Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If you have so many doubts then why don't you buy from a store, or from an online store run by an actual retail store: Prime ABGB, IT Depot, SMC, havoknation...

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
Got my Seasonic s2ii520W from snapdeal . Pretty fast shipping I think . And all my doubts are cleared . It was well packaged and working . Do i need to register the product somewhere ? I cant find register option in seasonic website .

And always go for trusted PSU .
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/174386-pc-takes-long-time-load-even-bios.html
My problem is solved now :)

My PSU came with a 2 pin power cable ( without middle earth pin ) . So I reused the old 3 pin power cable . Isn't it the right thing to do ? Or should I use the 2 pin itself ?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok. now I see from where you got the PSU , anyway, congrats ;-) and getting a good UPS is also recommended if you are using one as it can cause some huge PITA sometime.

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
Ok. now I see from where you got the PSU , anyway, congrats ;-) and getting a good UPS is also recommended if you are using one as it can cause some huge PITA sometime.

My current UPS is i-ball nirantat 621 , i think . Didn't see any problem yet .

My PSU came with a 2 pin power cable ( without middle earth pin ) . So I reused the old 3 pin power cable . Isn't it the right thing to do ? Or should I use the 2 pin itself ?

what about this ? ^^^ Anyone ?

No problem in using the 3 pin cable.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

you can use either of them - I've got such 2 pins with PSU and monitor before and used them for years.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
This should be interesting. V 1000 is excellent.

There is also VS series now. No, not Corsair VS Series, Coolermaster VS Series:
*i.imgur.com/9U40b64.jpg
*i.imgur.com/W9m6KBP.jpg
*i.imgur.com/e9mxKhp.jpg
*i.imgur.com/0Yu2pss.jpg
*i.imgur.com/cbyRkLG.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info .. any hints on the price and availability ( time frame ) of the CM V series ?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
aaaah that I am not sure...

FYI, I've heard AX i series are not going to sold in India, possibly due to buggy firmwares. Not surprised if this turned out to be the truth, considering the non i series are not yet phased out for a reason.

If anyone recommending AX series, stick to non i versions.

cadinvent

Broken In
Please deactivate My User Account "tanmayc2d" < Request to Admin.

I request Admin to Please Deactivate my account "tanmayc2d" as I have changed my ID to "cadinvent".
DIGIT Magazine itself suggested Corsair VS 450 PSU and CHIP is suggesting iball PSU that comes bundled with Cabinet < How's That??
Thanks in Advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For it's price point and the amount of power VS450 can deliver it's may be the best compared to many other cheap generic desi psus and about i-ball psu honestly I've no idea but nevere heard of i-ball making quality psus .. at best this can be compared to zebronics platinum series which may be a little better than their other psus but if you have the budget of around ~3k you can get some real quality psus from good brands.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Re: Please deactivate My User Account "tanmayc2d" < Request to Admin.

DIGIT Magazine itself suggested Corsair VS 450 PSU and CHIP is suggesting iball PSU that comes bundled with Cabinet < How's That??

And what's the system configuration that you've given to both of them to get that advice?

cadinvent

Broken In
Re: Please deactivate My User Account "tanmayc2d" < Request to Admin.

And what's the system configuration that you've given to both of them to get that advice?
I didn't gave any PC Specs to both Magazines, DIGIT Published it under KILLER RIGS section (June 2013 issue) and CHIP also published it under similar type of section (July 2013 issue) . In DIGIT's Community page also Ankit Kumar suggested corsair vs 450 PSU; June 2013 issue.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Don't trust both. No1 in India has the right equipments to test power supplies and VS series is meant for India and China, iball is a relabelled chinese sub standard garbage. I doubt any website with the right equipments tested VS series, and since iball is nothing more than a local garbage...

Yeah, I don't have a trust on a lot of corsair units like I used to, except HX and AX non i series like I used to. Antec has seasonic oems, CM now uses seasonic OEMs. We also have seasonic OEMs. With an exception of one of 2 tweaks there isn't much different. I rather prefer if people cough up 1k more on the psu to save headache over questionable/unknown power supplies. Corsair India is banking on their 'brand reputation' to offload crap, and knowing small part of their work ethics atleast towards reviewers I would stay away from it.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Assuming Corsair doesn't change the components and specs on this one eventually like how they did for some power supplies, it should be pretty okay, however going for Antec VP450 is a lot better choice.

VS450 seems to have smaller heatsink and uses capxon capacitors so I wouldn't really recommend it except for low powered systems with onboard gpu and maybe 1-2 drives max. On the bright side, assuming that uses rebadged Unisonic S3515 IC, it should have over voltage protections. But why would Corsair use so many unknown/questionable/rebadged components? You get something better and more reliable for the price. Too bad those FSP units aren't around. Antec VP450 gets more preference from my side.

On another note, its weird to see Corsair VS 450's PCB to be white on one side and green on the other.

Last edited:
Assuming Corsair doesn't change the components and specs on this one eventually like how they did for some power supplies, it should be pretty okay, however going for Antec VP450 is a lot better choice.

VS450 seems to have smaller heatsink and uses capxon capacitors so I wouldn't really recommend it except for low powered systems with onboard gpu and maybe 1-2 drives max. On the bright side, assuming that uses rebadged Unisonic S3515 IC, it should have over voltage protections. But why would Corsair use so many unknown/questionable/rebadged components? You get something better and more reliable for the price. Too bad those FSP units aren't around. Antec VP450 gets more preference from my side.

On another note, its weird to see Corsair VS 450's PCB to be white on one side and green on the other.

What effect does it have?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ eh, I doubt it does. The top layer is most likely white and another pcb added on the bottom which is green, though the PCB doesn't seem to be that thick- or maybe I am over thinking/being paranoid. That's why I said that its weird, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom