Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Cost is always high in lucknow which we have to reduce it by bargaining.

Anyway, I am buying the computer today or tomorrow. Should I go ahead or change something?

This is your final,right?

Ok, Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 CPU is fixed. This is final. If I can get an old stock of E6600 then I will buy it.

Intel DG31PR motherboard is Final.

Cabinet is iBall Baby 306, final.

2X1 GB DDR2 667 RAM is Final.

XFX GeForce 8600GT with 512 MB DDR2 RAM & 17" Samsung 732NW LCD monitor is final, but next month.

Western Digital WD1600AAJS Harddisk is final.

I will be exchanging my Samsung SH-S202J IDE DVD Writer for Samsung SH-S203D SATA DVD Writer for free.

I will be exchanging my Pinnacle PCTV 100i with Pinnacle Tuner kit for Vista by paying a difference of Rs 500.

Existing hardware which I will migrate to the new PC

Microsoft Erogonomics Keyboard 4000 with Laser Mouse 5000
Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000
Logitech X-230 Speakers
Philips HP-250 earphones
Windows Vista & Office 2007 License

You should buy this

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Thanx, I m leaving now. Depending on parts availability I will either buy it today or tomorrow. Will post some pics of my "Lab" :D

The System will be used for everything general purpose along with Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, 3D Studio Max 2008, After Effect CS3, Autodesk Combustion, Premiere Pro CS3, Microsoft Expression Blend & Expression Design & WPF Application developement. Kind of a designer's workstation.....:D

When I buy a computer I pay attention to efficiency. The last computer I bought 4.5 years ago is still strong & I only had to upgrade the RAM in it over the years, I added a TV Tuner card & new harddisk though as the old harddisk died. The one I m buying now will be again used for atleast 4 years.

I am not buying a graphics card right now as I don't require it for the first month atleast, & in 1 month the cost of 8600GT will reduce due to the release of 9600GT.

Sound card is no longer required, the onboard HD Audio is good enough for me. I use 2.1 speakers or headphone.

Oh! by the way,...this is gonna be my CPU Cabinet

*iball.co.in/admin/images/main_img_113.jpg

But the other model gives an illusion of Mac Pro :D

*iball.co.in/admin/images/main_img_108.jpg

go4saket

I brought the black model out of the two. Its actually a Server cabinet but fortunately the desktop Mobo fits fine...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This just in, I just came back from the shop, the stock wasn't available so I will be buying the computer tomorrow. Here are the prices I was quoted today.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 + Intel DG31PR Motherboard = Rs 8,300

2X 1 GB Dynet DDR2 667 RAM = Rs 1,700

Westen Digital WD1600AABS Harddisk (2 MB Buffer) = Rs 2,000

The 8 MB Buffer model isn't available & will come on order. Should I go with 2 MB Buffer or should I order the 8 MB buffer model WD1600AAJS ?

iBall Baby 306 cabinet with 400W Power Supply = Rs 1,800

My DVD writer will be replaced with the SATA Model & TV Tuner card with new Pinnacle TV Tuner kit for Vista.

I will need to give my old computer & Rs 8,000.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^ 8mb buffer man whatever happens.2mb is just toooooo less for the work u have to do.
dynet rams are very poor performers (no i'm not talking abt overclocking) .get kingston \corsair\transcend value series

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ok, I will ask for Kingston ValueRAM & 8 MB Buffer based harddisk, I m ordering the harddisk right now so I will get it by tomorrow

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
2X 1 GB Dynet DDR2 667 RAM = Rs 1,700
Dynet RAM is the worst component in you list! Get Kingston.

Westen Digital WD1600AABS Harddisk (2 MB Buffer) = Rs 2,000
Whoa! You kidding?? 2MB buffer. Nothing less than 8MB buffer should do!

iBall Baby 306 cabinet with 400W Power Supply = Rs 1,800
My advice: Get at least 500W PSU. Why? You'll soon gonna run outta space on that puny 160GB HDD and you wudn't wanna throw it so soon coz its kinda not old.

Next you gonna put in an 8600/9600GT or comparable.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I just ordered Kingston ValueRAM 2X1GB DDR2 667 which will come on order by tomorrow but Western Digital WD1600AAJS hard disk will take 2 days to arrive. Oh! Well, waiting for 2 days to get much better performance sounds a better deal to me.

The way I manage my hard disk, 160 GB is more then enough. Will you guys believe that out of my 50 GB E drive, 30 GB is still free :D, so hard disk space is not an issue.

The 400W PSU is the one bundled. I will replace it with a VIP SMPS, will that do? 450 W will be enough for the system even with 8600GT

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Harddisk with 8 MB Buffer isn't available :( . I m still trying for it though at other shops.
Wait... wait.. and wait till you get an 8mb buffer hdd.

The 400W PSU is the one bundled. I will replace it with a VIP SMPS, will that do? 450 W will be enough for the system even with 8600GT
Think of the future. Very very important. Hafing an 50W may cost a bit now but sure is future proof! This is one component which you don't change every now and then. Prolly the least upgraded of all compnents. Invest in a good quality future proof PSU.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
ok, I edited the post. I ordered the 8 MB Buffer model, it will come by monday, so I will buy the computer on monday now.

I m buying the included 400W PSU in the cabinet right now as it is good enough for existing needs. When I buy the graphics card in a month then I will order a better VIP or some other PSU & sale my existing PSU for Rs 500 to the vendor.

@gx_saurav:

1. So what if crysis runs on Windows Vista ?(I didn't make the S $ and the V P as choto's thread is too good to be spoilt)

2. There are other cabinets available with 500W PSU and they still manage to look good

3. Concider WD Calviar 320 GB 16 mb buffer Rs. 3500/- HDD, because as long as you have a game/music/movie buff in the house, any HDD will appear tiny. The extra Rs. 1500 is worth it.

4. Kingston Value RAM is good. Buy it.

5. Processor and Mobo look quite good at that price. Nice choice. Do write a review.

@anirudh:
infra_red_dude said:
Hafing an 50W may cost a bit now but sure is future proof!
50W is not even past proof :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Shuks....the harddisk will take 4 days to come :(, purchase is on tuesday & it's gonna cost me a little more.

RAM is available now, Kingston ValueRAM KVR667D2N5K2/2G, kit of 2X1 GB DDR2 667 modules.

@ Gautam

I like the cabinet, sweet & cute....cweet I would say :D. I will buy a high power PSU later with the graphics card.

3. Concider WD Calviar 320 GB 16 mb buffer Rs. 3500/- HDD, because as long as you have a game/music/movie buff in the house, any HDD will appear tiny. The extra Rs. 1500 is worth it.

16 MB Buffer is good, but I don't need the extra HD space & don't have Rs 1,500 extra. Trust me, even 80 GB is enough if you manage the harddisk like I do. Besides, I m no movie buff.

Shuks....the harddisk will take 4 days to come :(, purchase is on tuesday & it's gonna cost me a little more.

RAM is available now, Kingston ValueRAM KVR667D2N5K2/2G, kit of 2X1 GB DDR2 667 modules.

@ Gautam

I like the cabinet, sweet & cute....cweet I would say :D. I will buy a high power PSU later with the graphics card.

16 MB Buffer is good, but I don't need the extra HD space & don't have Rs 1,500 extra. Trust me, even 80 GB is enough if you manage the harddisk like I do. Besides, I m no movie buff.
*computers.listings.ebay.in/Computer-Components_Cabinets_W0QQsacatZ3669QQsocmdZListingItemList
just see that link for some cool looking budget cabinets

and try to go for one that has a lid/cover for the various ports, which are(read: must be) right in the front.

if 80 gig HDD is enuf, then use your old computer's HDD.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Go for a Slim cabinet like this one

*img152.imageshack.us/img152/1235/61326820bd6.jpg

*www.bizrate.com/rd?t=*tracking.sea...3f0e5&oid=708199409&atom=10678&sc=&bid_type=0

Go for a Slim cabinet like this one

*img152.imageshack.us/img152/1235/61326820bd6.jpg

*www.bizrate.com/rd?t=*tracking.sea...3f0e5&oid=708199409&atom=10678&sc=&bid_type=0
ugly.
cabinet is one of the defining elements of a PC's looks.
so he obviously needs to look at good looking cabinet to impress his GFs.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
All those normal cabinets look like elephant to me, Yuck. :rolleyes:

Go Slim and sexy if you want to impress gf. :p

All the branded models like Dell, LG got slim models, and they look uber cool :cool:

All those normal cabinets look like elephant to me, Yuck. :rolleyes:

Go Slim and sexy if you want to impress gf. :p

All the branded models like Dell, LG got slim models, and they look uber cool :cool:
but I think the one saurav chose can easily impress his GF.
*iball.co.in/admin/images/main_img_113.jpg

*iball.co.in/admin/images/main_img_108.jpg

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Everyone's got different tastes :),

We all prefer slim,for example -old days mouse used to be bulky, now all so small so cute. CRT Monitors no sex appeal, LCD's are hot like my gf ;), earlier notebooks now notebooks, see the change. So we all prefer slim, at least i do.

Ok check this.

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/...strodt_200st?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Oh forgot to mention those sever type models are 2 yr old IIRC. And they look good but are kinda odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom