Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Update:

I have removed the list of recommended power supplies for a good reason. Not only that its outdated but also the quality of the newer vx, tx and hx series of corsair power supplies have degraded compared to the older ones. Whether they are still reliable or not is something I can't really say as I've extremely less resources to test/confirm that and its just not possible to get hands on stuff everytime an established model/series gets a new production batch with "minor changes". As far as my trusted source of information through a knowledgible friend goes, vx450's 3v and 5.5v doesn't live upto its usual load and as far as I've seen, TX750's 3.3v, +5v and +12v is overpowered.

All I can say is do your research properly and notice the differences (you can assuming you help others to build systems on "special" occasions) by checking out the overall built quality, the sleeving, the thickness of the wire, the connectors, the power plug (you can never be too careful) and once you're plugged it in a system keep an eye on the rails and make a note of any problem on the fluctuation on idle and load. This is something that a genuine advisor can do it but people who copy-paste other people's advice couldn't. So therefore its best if such people refrain from advising others unless you did a proper research- or else you're simply damaging the community this way. There are websites like jonnyGURU, anandtech and hardware secrets make an effort to do a real and a proper review power supply with proper and proven methodology.

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
Can you recommend me a power supply for the system specs in my sig.
I'm thinking of getting cooler master real power400w
But i want to keep my budget near 3k

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Wat abt FSP Saga II 450 or 500W?Those will also come within 3k,isn't it?Moreover they're the best VFM,aint it?

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Don't know much but as per what I've heard, so far its the fsp 350w viz decent. I don't know anyone who used and tested larger watt units yet. You're getting corsair cx400/EA430/Gigabyte 460 superb and seasonic s12 380 for that price, they are all good units and one or two units will be available easily, what's the point in recommending FSP? VFM means value for money and not "cheap". Not that I am saying its bad, but these units are better and worth for the price, ain't it?

Besides, how many have RMA experiences with FSP? 1....2?? How can one say its value for money without knowing it? I don't recommend stuff that way. As far as I've seen, most of the time corsair and seasonic are replaced rather then repaired (unless its really a minor issue).

Gollum

Collector
I'll see if i can get fsp otherwise i'll go for cooler master or corsair.
Just checked the wattage calculator of cooler master for my system and it showed 409w psu requirement for my system.

Gollum

Collector
Corsair 400cx falls in my budget so i guess i'll go for that. Just can't decide whether i should get it from ebay or local retailer.

vwad

In the zone
A friend of mine has ordered following rig.

MSI 880GMA-E45
AMD Phenom II X4 945
Zotac GTX-460 1GB DDR5

He will be either buying LG 1953T 18.5’’ LCD OR BenQ G922HDL

He is asking me about Corsair VX450 OR VX550 ? what should I tell ?

He is not a gamer, doesn't even know how to OC and all. Only the use he has is for his video authoring and DVD preparation stuff plus some 3D content generation stuff.

vwad

In the zone
i had ordered a lian li extension..and everything is working fine.:)

Yes, I already know that bhai, I was asking about its performance and how much you are satisfied with it like that. I always have one thing in mind that you underplayed by not going for 880GMA-E45 IMHO, I may be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom