Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

The Last Puff
@madhunandyala
Its probably a virus problem with ur pc, run a full scan on ur pc with an updated antivirus, and try to reduce the number of startup to a bare minimum programs by running msconfig(start>window+r>msconfig>enter)..
check ur task manager for any unknown resource hogging processes..
If the antivirus fails to detect the problems, a format would be the best option for u..

prvprv

Journeyman
hey guys which one is better gfx chipset? ATI 4350 or Nvidia 9400GT?
which brand card to buy? (msi, xfx, palit, powercolor, etc.... ??)

btw im not a hardcore gamer. its for watching and converting hd movies etc only.

Last edited:

rulerofthecity

Right off the assembly line
Hello my knowledgable friends,
I have a PC whoz Motherboard doesnt have Wifi adapter built-in.

I have a wired ADSL modem connected to my PC and I want to share the internet connection with my laptop.
I have Windows 7 running on my PC as well as laptop.

For this, buying a Wifi adapter to make my PC wifi enabled to share the internet connection with my laptop should suffice, isnt it?
Am I missing anything?

Consider that I will be getting a wireless ADSL router in future to wirelessly connect to the internet on my PC, laptop and PDA.

I also want to know which Wifi adapter to go for, my priorities are range and good transfer speed.

Thanks ;-)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hello ,

I am Madhu, a Post graduate student in VLSI Design. I am a new reader of Digit. I was come across this mail ID in the january edition . Thank you for providing our products in your style....

Here is a problem i am facing with my PC. My PC configuration is as follows.

AMD Phenom X3 8650 2.3 GHzs processor,
ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard,
2GB DDR2 ZION hynex RAM,
160 GB Seagatte HDD,
BSNL Data One Broadband Internet Service,
ASUS VH192 19" monitor.

I am using the PC with MS Windows XP SP2 Operating System. While start up my system is very slow and after booting it takes time to connect to internet and also it requires more time for opening any application like media player, Nero etc. In fact it takes some time to settle, then only any application can be opened otherwise it gets hung. As i am having a triple core processor i am excepting the system to run faster than my earlier dual core processor(AMD only), where its not happening. I heard that the triple core of AMD is a flap,will you clarify on that please. I am playing Max Payne 2 game on the system which is working very slow while it is working pretty good on a Acer lappie which is having Intel Core 2 Duo processor. please help in sorting out the issue.

Will a transition to the following config makes my system better.?????

AMD Athlon II X2 245
ASUS or Gigabyte Suitable motherboard

I am having a problem with my monitor also. A shade running from bottom to up continuously. I am using Iball speakers. is that the speakers effecting the monitor. I switched off the speakers and checked the problem remained same. I taken it to the service center and its working fine there....and i do not know what to do?????

Please help me in speeding up my system and solve my monitors problem. please reply me as soon as possible. Thank you...

download, update & scan with this software: A-squared Free. U r badly infected i feel. & post your findings back here. we'll offer appropriate help.

btw im not a hardcore gamer. its for watching and converting hd movies etc only.

for how much you getting both cards for? 1st check price & then report back here. I feel u should get either 9500GT even if you don't game. 9400GT as well as 4350 is too slow for any type of gaming. & is comparable to IGP like 790GX & 785G. if you get a 9500GT for below 3k get it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

get 9400gt then but I will suggest a 9500gt though which is a couple of bucks ( rs. 300-400 ) more.

amitjha

Broken In
hey guys.. need some suggestions.. i have to upgrade my pc and hav allocated a budget of 15000 bucks for it. I need to buy following parts:
1] mobo (should support pentium D processor as am not changing d cpu)
2] GFX card (gud enough to play cod4:modern warfare 2 at decent resolution)
3] RAM (enough to support games lyk cod4 and other heavy applications)
4] HDD (500gb wud be enough for me i suppose)

My primary concern is that i shud be as future proof as possible, so want to go for ddr3 ram and GFX card wid atleast 1gb of DDR3 memory, but dont know if this will fit in my budget. So please help me out and suggest something, also if u cud suggest a gud shop in nehru place,delhi, it wud really help me a lot.
Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

You need a LGA775 pin based mobo for your dual core processor and these boards supports only C2D and Core2Quad processors, not the latest Core i7/i5 processors. So you need a DDR3 based system so that you can at lease upgrade the ram in future.
Here goes your suggestion:

Motherboard: GA-G41MT-ES2L 2 DDR3 1333 MHz, 1 X16, 1 X1, 2 PCI slot @ 3.3k (Deltapage.com)
RAM:
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9 Titanium @ 5.8k
MSI HD5770 1GB GDDR5 @ 9.6k if you badly want Dx11 or XFX HD4870 1GB GDDR5 @ 9.4k
But let us know what PSU u r having. If you have local PSU, then you may need to go for a good PSU like Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.2k

hey cilus thanks for revrting so quick, and sorry for replying late thanks to the mtnl internet connection...

Anyways the config luks gud but it goes way over my budget as i hav to buy a HDD as well...
Also I dont think that Dx11 will become mainstream anytym soon, so I could settle for a cheaper GFX card, someone in the graphics card thread suggested me to buy a 9600GT sometime back, so what do you say, wont it be enough for casual gaming and occasional-to-somewhat-regular video editing and composing work.
As for the PSU its the stock PSU which came with my IBALL cabinet, so will change that too as you hav said..
Please suggest another config considering the above points..

One more thing could anybody suggest me a good shop in nehru place, delhi where i could purchse these hardware, i generally buy from cost 2 cost , but off late i dont find the latest hardware or some brands at their shop, so please suggest a shop where i can get these peripherals u ppl mention, at the price u mention..
Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the pain...

one big noobish doubt, does i7 920 does not support more than 1066 mz ram:?:
if we use 1600mz ram, would it use its full capacity or only upto 1066:???:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Depends what RAM it is. But the 'board' can support 1600Mhz. You will need to change the RAM timings, and DRAM voltages too.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
The type of RAM we gamers usually buy, have extended performance profiles. (For DDR2 they were called EPP setting, its slightly different for DDR3, but means the same). So the manufacture label the box 1600Mhz DDR3. Usually what this means:

1. It is an EPP setting.
2. Has been thoroughly tested at this speed for stability.
3. Will not work 'out of the box' at this speed.

Now what EPP means, is that when you plug the 1600Mhz stick in the board, boot up -- it will probably not be running at 1600Mhz (or 800Mhz). You would need to go into the BIOS change the FSB DRAM ratio,RAM timings, and DRAM voltage. These settings are burnt onto the sticks and CPU-Z can show them. Something like this. The SPD tab will show the settings.

Now if you have a board which supports 2000Mhz, then it should be also able to support 1600,1333,1066. Ideally -- of course the manual will specify.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
Hi, Can anyone please tell me whether Kingston HyperX RAM 6Gb Kit (2Gb x 3 modules) of 1600 MHz will work properly on MSI-X58 Pro Motherboard with Intel Core-i7 920 on it ??
Waiting for an urgent reply...

p.s..I didn't know where to ask this question (coz i am new to the forum) so i posted it here....:)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hi, Can anyone please tell me whether Kingston HyperX RAM 6Gb Kit (2Gb x 3 modules) of 1600 MHz will work properly on MSI-X58 Pro Motherboard with Intel Core-i7 920 on it ??
Waiting for an urgent reply...

p.s..I didn't know where to ask this question (coz i am new to the forum) so i posted it here....:)

Have answered it twice. You are asking this the third time in this same section. Be patient. Here is your answer.

ok got some idea, and what about cpu which supports only upto 1066, how will it perform or use the ram modules:?:

Which CPU you want..? Most support. LGA775/i5/i7.

^ bro the one in discussion i7 920 for 1366 socket:?:

one more question - as I don't see any apparent difference between GA series M/Bs X58A-UD3/5/7, just checked on gigabyte site, all are atx boards having all similar features then where is the difference that varies them in cost so drastically, please do clarify this( as we discussed earlier for going with UD5, if there is no any serious difference then I can oft for UD3 X58A one seeing the cost difference), all rev.1 series.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^
The i7 920 will support 1066Mhz for sure.

Here are the basic differences between UD3/5/7.

UD3:
2 PCI.E x16 x16
USB 2.0 (upto 12)
Support for DDR3 2000+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
4 DIMM slots. 16GB maximum.

UD5:
3 PCI.E x16 x16 x8
USB 2.0 (upto 12)
Support for DDR3 2100+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
6 DIMM slots. 24GB maximum.

UD7:
4 PCI.E x16 x16 x8 x8
USB 3.0 (upto 12 -- 10x 2.0 and 2x3.0 or 2.0)
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

^
The i7 920 will support 1066Mhz for sure.

Here are the basic differences between UD3/5/7.

UD3:
2 PCI.E x16 x16
USB 2.0 (upto 12)
Support for DDR3 2000+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
4 DIMM slots. 16GB maximum.

UD5:
3 PCI.E x16 x16 x8
USB 2.0 (upto 12)
Support for DDR3 2100+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

UD7:
4 PCI.E x16 x16 x8 x8
USB 3.0 (upto 12 -- 10x 2.0 and 2x3.0 or 2.0)
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

*www.giga-byte.co.in/Products/Mothe...board&ProductID=3305&ProductName=GA-X58A-UD3R

go through this and clarify -here it says 24gb ram and upto 2 usb 3 ports:???:

and yes i7 920 supports 1066mz ram however when board can support upto 2200mz, how is the balanced achieved, would cpu be bottleneck in handling extra speed ram?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Oh dammit..! I gave it for the EX series. Sorry about that.

Here is the comparison for the X58A series.
*img638.imageshack.us/img638/7677/gigax58comparison.jpg

Hardly any difference. Only the LAN connectivity, and the chipset cooling system. Get the cheapest one.

The memory controller handles the 2200Mhz -- 1066Mhz frequency range. There will not be bottle necking. The X58 has a real quick QPI. Get the quickest RAM you can afford.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
Have answered it twice. You are asking this the third time in this same section. Be patient. Here is your answer.
Sorry...I needed the answer urgently that's y i asked it so many times...But thanks a lot for ur support dude....!!

happy20b

Journeyman
Suggest good MOBO for AM3 socket and which has sideport memory .. ASUS m4a785td-v evo is costly ( compared to msi and GB) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom