Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I was in the market today to inquire about the price myself. I am getting Intel Pentium E2160 + Intel DG31PR motherboard for a combination price of Rs 6,400, is it worth it?
Why are you buying this proc??? I'd suggest if you can get hold of Core2Duo E4000 series proc its better than this. Both of them lack VT (virtualization). While E2000 series comes with only 1MB cache, E4000 series cmes with 2MB and believe me it does matter!

Just search around and try to get hold of E4000 series proc. And DG33 based mobo for Pentium Dual Core??!!!

I think you've chosen a bad combo! I'd recommend an AMD solution too (get it from somewhere else, if you can or order online). This config just doesn't cut it!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Why are you buying this proc??? I'd suggest if you can get hold of Core2Duo E4000 series proc its better than this. Both of them lack VT (virtualization). While E2000 series comes with only 1MB cache, E4000 series cmes with 2MB and believe me it does matter!

I know it matters but money also matters. I know E4xxx is better but I don't need that much performance so why pay a huge difference.

According to ITWares

E2160 = Rs 3,050
E4300 = Rs 4,550

The difference is 1 MB Cache, & it matters in gaming only. For anything else we do this cache difference is negligible & I have already said that I will hardly be playing games on this computer, sans Solitire & Chess :D

AMD CPU is cheap, but motherboards are not properly available here. Most of them are available on order only. The combination I asked to the shopkeeper was Athlon64 4200+ with Asus M2N-VM DVI motherboard, he gave me HDMI model & cost was Rs 8,000. I will ask tomorrow for the same AMD config in some other shop.

Cost wise both system r similar, but AMD provides more performance at the same cost, this I know but all depends on the availability

Last edited:
^ good board
*www.ocworkbench.com/2007/jetw...692-GDG/g1.htm

Quote:
Category
Score
Performance
8 / 10
Features
8 / 10
Ease Of Installation
9 / 10
Overclocking Features
8 / 10
Documentation
8 / 10
Packaging
8 / 10
Cost/Performance
9 / 10
Overall Rating :
8.3 / 10

and any good processor for it ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
when you are ready to spend about 10k for everything 1k hardly matters. Anyways since you are not gonna run even bare games or do some rendering I guess its ok.

Advantage with AMD is that their procs support VT. But if its for family I fail to understand why are you changing the system? Your current system is just good enuf.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It's 4.5 years old & I can't stand Pentium 4 in the era of C2D :D

I will inquire about the price of AMD tomorrow. If I can get the combination of Athlon64 X2 4200+ with Asus M2N-VM DVI then I will sure opt for that.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
which one of the following wud be a better choice:
1>E2160 + XFX 630i
2>X2 4000+ + MSI K9AGM2

need 1 4 my frnd and he is planning to oc.also either dcombo will hav 2*1GB ram and a XFX 8800GTS 320MB to handle

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
@Choto this is just a makeshift pc.he waitin 4 Nehalem.just wants to play all the games that will be realeasing 4 Neahlem hits the market.so he doesnt want to spend much.maybe he'll sell off the 8800GTS 320MB and get a 9600GT/8800GT 512MB but thats a diff story all together.
as of now just tell me which combo sud i buy.
he wont spend 5k on the mobo.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dude if u want to overclock then u gotta have the IP-35-E board(min. for overclocking) otherwise forget overclocking and run for AMD setup.

About Nehalem core.....then u don't need to wait because either of your hardware will be a total waste.
It will sport DDR3 RAM and LGA 1160. So there is no point of waiting for NEHALEM!

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
About Nehalem core.....then u don't need to wait because either of your hardware will be a total waste.
It will sport DDR3 RAM and LGA 1160. So there is no point of waiting for NEHALEM!

i dont think that my hardware will be a total waste.2day i'm selling off my C2Q Q6600 and XFX 680i for a total price of 23k.so i'll spend bout 5k from that amt and get a mobo+proccy combo and keep the rest and use it when i shall upgrade to Nehalem.
my frnd is selling off his P4 and D102 and getting soomething similar to wat i buy.
when Nehalem arrives i'll just setup a new rig keeping the old one.

i dont think that my hardware will be a total waste.2day i'm selling off my C2Q Q6600 and XFX 680i for a total price of 23k.so i'll spend bout 5k from that amt and get a mobo+proccy combo and keep the rest and use it when i shall upgrade to Nehalem.
my frnd is selling off his P4 and D102 and getting soomething similar to wat i buy.
when Nehalem arrives i'll just setup a new rig keeping the old one.
C2Q Q6600 + 680i for 23k ? you got a really good deal indeed.
and spending 5k from that amount and getting a mobo + proccy is not a bad idea
I think AMD is the only choice you have
but you might get a very good deal with that money.

========================================================
I found this mobo on asus site that retails at 2.5k on theitwares.com:
*in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=498&l4=0&model=1574&modelmenu=1
It has support for intel's core2 range of processors.
I thought it might make a great pair with E2140
But it lacks decent intergrated graphics(GMA 950 sucks)
================================================================
any comments on this one ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom