Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubusam13

Human
AMD Athlon II X2 3 GHz (but will upgrade to Phenom)
2GB + 4 GB DDR3 RAM
80 GB + 500 GB HDD
AMD HD 5770
2* DVD writers

bubusam13

Human
But he recommended for 500W in this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/142679-gpu-psu-tables.html

And website where I can get them at low cost and COD. TheItDepot demands extra shipping and no COD

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^ what if i buy intel pentium G620 ? it has same 65W TDP ? will it work fine with that psu?

G620 consumes very little power - so it should work fine with the PSU you have but if you can upgrade to a better PSu later ;-)

But he recommended for 500W in this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/142679-gpu-psu-tables.html

And website where I can get them at low cost and COD. TheItDepot demands extra shipping and no COD

Under 3k you can get either Tagan TG500-U37 500W or Corsair CX500v2 ;-)

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
ok, bt what about voltages?? i am currently running pentium D [95W TDP] , can i run athlon II X4 [95W TDP] on same psu?

ameya.gargesh

Broken In
Hi everyone, I could really use some help choosing a PSU for my build.

I have a machine with the following configuration -

Processor - Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard - Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Graphics Card - None (Using onboard graphics)
RAM - Kingston 2x4GB (1333MHz)
HDD - WD 500GB Sata
Optical Drive - Samsung DVD R+W
Cabinet - Zebronics Bijli with PSU

I use this machine for Software development. I am running a couple of Virtual Machines on top of Opensuse 12.1. The machine was running fine for the last year or so but for the last couple of weeks, there has been a strange whirring sound coming from the Power supply. I knew I was taking a risk when I didn't buy a proper PSU (but had budget constraints at the time) and relied on the one that came with the cabinet which normally is pretty crappy. I want to upgrade now to a branded PSU before I burn out some other parts of the machine. I calculated my Power requirements and it comes to somewhere around 290W (with all upgrades I would think of for the next couple of years including a graphics card even though I am not thinking of it now). Given that, which of the following PSU's would you recommend?

Gigabyte Superb RS 460 for 2-2.2K
FSP Saga II 400W for approx 2K
FSP Saga II 500W for approx 2.2K
Antec 350W for approx 2.4K (I am thinking that this will be too close to my existing power requirements)

I am not planning on upgrading this machine with a graphics card as I already have an Xbox 360 for gaming.

I am open to any other suggestions as well. Any place to purchase the PSU would also help. I am currently based in Pune and most of the vendors here are carrying only VIP PSUs. I wouldn't mind buying online

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i am using FSP Saga II 400W. only complain is short length of all the cables. Gigabyte Superb 460W is based on FSP Saga II 500W (most likely its relabelled).

get it from ITWares. check Corsair CX430W V2. it carries 1yr additional warranty over FSP's 2.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ ameya.gargesh - your rig can't consume 290W even with full load - the max power consumption wouyld be around ~160-190W without any gfx card - so if you buy a gfx card later ( having around ~100-130W TDP ) you can safely use it with PSus like FSP Saga II 500 / Corsair CX430v2 but if you plan for some more powerful gfx card get something more powerful ;-)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@ameya
out of the ones you mentioned which are
Gigabyte Superb RS 460 for 2-2.2K
FSP Saga II 400W for approx 2K
FSP Saga II 500W for approx 2.2K
Antec 350W for approx 2.4K
get the Fsp II 500w. Would be better if you change your mind in future about installing a graphic card.

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
You mean the FSP 500w :?: Yes it will easily run the Athlon :D

no i mean my current psu,

i am currently running this config on that PSU

pentium D 2.8GHz [95W TDP]
2 X DDR1 RAM
40GB IDE + 1TB WD green
FX5500 GPU [50-70W TDP]
ODD
450W PSU with 19A on +12V rail

plz check voltages and temps, of above config running on that same psu

*i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/hgps/untitled.jpg

after upgrading i will have

athlon II X3 [95W TDP]
4GB DDR3 1333MHz single stick ram
80GB IDE+ 1TB WD green
ODD
GT240 1GB [70W TDP]
450W PSU with 19A on +12V

is it safe to run above config on same PSU considering my current Pentium D is running fine, and both pentium D and athlon II X3/X4 have same 95W TDP ??

bcoz if its unsafe i will have to buy intel G620 [65W TDP] CPU. as i can't afford new PSU for few months

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you better not use the tri core cpu and GT 240 with the PSu you have howeer as G620 consumes very little power it can be used with the PSu but I would recommend you to buy a AMD apu based rig and get a good gfx card later ;-)

funskar

Padawan
my frnds rig is

i5-2500k
msi z68 gd65 gen
8gb gskill ripjaws 1600mhz ram
1tb seagate hdd+500 seagate hdd+250gb hitachi hdd

he will b adding zotac gtx560 ti n he has corsair vx550 psu
is it safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom