Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cilus

laborare est orare
There are some advantages and disadvantages about Core i5 compared to Core i7

For example Core i7 has triple channel memory controller where i5 has 2 channel. But the memory controller of i5 is faster than i7.

The PCI Express X16 memory controller is on die in i5 CPU. So in single GPU performance, it can match the performance of i7 processors, but in multi GPU configuration, there may be bottlenecks. In multi GPU performance i7 is still better.

3rdly i5 processors are having their multiplier locked. Too bad for the overclockers.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ All normal model intel cpu's comes with (upward ) multiplier locked in condition ( upward ):p
But only extreme model intel cpu's comes with unlocked multiplier :p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
There are some advantages and disadvantages about Core i5 compared to Core i7

For example Core i7 has triple channel memory controller where i5 has 2 channel. But the memory controller of i5 is faster than i7.

The PCI Express X16 memory controller is on die in i5 CPU. So in single GPU performance, it can match the performance of i7 processors, but in multi GPU configuration, there may be bottlenecks. In multi GPU performance i7 is still better.

3rdly i5 processors are having their multiplier locked. Too bad for the overclockers.

This makes it sound, that the p55 is almost at par with the x58. But the i7s are quicker then the i5s, so overall the x58 should perform quicker.

Cilus

laborare est orare
One thing I forgot to mention about i5 processors. They don't have Hyperthreading like the Core i7 processors. So the Logical as well as Physical processor count is 4 unlike the Core i7, where logical processor count is 8. So in highly multithreaded applications like 3D image processing, Audio/Video Encoding etc, core i7 is a better performer because theoretically it can process 8 independent threads simultaneously compared to the 4 of i5.

manishjha18

In the zone
I am looking to buy a mid range gaming PC for about Rs. 40,000 which will do well for another 2 yrs at least. The main things I seek are:
1. The technology should not be outdated
2. All present games like CRYSIS should run at high resolution
3. My system should be able to extract the best performance from all components

My local PC wallah in Pune has suggested me following config:

AMD Phenom X4 550 + ASUS M4A 10,100
Transcend 4 GB DDR 2 RAM 4,000
320 GB Seagate HDD 3,250
LG 18.5'' LCD monitor 5ms 6,750
Gigabyte 9800 GT 1GB 7,250
400 W SMPS and Cabinet 2,050

The whole system is costing me around 36k. My PC wallah has also said that spending more won't make much sense as I won't get that much performance gain. But somehow, I am not convinced. I am willing to extend my budget up to 45 k if I get SIGNIFICANT performance gain. Kindly advise me in this regard as I am not much aware about this market.

Thanks in advance

hey go to systek swargate.
cell no 02026440636
u wd get a cheaper deal there---u can refer my name--the owner pramod is mine friend.

itisravishankar

tech master
What is the cheapest AMD board which supports DDR3? My friend is building a PC using athlon x4 620 and is extremely limited on budget. Seeing that ddr2 ram prices have almost reached to the levels of DDR3, i think it would be better for him to go with DDR3 motherboard. Price:6k max.

itisravishankar

tech master
What UPS should i use with this config

AMD Athlon X4 620
790GX motherboard
2 RAM modules
2 HDD
ATI 5770
Corsair VX450

There are almost no power cut or voltage fluctuations here. So don't want too costly UPS. Budget 2-2.5k

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
What UPS should i use with this config

AMD Athlon X4 620
790GX motherboard
2 RAM modules
2 HDD
ATI 5770
Corsair VX450

There are almost no power cut or voltage fluctuations here. So don't want too costly UPS. Budget 2-2.5k

You need atleast a 650VA UPS which costs around 3k I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom