Best Config within 20K

Hi Guys, i am looking for a PC for my sister. She is studying in SYJC right now and i was looking for something that would be be sufficient enough till her graduation.

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Surfing, Movies, Music, MS Office, etc

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Sure

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 20K + 3K for printer (HP Deskjet)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: ????

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win XP or Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 18" Flat screen

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 1

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Within a month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: sure i mean she is not tech savvy or need of Hi-Tech upgrades, just that the configuration should be good enough for next 3-4 years

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: ????

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Kolkata

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I also need a printer, scanner, copier (all in one)

This is what i had in mind

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.9 Ghz
- << dont know what motherboard to use >> Intel i guess ?
- Seagate 500 Gb SATA
- 3 Gb RAM -Transcend ?
- Samsung 18" flat screen
- LG DVD RW
- Keyboard + Mouse
- Cabinet
- Creative 2.1

not sure if the above would fit in the budget.

Do let me know your view guys !

Piyush

Lanaya
what about this:

AMD athlon II x3 435 @ 3.3k
gigabyte 785g based motherboard @3.5k
Kingston 2gb ddr3 1333mhz ram @ 1.1k
WD 500gb blue @ 1.7k
lg dvd r/rw @ .9k
samsung 18.5" lcd @ 5.2k
Cooler master elite 310 cabinet @ 1.5k
FSP saga 400W/500W @ 1.8k/2.1k whichever available
creative 2.1 (dunno the price)
logitech mouse kb combo @ .5k

OP
C

cooldash87

Creative i guess is somewhr around 2.5K

are AMD good for long run ? i heard a lot of stories about the heating issues.

Also i thought seagate HDD were the best. I had a portable WD drive and had hard time with its service.

Its just that i really dont want to take risks on the most critical components like CPU, MBD and HDD.

Never heard of FSP saga. Which company is that ?

Piyush

Lanaya
AMD stories are dead long time back
you can blindly rely on them....many users are satisfied with it(eg. TDF members)

yes you can go for seagate..no problem.....but WD are known for their good services...anyways

FSP is a good brand
you wont be having any problems with it

Cilus

laborare est orare
cooldash87, AMD is the only option at your budget and the stories of the heating issues are from long long time back. There is no such problem at all.

As you said your HW knowledge is 1, then I think for you SMPS or PSU means nothing, its something which comes inbuilt inside the cabinet. Even most of the knowledgeable persons normally go with local brand SMPS like Frontech, Intex which cost hardly 400 to 600 bucks.

Well for long run a good SMPS is very much required as it provides power to all the components and getting a good quality SMPS actually increase the service life of all the components.

FSP Saga is a very good, well trusted and well proven band. A lot of forum members are using it. But I don't think it is available in Kolkata. Probably u have to purchase it Online.

OP
C

cooldash87

thanks guys. And yes you are right SMPS for me is just something that is attached and comes with the cabinet. Wont that be good enough for the kind of config i am looking out for ? If it is indeed important for AMD processors i can ask for it to the assembler.

Just wanted to know as for the processor as you guys mentioned AMD athlon II x3 435 is it durable for 3-4 years ? plus just wanted to know if this is not something which is dated and readily available with the local vendors.

Also with AMD athlon processor should i be using XP or Windows 7 and 32 bit or 64 bit ??

Sorry guys, the questions may sound stupid :(

Piyush

Lanaya
no questions are stupid....

and x3 435 has advantage over core 2 duo
and if you can arrange 64bit ,then its good
32 bit wont coz any problems either

OP
C

cooldash87

^^ thanks piyush ! Just edited my question from performance to durability for AMD processors.

Also wanted to know if the FSP saga is a MUST have or the normal ones attached to cabinets are good to go ? Mainly coz it may not be available in kolkata. Any other alternative ?

Piyush

Lanaya
look bro even if you go for the default PSUs, you wont find any major difference
the thing is the efficiency of PSUs starts dropping after a year or so (not so with good rated PSUs though)
that may create a problem in future
so its better to be safe than sorry

and in case you are unable to find any FSP PSU, then you can go for Corsair CX 400W, Gigabyte 460W

and AMD processors are durable
you can count on that

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Component | Make | Price Processor |Athlon ii x3 440|3400
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H|3400
RAM |Corsair value 2GB|1100
HDD |Seagate/WD |1700
ODD |LG/Samsung|900
Case |CM Elite 310|1500
PSU |FSP Saga ii 350|1400
KB & Mouse |Logitech MK100|500
Monitor |Dell IN1920|5300
Speakers |Creative A235|1000
Total ||20200

mitraark

Decrepit
Component | Make | Price Processor |Athlon II X3 440|3400
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H|3400
RAM |Corsair value 2GB|1100
HDD |Seagate 1TB |2400
ODD |Sony|900
Case |Zebronics Bijli [ With PSU ]|1500
KB & Mouse |Logitech |600
Monitor |Samsung B2030|5600
Speakers |Altec Lansing BXR1221 [ Looks good ]|1000
Total ||19900

saswat23

Human Spambot
Plz confirm the price of B2030 again. Also for a 20'' DELL IN2020M is the best u can get. Its a HD LED mnitor. Look for it too.
But at 5.6k B2030 is a very good choice indeed.

Top Bottom