Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
if 80 gig HDD is enuf, then use your old computer's HDD

It's SATA 1.0 with 2 MB Buffer, so upgrading.

The cabinet is fixed, iBall Baby 306 unless I see something better.

LCD monitor will be Samsung 732NW but next month. Let me get teh CPU first...

& for gods sake, other then one designer G-F of mine, all my other G-Fs are n00b in computers :p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Actually one GF is also an animator, while another G-F is a fashion designer :D

rest all are computer noobs....

@ Anirudh

I m getting 1k for my 80 GB, while 160 GB with 2 MB buffer is for Rs 2,000, looks like a good deal to me.

Let's see, I will go tomorrow to inquire further about the harddisk availability.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I m getting 1k for my 80 GB, while 160 GB with 2 MB buffer is for Rs 2,000, looks like a good deal to me.
What??!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: Holy ****!!! 1k for 80G sata 1??? thats it! I'm selling my 160GB and getting 250G one! :D

Damn good man... or rather the dealer is damn foolish!! :D Awesome deal you got!! :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Dealer is a friend & the harddisk is less then 1 years old. Remember my old IDE 80 GB HD died last year so I bought this....

He will sale it again to someone for Rs 1,200 approx. :D

psmontte

Broken In
My DVD writer will be replaced with the SATA Model & TV Tuner card with new Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista.

I will need to give my old computer & Rs 8,000.

What is the criteria for choosing Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista. Also where are you getting it from and how much?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Leadtek has some gr8 models of TV tuners for vista with and w/o digital processing and has best performance. Most of em are HD comaptible.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
What is the criteria for choosing Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista. Also where are you getting it from and how much?

The Windows Media Center application in Vista needs a TV Tuner with hardware MPEG2 Encoder or simply even a software based card will do. With the advancement of DivX codec & Dual Core CPU, having a software based TV Tuner card isn't bad either. This is the reason the hardware requirment of Vista WMC is either a software or a hardware encoder based card while previously with Windows XP Media Center Edition a hardware MPEG2 encoder based card was a must.

The best & cheapest available options in the market from what I see are Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista or WinFast TV2000 XP Expert. The reason for selecting these cards are simple, both of these cards work flawlessly with the Media Center application of Windows Vista due to which you can watch TV in WMC. These are quite cheap too, Rs 2,500 approx. Personally I prefer the Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ok, now you guys gotta help me. I need to build a system with these specs:

1) Cheapest Core2Duo proc. with VT
2) Cheapest mobo with dual channel support (without GFX would be great since I'd be putting in a discrete gfx card anyway. No SLI/CF)
3) 667 or 800Mhz RAM? How much is "real world" perfomance difference, if anybody has personally exp.?
4) nvidia GFX card which falls between low and mid-range (mebbe 8500GT?)
5) Anybody got an ATX 2.03 400W PSU from the P4 era working with a Core2Duo system?
6) Affordable 19" Widescreen LCD (without speakers/docks and other fancy stuff).

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Intel DG33FB for 4750
Asus/XFX 8600GT
C2D E2160 or 2140
A Samsung 19" LCD
667 or 800 mhz value ram don't have any noticable difference.its like a 4-5% increase only.what matters is latency..unless u wanna buy OC ram,go with 667 only.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Ok, now you guys gotta help me. I need to build a system with these specs:

1) Cheapest Core2Duo proc. with VT
2) Cheapest mobo with dual channel support (without GFX would be great since I'd be putting in a discrete gfx card anyway. No SLI/CF)
3) 667 or 800Mhz RAM? How much is "real world" perfomance difference, if anybody has personally exp.?
4) nvidia GFX card which falls between low and mid-range (mebbe 8500GT?)
5) Anybody got an ATX 2.03 400W PSU from the P4 era working with a Core2Duo system?
6) Affordable 19" Widescreen LCD (without speakers/docks and other fancy stuff).

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
ABiT IP35-E
No real Word differnce in 667 vs 800 but then again price is not too much different either :lol: so opt for 800 MHz
XFX 8600 GT GDDR-III 256 MB costs Rs. 4500/- +TAX
U need New PSU, atleast 450 Watts of any local made one for C2D which are here at Kolkata, Rs. 400/-
VA1912Wb DVI is Rs. 8200/- + TAX

TAX are all 4% VAT :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Nah, you guys r telling him overclocking or gaming configs.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel DG31PR Motherboard, trust me you won't need anything more then this if u don't plan to over clock.
DDR2 667 will do, save some money.
XFX 8500GT with 256 MB DDR2 RAM
iBall Baby 306 cabient, cute & sweet :D

Nah, you guys r telling him overclocking or gaming configs.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel DG31PR Motherboard, trust me you won't need anything more then this if u don't plan to over clock.
DDR2 667 will do, save some money.
XFX 8500GT with 256 MB DDR2 RAM
iBall Baby 306 cabient, cute & sweet :D
infra has the skill needed to OC. So I suggest him the following rig:

ABiT IP35-E 4k
Intel Core Duo E2160 3k
Kingston Value RAM DDR2 800MHz two 1 GB sticks 2.5k
AMD Radeon HD3870 7k

psmontte

Broken In
The Windows Media Center application in Vista needs a TV Tuner with hardware MPEG2 Encoder or simply even a software based card will do. With the advancement of DivX codec & Dual Core CPU, having a software based TV Tuner card isn't bad either. This is the reason the hardware requirment of Vista WMC is either a software or a hardware encoder based card while previously with Windows XP Media Center Edition a hardware MPEG2 encoder based card was a must.

The best & cheapest available options in the market from what I see are Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista or WinFast TV2000 XP Expert. The reason for selecting these cards are simple, both of these cards work flawlessly with the Media Center application of Windows Vista due to which you can watch TV in WMC. These are quite cheap too, Rs 2,500 approx. Personally I prefer the Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista

Do they support input from both DTH & cable. Also how is quality of the output to TV. Is there any quality loss if routing signal from PC to TV. I already have an HTPC with HDMI/DVI output.

Where can I procure it?

Thx.

Leadtek has some gr8 models of TV tuners for vista with and w/o digital processing and has best performance. Most of em are HD comaptible.

Where to procure.?

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Oh boys.. boys.. E4000/2000 doesn't support VT. Also whats the price of E6550? Can I get this whole upgrade within 18-20k?

The would basically be a home PC (all the geenral stuff) for my family while I'd only be using it for testing OS' (thats why I need native VT in proc.).

7k for GFX card is overkill! I want something in the range between low and mid and pref. nVidia.

Oh Yes, dual channel RAM is utmost imp. I've kinda lost touch with desktop components, specs and prices since I hafnt used adesktop since years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom