Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Suggest good MOBO for AM3 socket and which has sideport memory .. ASUS m4a785td-v evo is costly ( compared to msi and GB) ..

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO is a premium board & costs accordingly. if u add all the features & specs it gt to MSI & Gigabyte mobo u'll see they shoot past M4A785TD-V price point rather very easily. still MSI 785G E65 is a hard to ignore board when Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H having almost exactly similar specs cost more than that MSI in most part of India. & MSI gt that 1 GigBit DDR3 chip under its northbridge heatsink.

happy20b

Journeyman
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO is a premium board & costs accordingly. if u add all the features & specs it gt to MSI & Gigabyte mobo u'll see they shoot past M4A785TD-V price point rather very easily. still MSI 785G E65 is a hard to ignore board when Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H having almost exactly similar specs cost more than that MSI in most part of India. & MSI gt that 1 GigBit DDR3 chip under its northbridge heatsink.

Can you name some boards which has got side port memory ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Can you name some boards which has got side port memory ?

ASROCK M3A785GXH:
3X Pcie X16 2.0 slots.
128Mb DDR3 sideport.

BIOSTAR TA785GE.
128Mb DDR2 sideport.
DDR2 support only. BAD

MSI 785GM-E65.
128Mb DDR3 sideport.

although Gigabyte also have a few with sideport i not seen them in online stores. & yes all 3 boards are 785G based. i skipped 790GX cause it'll unnecessarily increase cost if u don't plan CrossFireX & want to stick to IGP for now.

but just as a side note, its better to stick with non-sideport mobo if u do not OC the mGPU i.e. HD4200. if u plan to OC, get the Asus mobo. its sideport memory is OC'ble past 1600Mhz. mGPU past 1Ghz. & can challenge even 9500Gts.

happy20b

Journeyman
but just as a side note, its better to stick with non-sideport mobo if u do not OC the mGPU i.e. HD4200. if u plan to OC, get the Asus mobo. its sideport memory is OC'ble past 1600Mhz. mGPU past 1Ghz. & can challenge even 9500Gts.

Wow .. thanks a lot fo this info ..i din know about OCing HD4200 :)

I have not planed to buy any graphics card for now .. So i think it is better to go with asus TD-V evo ..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Wow .. thanks a lot fo this info ..i din know about OCing HD4200 :)

I have not planed to buy any graphics card for now .. So i think it is better to go with asus TD-V evo ..

almost all the current HD4200 mGPUs r OC'ble to 800Mhz (from default 500Mhz). But Asus M4A785TD-V EVO can be OC to 1Ghz & past as its cooling is superior to all other mobos out there with HD4200 onboard. even the MSI E65 which got a heatpipe. heres the full list of unique features Asus got:

Asus Power Solutions:
-8+2 phase power design.

Asus green design:
-EPU & Express Gate

Asus quite thermal solution:
-Fanless, stylish heatsink solution
Asus Qfan

OC features:
-Turbo V
-GPU NOS (OC HD4200 from windows or let it OC automatically)
-Turbo key

at 1024X768, medium details, with 4Gb DDR3 & a phenom X2 should give 50+ FPS in Left4Dead. maybe 60 if u OC the proccy & allocate 512+128 system memory to onboard graphics. but remember to reach 1Ghz u wil need a cabinet with good cooling, a good 120mm fan on side of cabinet to cool the mGPU specially.

happy20b

Journeyman
almost all the current HD4200 mGPUs r OC'ble to 800Mhz (from default 500Mhz). But Asus M4A785TD-V EVO can be OC to 1Ghz & past as its cooling is superior to all other mobos out there with HD4200 onboard. even the MSI E65 which got a heatpipe. heres the full list of unique features Asus got:

Asus Power Solutions:
-8+2 phase power design.

Asus green design:
-EPU & Express Gate

Asus quite thermal solution:
-Fanless, stylish heatsink solution
Asus Qfan

OC features:
-Turbo V
-GPU NOS (OC HD4200 from windows or let it OC automatically)
-Turbo key

at 1024X768, medium details, with 4Gb DDR3 & a phenom X2 should give 50+ FPS in Left4Dead. maybe 60 if u OC the proccy & allocate 512+128 system memory to onboard graphics. but remember to reach 1Ghz u wil need a cabinet with good cooling, a good 120mm fan on side of cabinet to cool the mGPU specially.

Thanks for all info .. i is useful for me ( and also others) .. by the way is mGPU OC is done in bios ? like CPU OC .. I have never done any OC yet .. but with my new PC i will be OCing Proc ,ram and nd mGPU :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks for all info .. i is useful for me ( and also others) .. by the way is mGPU OC is done in bios ? like CPU OC .. I have never done any OC yet .. but with my new PC i will be OCing Proc ,ram and nd mGPU :)

my pleasure mate. i collected lot of info on Asus M4A785TD-V EVO board myself as i considering it for my new PC.

for OC of mGPU, OC is mainly done in all 785G (formerly 780G) boards & even 790GX through bios. but manufacturers provide their individual OC tool (on selected models) like Easy Tuner 6 on Gigabyte, GPU NOS, Turbo V on ASUS, etc. Tom's Hardware did a shootout of 7 785G boards sometime back. if u plan to game using HD4200, u can go through that review once to see the benchmarks.

i2 considering same. wil OC proccy & onboard graphics. & most OC HD4200 wil beat Intel Core i3's HD graphics by a good 50% margin.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^
Cannot it not be done via the BIOS..?

some entry level boards don't come with OC software so bios is only safe way. 1 good example is ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO, the micro-ATX of the more famous elder brother 785TD-V. not comes with GPU NOS & even if applied the software fails to work correctly.

but doing through bios is a bit time consuming.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
OCing through bios is the best option IMO other than OCing with some app. OCing through some app is for newbies in OC and OCing apps has their limitation but Ocing through bios gives maximum flexibility and tweaking ability and that's a must for enthusiasts :p

Nvidia offers ntune for it's mid range to high end mobos and it has got plenty of tweaking and advanced options but I had never used it. I always OC through bios :p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@TopGear: + 1 (You always post so early in the morning)..Grooan...! :)

some entry level boards don't come with OC software so bios is only safe way. 1 good example is ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO, the micro-ATX of the more famous elder brother 785TD-V. not comes with GPU NOS & even if applied the software fails to work correctly.

but doing through bios is a bit time consuming.

That is why I was asking you, cannot it not be done via the BIOS.? Motherboard/CPU/RAM OC is best done via the BIOS. For GPU the windows based tools are fine. When I installed my system, OC green genie, and some other MSI OC software was slip streamed. I tried it like for 5 minutes -- and removed it. BIOS OC is the best. Because 100% you will commit the change to the BIOS. And the best thing is, once you commit the change, the system will re-start and try to POST. Now if your OC is incorrect (suppost 1200Mhz RAM speed when the board supports 1066MHz), it will never boot, and you get the warning message. With on screen utilities you get system crashes.

It is best to uninstall these types of software, cause at times the start on windows load, and make changes (read over ride) system setting.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

its his habit to wake up early in morning :smile: & mine to wake up late :grin:

That is why I was asking you, cannot it not be done via the BIOS.? Motherboard/CPU/RAM OC is best done via the BIOS. For GPU the windows based tools are fine. When I installed my system, OC green genie, and some other MSI OC software was slip streamed. I tried it like for 5 minutes -- and removed it. BIOS OC is the best. Because 100% you will commit the change to the BIOS. And the best thing is, once you commit the change, the system will re-start and try to POST. Now if your OC is incorrect (suppost 1200Mhz RAM speed when the board supports 1066MHz), it will never boot, and you get the warning message. With on screen utilities you get system crashes.

It is best to uninstall these types of software, cause at times the start on windows load, and make changes (read over ride) system setting.

yah, best is bios, thanks for the added info. nowadays bios is clean & easy to understand. i tried OC my proccy but unable to find CPU:RAM ratio :x what nonsense bios i got in my board. its based on ATI Xpress 200 by Asus.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

its his habit to wake up early in morning :smile: & mine to wake up late :grin:

yah, best is bios, thanks for the added info. nowadays bios is clean & easy to understand. i tried OC my proccy but unable to find CPU:RAM ratio :x what nonsense bios i got in my board. its based on ATI Xpress 200 by Asus.

Yup, It's my habit to wake up early in the morning since my childhood :p

BTW, which cpu do you have as ATI XPress 200 supports both AMD and Intel cpu and entry level mobos not always offers all kind of tweaking options.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^
It would be FSB : DRAM

its not available. actually i got option of decreasing the ram speed only to achieve stable OC.

Yup, It's my habit to wake up early in the morning since my childhood :p

BTW, which cpu do you have as ATI XPress 200 supports both AMD and Intel cpu and entry level mobos not always offers all kind of tweaking options.

P4 524 @ 3Ghz. its a budget board but still got a few tweaking options. also bad luck is its DDR1 only.

dontanalyse

Right off the assembly line
I'm sorry to post here instead of starting a new thread, but as I'm not able to create a a new thread(i'm not permitted to ) I'm writing here as I am in need of help buying a desktop. I have my laptop to use and the configuratioin is okay, but as I am so much used to desktop, I had used my Uncle's desktop for over a year and the configuration is Dual Core 2.0, 1GB RAM, and 250GB harddisk drive.I am in need of a desktop now.
My budgets are not high and a friend who is moving to another city want to sell off his desktop, and he can give me real cheap which made me to write here. My friend's desktop config is
P4 3.0 GHZ
80GB HDD (PATA/IDE not SATA)
1GB RAM
CRT monitor for 5k

My budgets are not that high, and here's what I use a desktop for
Adobe photoshop
Listening to music,
Gtalk
Browsing & Downloading from the Internet

And my OS of choice would be Windows 7 32 bit

I'd be glad if someone can help me with whether I should buy my friends desktop or assemble a new one. If I have to assemble it, what's the cheapest or the best configuration I should go for to meet my needs.
Thanks in advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz @ 2.8k
17 or 19 inch TFT LCD Monitor around ( 6- 6.5K )
ECS A785GM-M3 @ 3.2k
2x 1GB DDR2 800 MHz Ram @ Rs. 2200
250 or 320 GB HDD @ Rs. 2000
Zebronics Bijli cabby without PSU around 1.1K
Gigabyte Superb PSU 460W around 2.2K or Colorsit/VIp PSU 450W around 1/1.5K
Logitech KB+Mouse around Rs. 700
Samsung or LG DVD RW Drive @ 1.1K

dontanalyse

Right off the assembly line
Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz @ 2.8k
17 or 19 inch TFT LCD Monitor around ( 6- 6.5K )
ECS A785GM-M3 @ 3.2k
2x 1GB DDR2 800 MHz Ram @ Rs. 2200
250 or 320 GB HDD @ Rs. 2000
Zebronics Bijli cabby without PSU around 1.1K
Gigabyte Superb PSU 460W around 2.2K or Colorsit/VIp PSU 450W around 1/1.5K
Logitech KB+Mouse around Rs. 700
Samsung or LG DVD RW Drive @ 1.1K

Thanks for the quick respnose..

Can you please help me with a MOBO which have both IDE and SATA harddisk point . My Mobo choices are Gigabyte, ASUS and Intel..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks for the quick respnose..

Can you please help me with a MOBO which have both IDE and SATA harddisk point . My Mobo choices are Gigabyte, ASUS and Intel..

intel manufacture motherboards for intel processors only. rest are asus & gigabyte. asus wil b costly @ 6.5k & gigabyte @ 5.5 & wil cost more. ECS is a good brand. & the mobo topgear suggested u is from their Black series for enthusiasts & is feature rich.

still if u feel a bit uneasy with ECS, MSI 785GM-E51 @ 4.6k or Biostar TA785G A3 @ 3.7k are also good buys but ECS is giving away very good board at very budget price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom