Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgame2

Padawan
Yeah, i find anandtech and xbitlabs' reviews to be far more indepth than most of the other reviewing sites out there. Speaking of reviews and such, there was a pretty good article at anandtech recently. Must read for everyone i feel.

Debunking Power Supply Myths

thanks for the good eye-opener post ...:)

imgame2

Padawan
Can you please do brief in detail, whats the reason.

in DDR memory ..its actually the I/O buffer frequency that gets doubled ..while where for DDR (PC3200 ,working at 400MHz) has I/O buffer frequency of 200 MHz ( maximum for DDR )...DDR2 started where DDR1 left off giving u I/O buffer frequency of 266MHz,333 MHz and 400MHZ or higher ......now since DDR is double data rate (means it can transfer Data both during the rise of clock cycle and fall of it ) operates at a frequency which is twice of the I/O buffer frequency ...so we get operating frequency of DDR2 like this

I/O buffer frequencyx2 = operating frequency (data transmission frequency).

200 MHz x 2 = 400 MHz for DDR1 and DDR2 400MHz RAM
266MHz x 2 = 533 MHz DDR2
333MHz x 2 = 667 MHz DDR2
400 MHz x 2 = 800 MHz DDR2

CPU-z always measure this I/O buffer frequency as its more basic memory parameter depending upon SDRAM,DDR it can multiplied accordingly ...the DDR3 memory has I/O buffer frequency of 533MHz,667Mhz and 800MHz ...which is again multipled by 2 to get actual data transmission ...

clearly the more data u can transfer in a second the more bandwidth u have ...

i hope i have explained it clearly ....there are some tech jargon ..but i felt it difficult to explain without them ..i m sorry for that ...

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
in DDR memory ..its actually the I/O buffer frequency that gets doubled ..while where for DDR (PC3200 ,working at 400MHz) has I/O buffer frequency of 200 MHz ( maximum for DDR )...DDR2 started where DDR1 left off giving u I/O buffer frequency of 266MHz,333 MHz and 400MHZ or higher ......now since DDR is double data rate (means it can transfer Data both during the rise of clock cycle and fall of it ) operates at a frequency which is twice of the I/O buffer frequency ...so we get operating frequency of DDR2 like this

CPU-z always measure this I/O buffer frequency as its more basic memory parameter depending upon SDRAM,DDR it can multiplied accordingly ...the DDR3 memory has I/O buffer frequency of 533MHz,667Mhz and 800MHz ...which is again multipled by 2 to get actual data transmission ...

i hope i have explained it clearly ....there are some tech jargon ..but i felt it difficult to explain without them ..i m sorry for that ...

I also had some doubts regarding this......... thanks :). You saved my time otherwise I would have to Google it up :).

acewin

Point Blanc
@KPower I think ingame also mentioned this RAM infor in a thread day before yesterday.

For TechHunter
Yes i need a monitor also.

Below is the config that i came up with the suggestions you guys have provided.

Intel C2D E7200 - @5475
MSI P35 Neo-F - @4850
[ MSI P45 Neo-F 5850 - I am not planning for OCing, even if i do it's only going to be a mild one. Considering this will i be having any advantage on going for P45 instead of P35 @Rs.1000 extra ]

I forgot your budget though, for monitor if you can get Dell 198FP locally then buy it or place an order online. DVI port option is better than VGA coming in Samsung.
E7200 as all said stick to it and for all parts try bargaining in the market as much you can get. I do not know where you are from you never mentioned it.

Mobo option is good as I think you wanna cover things in your budget.
MSI P35 Neo Combo gives option of going for DDR2 now and DDR3 later, but max of 4GB, not 4GB DDR2 + 4GB DDR3 IMO.
for others, Guys what do you say 8GB DDR2 will beat 4GB DDR3 or not the max FSB supported by the mobo is 1066 for DDR3, and 800 FSB for DDR2
If that be I think Palit P35A can also be considered,
TechHunter whenther you want or not these boards will help you OC if you later want, intel chipsets are good for OC(not intel original boards)

Palit 8500GT 1GB DDR2 PCI - @3800
[ Below 2 other models are Rs.1000 higher of each other.
8600GT 1GB DDR2 PCI 4850
HD 3850 512MB DDR3 256Bit 5825
Considering value for money, how will you rate them against 8500.
Having a video ram of 1GB will this have any advantage in comparision with
HD model with 512 MB? Please share your thoughts.]

Try searching for gfx cards from XpertVision, day before yesterday I saw in SP Road they are selling cards from them, Palit and XpertVision are same company just the production plant is different. Giving you a little overhead of pricing Lynx-India Site(XpertVision Cards)

New cards prices is also low even 9500GT is better than old 8600GT so do not think about 8x series cards, max you can think of from old is HD3850 or 256MB DDR3 8600GT in 3K, Lynx-India quotes price for HD3850 around 5K and 9600GT to 5.5K. In Bangalore you can get these in almost same price adding 4%Tax
quantity of memory(1GB) just helps if you want more more likes in rendering from CAD apps like Maya and 3D Max or if you wanna use multiple monitors
In general speaking we would suggest faster and better(quality than quantity) because we in general would not go for more than 2 monitors(that too very less people do that, generally in offices only)
so get DDR3 graphic RAM in 8600GT(3K) or HD3850(in 5-6K) 9600GT(5.5-6.5K)
or even you can think of 9500GT, but recommendations would be of increase your amount to 1K and get 3-4 times better HD3850 or 9600GT

Transcend DDR2 2 * 2 GB 800 Mhz - @3800

WD Caviar 640GB - @3900

CM EP 600W PSU - @3350
[ I have no idea about PSUs, so please ignore me if this question seem silly :oops::
Will i be really needing a 640 W PSU when i am planning on normal setup and no OCing ?]

CM Elite 330 cabinet - @1850
LG H55n optical drive - @1500
Altec Lansing BXR1121 - @1125
Logitech kbd+mouse - @1350
Samsung - LCD - 17 '' 732N - @8850

if you can assemble the system on your own will be good if search best price for each individual parts otherwise mobo+proccy+ cabinet at the same place, because fixing rest of them is not tough.

For monitor I said already the price and try getting 19 inch than 17 inch
Loitech combo I think is the G1 gaming combo because that is what is in 1.3K
for PSU you can think of Corsair 450VX or CM 600 both have same power output.

@everyone who can answer me
coming to burner 1.5K for LG what good is this burner that everyone is recommending this. I ask for 2 question, first in TATA Star Bazzar this is available and another external burner(which would mean cased) if same specs or a cased H55N is in 2.1K, when I asked this 3 months back noone answered me and I bought Asus burner instead and am using the case I had. This could have been better than buying a case.

I still think burners from Sony and Asus are better if buying IDE or Samsung if buying SATA

channabasanna

In the zone

Thanks ingame2 for the detailed data.
So is this the reason that 800MHz DDR2 RAM frequency is displayed as 400MHz in PC Wizard and CPU-Z.

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi All,

Why is the RAM Frequency being shown as 400MHz while it is 800MHz. In both CPU-Z and PC Wizard.

While when entering to BIOS i can see the BIOS displaying my RAM frequency as 800MHz.

The Rig is in my signature.
Remove the CMOS clear jumper and clear the CMOS memory, sometimes work for Intel Mobos.

blackbird

Journeyman
Thank you very much Guys now that is truly Help full and too the point i am 90% clear but still

XFX MG-630I-7109 - Rs.3,487 (Plus a GFX)
MSI P45 Neo-F - Rs.6,442 (Plus a GFX)
Palit P35A - Rs.4,436

xfx = *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=1150
MSI P45 Neo-F = *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=2364
Palit = *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=1253

1) There are four models of xfx (as per XFX website)
Link = *www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/6series/630.aspx

nForce® 630iMG-630I-7109
nForce® 630iMG-63MI-7109
nForce® 630iMG-63MI-7159
nForce® 630iMG-630I-7159

in this some include ddr3 and some include DVI port and also VIDEO out which one should i buy ? I think only XFX MG-630I-7109 is available and also MG-630i-7159 is available *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=760 havent seen the 63MI version on indian websites.

2) Can u clarify this image *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=1150 XFX MG-630I-7109 if u take a closer look at the image (motherboard sideports) You will notice that it consist of DVI PORT, video out port, firewire (if i am not wrong) do u think i will get this ? I think there is some error in image what you think ? It state as XFX MG-630I-7109

Same think on lynx India
MG-630i-7109 - *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=758
MG-630i-7159 - *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=759
Does it really include DVI and Video out Port i am asking this because it will save a big buck on 3D card or Afterward i can expand.

3)Reference to *www.techshop.in/ (comparing xfx and msi)
a) Does Msi P45 NEO-F include SATA RAID ?
b) MSI P45 - PCI Express x16 2.0 1 - XFX - PCI Express x16 1
This 2.0 is really imp i think in the sense of uprading and ATI crossfire but i do not see special use of it in both boards. Any example for 2.0 usages ? advantage
c) Form Factor - xfx Micro atx - MSI P45 ATX
d) MSI DDR2 1066 XFX - DDR2 800
e) MSI FSB 1600/1333MHz - XFX FSB - 1333MHz
f) Memory 16GB - 4GB

Any more Distinguish in between point ?

4) Can you suggest a Min config Graphic card which consist Video Out + DVI port + Svideo and if possible a Video in :).. It should and must not cross 2k MAX MAX MAX (i want inside 1.2k) KAM CHALAU

Note : I really do not see anything special in Palit 35A motherboard. Might be Intel chipset is the difference ?

Last edited:

channabasanna

In the zone
[offtopic] You have such a good PC then why waste its power with a cr@ppy 7600GS :confused:

I dont feel it crappy yet. I am Happy with its performance. Till now i have not played the games in very high detail. So it works fine for me. Also i had brought this card just 2 years ago. So will wait some more time, as i have just spent almost 40k in buying my new RIG. last month itself i updated to the new cooler. So will wait for some more time, untill i feel i cant play the newer Games smoothly.

Crysis i could play nicely without any issues, in my old rig (P4 2.66GHZ, D101GGC Board) and this card. Haven tried it yet in this machine.

imgame2

Padawan
XFX MG-630I-7109 - Rs.3,487 (Plus a GFX)
MSI P45 Neo-F - Rs.6,442 (Plus a GFX)
Palit P35A - Rs.4,436

out of these MSI P45 neo-F > palit P35 A > XFX 630...

if u want max performance and VFM mobo go for MSI ...and why techshop.in ...?? why not itwares its available for 6k there with shipping ....

nForce® 630iMG-630I-7109
nForce® 630iMG-63MI-7109
nForce® 630iMG-63MI-7159
nForce® 630iMG-630I-7159

in this some include ddr3 and some include DVI port and also VIDEO out which one should i buy ? I think only XFX MG-630I-7109 is available and also MG-630i-7159 is available *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=760 havent seen the 63MI version on indian websites.
out of these don't go forDDR3 model DDR3 RAM modules are simple very costly around 4.5 to 5k for 2Gb AFAIK...and i don't think this chipset can effectively use the power of DDR3 ...

out of the above go for nForce® 630iMG-630I-7109 ...cos it has SPDIF output which is imp if u plan to add a 5.1 speakers ...DVI port may not be important if u are buying a gfx card ...which u must ..so don't look for DVI and video out ..better look for those on gfx card u choose..
2) Can u clarify this image *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=1150 XFX MG-630I-7109 if u take a closer look at the image (motherboard sideports) You will notice that it consist of DVI PORT, video out port, firewire (if i am not wrong) do u think i will get this ? I think there is some error in image what you think ? It state as XFX MG-630I-7109

Same think on lynx India
MG-630i-7109 - *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=758
MG-630i-7159 - *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=759
Does it really include DVI and Video out Port i am asking this because it will save a big buck on 3D card or Afterward i can expand.
never look at the picture on those site and decide ....always look at the specification
none of the borads have firewire ports ...and i don't think u will save BIG buck on 3d card ..as already this is cheapest 3k board and even the most basic cheapest graphics card comes with DVI port ...

frankly i don't understand u choosing between three mobo rangeing from 3k to 6k ..this mobo is only basic ...can never give u performance of P35/P45 chipsets ..if u can buy P45 i would suggest strongly go for that ...

a) Does Msi P45 NEO-F include SATA RAID ?
first there is no compairision between 630i chipset they are like chalk and cheese ...
offcourse MSI P45 supports anything new that has to offer ...and what do u mean by include SATA RAID ..?

b) MSI P45 - PCI Express x16 2.0 1 - XFX - PCI Express x16 1
This 2.0 is really imp i think in the sense of uprading and ATI crossfire but i do not see special use of it in both boards. Any example for 2.0 usages ? advantage
no PCIex 2.0 is new standard for graphics card expansion ..which gives u more bandwidth ..but in present games it may onlygive u about 5% more performance ..i feel coming games might use the total bandwidth efficiently and give u considerably better performance than its PCIe 1.1 or PCIe 1.0 counterparts.....thats only required if are into games and PCIe 2.0 can give u more performance ..thats all ...

its special for gamers ...for instance i would love to see my crysis FPS go by 2~3 fps :)

c) Form Factor - xfx Micro atx - MSI P45 ATX
it is simply size of the board ...MSI will have big standard board while XFX board will be smaller ..nothing to worry about there unless u want to put gfx card like 9800gtx...

d) MSI DDR2 1066 XFX - DDR2 800
it means MSI can support DDR2 1066 MHz RAM sticks and thus giving u more memory bandwidth and performance ...while xfx can only support max of DDR2 800 MHz

e) MSI FSB 1600/1333MHz - XFX FSB - 1333MHz
basically tell u what FSB processors are supported ..new intel processors have FSB upto 1600 MHz which will be supported on MSI and not xfx...
but if u are going for processor with 1033 FSB ..u don't have to worry about ...like E7200...

f) Memory 16GB - 4GB
MSI supports maximum of 16 Gb of RAM ..while xfx supports 4 Gb

Any more Distinguish in between point ?
well a hell lot more ..P45 chipset and 630i is the most prominent distinguishing point!obviously P45 chipset will need a gfx card !

4) Can you suggest a Min config Graphic card which consist Video Out + DVI port + Svideo and if possible a Video in :).. It should and must not cross 2k MAX MAX MAX (i want inside 1.2k) KAM CHALAU
7200 gs for 1.2k is total kaam chalu ...or 8400gs for 1.8k a little better ...but has everything u need ...

Note : I really do not see anything special in Palit 35A motherboard. Might be Intel chipset is the difference ?
actually if u look at any mobo u won't see much different there is chipset there are capacitors and CPU slot,RAM slot ..so please don't go by seeing it ..palit P35A is P35 chipset which is obviously hell lot better than 630i chipset performance wise ...and obviously P45 chipset is little more better than P35 chipset ....

acewin

Point Blanc
yes it would be SATA raid only, I think.
ingame, I think he means he can do RAID HDDs using sata with that board or not.

I do not think RAID would be feasible on IDE HDDs. there arent that many IDE slots available.

blackbird

Journeyman
Thx for detailed explanation imgame2
thx for replying Acewin

1)I actually Mean SATA RAID feature i mean if i want to have a Mirror Back of Other harddisk. You know clone copy. So sata support in that. Many Motherboard come with it. But just incase i was asking abt it... (e.g XFX MG-630I-7109 support SATA RAID - 0/1/0+1/5 )
And it is really Not Related to IDE in any concern

2) So i think the Best I could get is MSI P45 now that is fixed i think so which RAM should i buy if it is not that necessary than it is okay to omit this point. DDR2 800 Which company/brand (e.g Tranced, kingston, ocz etc)

3)"""7200 gs for 1.2k is total kaam chalu ...or 8400gs for 1.8k """
Are this both PCI-E interfaced ? Which Company/brand U where referring too ? (e.g asus, msi, evga, palit, xfx etc)

4) I would like to also have a Amd Mobo Config Under 5.5k As per the same above specification. Or any good which u can refer. Just in case i lack fund and i have to settle down with AMD full featured. Please do include 2-3 Varieties.... Is 790fx or 790g is better than 780g ? Please name a Brand of Mobo and it version (e.g GA-MA78-S2H, ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI etc )

Now i cross my fingers because everything depends on Availability!!!!
That is it i think this might be my final decision making Process.

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
Thx for detailed explanation imgame2
ur welcome :)
1)I actually Mean SATA RAID feature i mean if i want to have a Mirror Back of Other harddisk. You know clone copy. So sata support in that. Many Motherboard come with it. But just incase i was asking abt it... (e.g XFX MG-630I-7109 support SATA RAID - 0/1/0+1/5 )
And it is really Not Related to IDE in any concern
oh thats pretty basic stuff now and almost all the chipset supports it ...intel has some interesting solution called The Intel® Matrix Storage Solution it lets to configure ur SATA drive as RAID of ur choice and in addition to that can do many things ...630i is inferior chipset in all comparisons ..

2) So i think the Best I could get is MSI P45 now that is fixed i think so which RAM should i buy if it is not that necessary than it is okay to omit this point. DDR2 800 Which company/brand (e.g Tranced, kingston, ocz etc)
again decided by the money u have ...

corsair>OCZ=gskill >kingston > transcend .....

and memory from corsairs,OCZ,Gskil are costly ...so if u want basic atleast get kingston or transcend DDR2 800MHz

3)"""7200 gs for 1.2k is total kaam chalu ...or 8400gs for 1.8k """
Are this both PCI-E interfaced ? Which Company/brand U where referring too ? (e.g asus, msi, evga, palit, xfx etc)
offcourse they are PCIex ....AGP days are long over and u will not get AGP cards at that price ...they are much more costly ...

all the companies almost cost the same ...usually cards from ASUS,MSI and EVGA are costly ..and if u find one they will cost 700~800 rupees more ...thats the case atleast at my place ..

the brands i m talking about are XFX,Palit and Point of View ..they all cost almost the same ..may be 50~100/- more or less ...

4) I would like to also have a Amd Mobo Config Under 5.5k As per the same above specification. Or any good which u can refer. Just in case i lack fund and i have to settle down with AMD full featured. Please do include 2-3 Varieties.... Is 790fx or 790g is better than 780g ? Please name a Brand of Mobo and it version (e.g GA-MA78-S2H, ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI etc )
i m not AMD person ..but any AMD config u come up with ..will be inferiour to E7200 + MSI P45/ palit P35A ...or may with be with 630i chipset ..performance wise ...but i guess u are more interested in better mobo than better CPU so its ur call ...

Now i cross my fingers because everything depends on Availability!!!!
That is it i think this might be my final decision making Process.
thats why i said before ...may be not to u ..but to many people ..that it is wrong approach ...first find out what is available to u ..and then decide from them ..rather first decide from fancy US website and at the end finding out that ..it is not available in india ....or the place u are buying it ....

the least u can do is look for the stuff from online websites like lynx and itwares so that u can be sure ..that atleast u can get that stuff online if not at ur place...

after all these discussions what is the point if u don't get what u were looking for :confused:

blackbird

Journeyman
Lol very true but we have Master Contact List which can provide us dealer...
Few days ago i had some trouble getting GA-MA78 s2h
It released 2 month ago and even after that period it was not available in indian market. But then i contacted gigabyte abt this and they gave me dealer number which gave me Retailer number than i got the product...

Some time when u go and ask for Coolmaster Heat sink fan or any of it they will primarily deny it. e.g "Artic Silver thermal compound" They will say like "Aisa bhi kuch hota hai kya" Even in Mumbai - Vashi...
...I can go on and on.... the process to get anything is directly contacting the company and asking them abt retailers information in our area. Simple.....
LOL

Still looking for the answer of this question from some forum pro which will be my alternative purchase. A backup plan.

4) I would like to also have a Amd Motherboard Under 5.5k As per the same above specification. Or any good which u can refer. Just in case i lack fund and i have to settle down with AMD full featured. Please do include 2-3 Varieties.... Is 790fx or 790g is better than 780g ? Please name a Brand of Mobo and it version (e.g GA-MA78-S2H, ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI etc ) Processor will be AMD Phenom X3 8450 2.1GHz @ 4.9k

Last edited:

volmetius

Broken In
Hi ppl!!! AMD X4 processors are in the rounds these days!! my question is will older boards based on 590SLi chipsets supports AMD Quad?? Cuz Iam using asus crosshair 590 Sli mobo trying to upgrade to Phenom!!!

imgame2

Padawan
Hi ppl!!! AMD X4 processors are in the rounds these days!! my question is will older boards based on 590SLi chipsets supports AMD Quad?? Cuz Iam using asus crosshair 590 Sli mobo trying to upgrade to Phenom!!!

AFAIK ...590 SLI is AM2 socket board right ...?? if it is then it will support AM2+ (phenom AMD X4 are AM2+ socket ) socket with a limitation ...

AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work on AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, the operation of AM2+ processors on AM2 motherboards will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0, and one power plane for both cores and the IMC). AM2 processors do not benefit from the faster HyperTransport 3.0 and separate power planes on AM2+ motherboards.

source
don't know the exact performance difference ....

also my understanding is u will need to upgrade ur BIOS perhaps ..so that ur chipset can recognize ...phenom ....(that may not be true ....)

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

imgame is right. It will support your mobo but you might need to flash the BIOS or OC it to support the FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom