much better deal.

The speeds remained same for BSNL while plan rates increased :mad:

Just keep in mind.. biggest enemy of consumers = airtel
voice call,voip,internet ..
They f*****g retards implents technique to earn huge profits after which all the other company's start following.
I pray to god one day this airtel go to hell

Its kind of funny but a friend of mine got pretty annoyed with Airtel and their crappy FUP'd internet.
He happens to have an Airtel Store very close by, he now enjoys airtel 4g unlimited with great speeds (20+mbps DL and 4+mbps UL). Those demo Redmi phones FTW.

Last edited:

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
guys its india, you wont get good affordable internet infrastructure here, if you want good one better migrate outside.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its kind of funny but a friend of mine got pretty annoyed with Airtel and their crappy FUP'd internet.
He happens to have an Airtel Store very close by, he now enjoys airtel 4g unlimited with great speeds (20+mbps DL and 4+mbps UL). Those demo Redmi phones FTW.

Can you elaborate a little ? ;)

Flash

Lost in speed
Atleast someone who voiced out right with an article.

techradar said:
But here's the thing with BSNL's announcement. You get 2Mbps speed but only till your data-limit is not breached. In simple words, fair usage policy (FUP) the biggest detrimental to our internet package is here to ruin our day yet again.

Once you've exhausted your data pack, the speed reverts back to 512Kbps much to our disappointment. In many ways, BSNL has repeated history of being unclear with its proposition by stating the promise of aforementioned speeds (minimum) and totally skipped the part wherein FUP usage will bring you back to ground, in terms of speed.

This isn't the first time when BSNL has tried misleading its consumers, as communication on their part has more or less been found to be different in reality. It seems they haven't learned from their mistakes in the past, after all.

BSNL?s 2Mbps internet speed promise is anything but true! - Techradar India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom