Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
@keith: the ABiT board may be wrongly quoted, and Its actually 5k.
but 3870 had a recent price drop. My friend informed me about it today.

Sill its 512MB and its HD 3870!
Wonder whats the price of HD3850?

I guess for free!:D

2 Days back 3870 was selling for 14000/-
And now all of a sudden its half of the price?

Tricky! Isn't it?
Check it again!

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Do they support input from both DTH & cable.

If you want Analog as well as digital TV then go for either PCTV Hybrid Tuner Kit for Windows Vista or Leadtek WinFast DTV 1800h Media Center Edition. These are the cheapest yet the most effective TV Tuners to be used in Windows Vista with Vista Media Center.

Also how is quality of the output to TV. Is there any quality loss if routing signal from PC to TV. I already have an HTPC with HDMI/DVI output.

Don't know, I don't see any quality loss when I see TV on my 17" Monitor.

This just in....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

NO NEED TO BUY OR EXCHANGE MY EXISTING TV TUNER FOR A NEW ONE :D

Since I reinstalled Vista SP1, I tried the TV Function in WMC for the first time & to my surprice, it worked. My Pinnacle PCTV 100i TV Tuner works in Vista WMC & shows channels properly ...Yipeeee..

I m not buying a new TV Tuner card as my existing TV Tuner works fine in Vista. My Pinnacle remote doesn't work with WMC, but who cares when I can simply order XBOX 360 Universal Media Remote from Microsoft company store (Free for us MVP) & it will work fine with Vista Media Center.

Thank you Microsoft for taking care of my 2 years old TV Tuner card :D

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@keith_j_snyder2
but the 14k price[high] for 3870 was due to less availability in here. Maybe now the price reduction + better availability[coz of more popularity] made it damn cheap.
but i dont think its 7k..no way
maybe less than 10k or max 9k.

after all u can crossfire an HD 3870 with a HD 3850 anytime. This is impressive considering the new price of 3850. And u can oc those cards independently. 3850 can be crancked the clocks for GPU close to 3870.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Yup! And since nvidia has launched 9600GT, ATi has to do something into this as their 4000 series are not here.
I have seen a price cut but thats only $20-$40. Not this much!
If HD3870 comes in 7K range then people would be stupid enough if they buy 9600GT or 8800GT where they can get same performance in a lesser price range!

Am I Being Cheated ?

I have the intel D915GLVG motherboard.
its specifications are on the following link
*www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915glvg/sb/CS-020821.htm
it states that I have a PCIe 1x slot
but the guy at the computer shop where I bought this system 2 years ago, when asked for a graphics card, says that my mobo lacks a PCIe slot. I am utterly confused. I thought till now that the writing on the board's box was wrong, and assumed that I lacked a PCIe slot. But the website of intel says otherwise. Please help me.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: Am I Being Cheated ?

I have the intel D915GLVG motherboard.
its specifications are on the following link
*www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915glvg/sb/CS-020821.htm
it states that I have a PCIe 1x slot
but the guy at the computer shop where I bought this system 2 years ago, when asked for a graphics card, says that my mobo lacks a PCIe slot. I am utterly confused. I thought till now that the writing on the board's box was wrong, and assumed that I lacked a PCIe slot. But the website of intel says otherwise. Please help me.
GFX cards are PCIe x16 while what you haf (as you say) is a PCIe x1 slot. GFX card can't be plugged into that slot.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
a g-card needs a pcie x16 slot ( x16 means "by 16 lanes" ) . though the slot may not be pcie x16 , it needs to be atleast physically x16 even though the slot may be only a x4 or x8 electrically. . . ur mobo has a pcie x1 slot(both physical and electrical) . theoretically u shud be able to run any pcie x16 g-card on it but with reduced preformance .. . however , that pcie x1 slot doesnt have the size of a x16 slot . so the g-card wont go into that slot at all although the card can run at x1 ....

u wud have to find the right place and cut the part of the g-card so that it fits into the x1 slot. . risky , havent heard of any1 doing that with success and simply not worth it as u'll get ultra low performance from that x1 slot

I can't believe you are such a computer noob & still argue with others on silly computer & OS things.

Anyway, for graphics card your motherboard requirs a PCI Express X16 slot. You motherboard has one PCI Express X1 Slot which is not for graphics card.
GFX cards are PCIe x16 while what you haf (as you say) is a PCIe x1 slot. GFX card can't be plugged into that slot.
Thats not the problem. My PC vendor says there is NO PCIe SLOT AT ALL and there are ONLY two PCI slots. Hope you understand my situation. The part about getting a graphics card for that slot was oooold, and back then I was a n00b. Only recently did I find this thing out in the net that my mobo DOES have a PCIe slot, but my vendor denies it.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
U just want to prove the vendor that he is wrong?
then show him the mobo and ask "if this slot is not PCIE 1x then WTH is it"?

Re: Am I Being CHeated ?

^^^ I totally fail to understand the point you wanna make.
my point is this: how do I find out if my mobo has a slot for sure ? I have no idea how a PCIe 1x slot looks like, though I have seen several PCIe 16x slots. I feel I may have been cheated and given another mobo when I bought my comp, or that the assembler might have exchanged my mobo with another one. I want to find out the truth, so I am asking.

Pathik

Google Bot
Ani afaik it doesnt natively atleast.. *www.intel.com/products/chipsets/g31/
and neways if u r getting a gpu then u shd get a abit ip35e.. And try to get the e8200 if u can..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ani afaik it doesnt natively atleast.. *www.intel.com/products/chipsets/g31/
and neways if u r getting a gpu then u shd get a abit ip35e.. And try to get the e8200 if u can..
Yeah, saw that page. Intel site does say however that G31 can take peryn proc. and 1333mhz fsb. The proc. mobo compatiblity list says that! Kinda confused...

dude, I am on a budget, and I have 915 chipset, not G31.
See this image: *www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/PI-AM2RS690MHD/images/slots.jpg

The small black slot (doesn't need to be black always) is the pci-e x1 slot. You can open up the cabinet and easily identify it.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
a sound card with PCIE 1x slot or a gigabit ethernet card.
U can even get GFX card for 1x slot. There are many quadro series cards even with DDR3 on PCIE 1x interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom