Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I read digital fortress and thought 'what the heck is rotating ciphertext/cleartext?' (don't remember which was it). That is not how encryption works.
Digital Fortress ? Stranger Than Fiction | Armin Ronacher's Thoughts and Writings

That's called extreme bashing. Even I can encounter his bash with another one.

For god sake, the novel was not a "lecture" on cryptography; it was a novel goddamit. :|

And calling it crap was like...(no words).

Inceptionist

Journeyman
Each to his own I guess.

But I was unable to buy all the stuff that was going on. Suspension of disbelief worked in his other novels such as Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code. Here, not so much.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Mythology of India.
Myths and Legends of India, Tibet and Sri Lanka.
by Rachel Storm

Glossary - Dictionary of all mythical things in the sub continent. Each entry gives a historical time line of the beliefs associated. It traces beliefs in time and space. Indians seem to accept and believe a wide spectrum of often conflicting gods, philosophies and ideas about how the world works. then a lot of these myths and beliefs spread all the way to china, japan, asia pacific and beyond. It's a no-nonsense approach and a fresh perspective. It's also small, and has images.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Mythology of India.
Myths and Legends of India, Tibet and Sri Lanka.
by Rachel Storm

Glossary - Dictionary of all mythical things in the sub continent. Each entry gives a historical time line of the beliefs associated. It traces beliefs in time and space. Indians seem to accept and believe a wide spectrum of often conflicting gods, philosophies and ideas about how the world works. then a lot of these myths and beliefs spread all the way to china, japan, asia pacific and beyond. It's a no-nonsense approach and a fresh perspective. It's also small, and has images.

Its like telling "Ship of Theseus" has item song! :p

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Read an amazing book To Sir With Love
The author claims it to be a autobiographical novel. The book in that case is a memoir of miracle.

Must read for everyone.
*1.bp.blogspot.com/--zxRWd-ac_Q/TrUFaaDbGrI/AAAAAAAAAUE/xdhfTVL0i-w/s1600/to-sir-with-love-web.JPG

Flash

Lost in speed
Started reading this..

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg/200px-The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^that guy came up with concept of meme. blind watchmaker, river out of eden, the selfish gene are all good reads.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Finished Man's Search for Meaning

Adds a cool new perspective.

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Between 1942 and 1945 Frankl labored in four different camps, including Auschwitz, while his parents, brother, and pregnant wife perished. Based on his own experience and the experiences of others he treated later in his practice, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward with renewed purpose. Frankl's theory-known as logotherapy, from the Greek word logos ("meaning")-holds that our primary drive in life is not pleasure, as Freud maintained, but the discovery and pursuit of what we personally find meaningful.

Chetan1991

Youngling
Is game of thrones worth reading?

It's a great high fiction series.
I stopped reading it because the show mirrors the books, sometimes to every single dialogue. Reading ahead of the show would have spoiled it, so I stopped. I recommend you see the show. Its awesome, although maybe not with family, as it contains too many filler sexual scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

"1984" by George Orwell.
He wrote of a controlling regime which was quite similar to modern day North Korea, with the rulers dictating the reality and even history (by rewriting the books,) or if you are in a hurry, watch it's summary on Thug Notes. Google it. It's a must watch.

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Is game of thrones worth reading?

yes it is.
there are some details that are difference in the book than the tv show.
plus scenes/plots/story are more detailed in the book(you'll know more of the background story).
Give it a read, you'll love it.

D

Deleted member 118788

Started reading

*astripedarmchair.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/the-murder-of-roger-ackroyd.jpg

The Narrator was the murderer himself. I felt a bit cheated but there are no limits in the fictional world.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 118788

Completed Agatha Christie: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. One of the best crime novel ever made and must read for every fiction lover.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Started Flatland and The Last Lecture

Flatland is kind of tough to get into. But yeah, pretty clever satirical history in two dimension.

The last lecture, looking forward to complete it by tomorrow. Pretty good read.

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
Re: Novels recommended by Digitians

completed "dance with dragons", now I've ordered God delusion.

Top Bottom