Apple treating India as iPhone 4's dumping ground?

Krow

Crowman
Touch Apple within 10 ft pole and already we see sparks fly. Can't we leave the emotional baggage aside and take this rationally ?
Lets call spade a spade here.
Had it been even iphone 4S i would have taken it in spirit. But literally gnawing vying iphone 4 at 26500 Rs through EMI schemes ? Comeon in this game whom are you kidding ?

What if you see Samsung aggressively pushing First Galaxy S on the first Full Page of Leading Newspaper incessantly as if its their premium flagship product only that we know its 2 generations old and not relevant in today's context. Wouldn't your heart sleeve ,"Why now ?".

If a Company advertises its flagship product in a mega way i am willing to understand , but my contention is suddenly when a company starts to advertise their 3 generations old product and in one specify country like its the next great thing happening there, you should accept and acknowledge the fact what the company is doing exactly.

P.S This should not matter but been a iphone user since first iphone to now down the line to iphone 5. I love Apple phones but this is not what i would call sporting.

Debating in this tech forum with all the arsenal of tech knowledge at disposal is easy. But handing mobile 3 generations old for 26500/- Rs to someone who hasn't fair idea of tech scene but takes Apple company on its face value. Ouch !

Stop reading Times of India. Useless publication.

Apple has a great offer running now. You can get the iPhone 4 for Rs 19,500 in exchange for your old smartphone. A colleague exchanged a two-year-old BB Curve that used to hang and lag for a new, discounted iPhone 4. The offer is minimum Rs 7,000 discount, maybe more if the phone is better.

Apple is increasing its presence here if you have not noticed. Last year, iTunes store became available in India. Another piece of evidence is here: Apple wakes up to India's potential; iPhone witnesses four-fold rise in sales in 3 months - Economic Times

Your point about iPhone 4 being expensive is valid, but I think it is a great deal at 19k. Consider this, the phone ships with the latest OS and mostly will get iOS 7. 90% apps on the app store will run on the phone. This isn't something you can say about two-year-old Android phones.

Lastly, I'm not sure why you started this thread because I've seen more iPhone 5 ads than those of iPhone 4.

PS: I've noticed for a long time that every phone thread on this forum is flooded with arguments on which processor is better and other theoretical nonsense. This thread is another great example. I wholeheartedly agree with anyone who says iPhone 4 is too expensive at Rs 26,500, but that does not mean I'll agree with those who bash Apple for the sake of bashing Apple. One guy who'll always make sexist comments (Apple is for dumb girls) and ten others who will compare it to Android phones that haven't launched in India. At the end of the day, the facts are clear. Apple sales have increased 400% in the last six months and will continue to spiral upwards if they have great offers like the Rs 7,000 discount. Most people do not care whether the phone has Android 2.3 or 4.2.2 or iOS 6.1. Apple's UI is simple and works for many, and the brand value is much better. Android is excellent with Nexus phones, but not so much with most others. Apple products are aspirational devices for most people. Since the design is premium, many are willing to spend more for an Apple products. There is more to them than specifications.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
i hates apple. never bought apple never buy apple and always rot apple

see guys news is news, controlled by politicians or industrialists... what do you expect what you read in the newspapers everyday is not "real" news... i am considering any newspaper. Everything is lobbied and censored. So why do you hate Times of India? its better than reading hindustan times.

The problem people have with apple is that why are their dang products sold at such a premium ? as simple as that. for 19k you can get a much better feature rich phone which is based on android

oh and iphone is NOT premium. When the iphone started retailing in america its easily available for 199$ + contract. So for an american its like loose change almost equivalent to buying a micromax. But when you get the same phone in india people have to pay a premium... if that isnt being biased then what is? :lol:

and people rightly make sexist remarks against apple, after all apple isnt the only badass here :p

apple is not the same as owning a Lamborghini in america. it still costs 550,000 $ which is still a big deal there, so i really dont see a reason why apple should have ridiculous pricing schemes where people have to sell their kidneys.... :D :D :D

Last edited:
OP
freshseasons

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Apple iPhone 4 hot in India as sales triple in less than one week

This ^. This is the crux of my arguments here !

Leave aside which is better.Apple or Android. I myself said I prefer Apple and have owned and am using all their models down the line.But this discussion was never about which is preferable.Its about one company targeting a country making it dumping ground. (This has got nothing to do with Times of India or me reading it,its the news and i only happened to use one as a source.It could have been any other.)

Why iphone 4. Why not 4S ? Comon 4 cannot even run Siri, Apples own Voice assistant.With a dual-core Apple A5 processor compared to a single core Apple A4 processor on iphone 4 Apple themselves say 4S is twice as fast with seven times the graphics performance which independent benchmarks and testing also confirm.

With this figures that advertisements rake in i am sure Apple's hands must be itiching to Mega Launch Iphone 3G and 3GS.

^Nailed it man. :)

80% participants of this thread never got your point tbh.

Thanks for understanding.

Krow

Crowman
This ^. This is the crux of my arguments here !

Leave aside which is better.Apple or Android. I myself said I prefer Apple and have owned and am using all their models down the line.But this discussion was never about which is preferable.Its about one company targeting a country making it dumping ground. (This has got nothing to do with Times of India or me reading it,its the news and i only happened to use one as a source.It could have been any other.)

Why iphone 4. Why not 4S ? Comon 4 cannot even run Siri, Apples own Voice assistant.With a dual-core Apple A5 processor compared to a single core Apple A4 processor on iphone 4 Apple themselves say 4S is twice as fast with seven times the graphics performance which independent benchmarks and testing also confirm.

With this figures that advertisements rake in i am sure Apple's hands must be itiching to Mega Launch Iphone 3G and 3GS.

Thanks for understanding.

The point with TOI is that it picks these alarmist headlines for hits. I linked you to a much better researched ET report.

Why iPhone 4 is a question I asked when I saw the discount offer, but then I realised that a phone available for free on contract in the US is pretty expensive in India. Agreed, it doesn't have Siri but half of Siri's features don't work outside US. Logically speaking, if I were to test the waters, I would do it with the cheapest phone.
The company is focusing on India, best to wait and watch if things get better.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Dont think too mch iPhone 4 is available for $0 in us
Compare Nexus prices also

This is apple's strategy, they have consistently been dropping prices of previous models instead of spamming the market with a lineup of 15 devices every year from low end to high end. If anything, everyone else is dumping. This has happen to 3GS an will happen to 5 also.

the iphone 4 is still in production. that's a 3 year old phone and they are still making it, that is why they are different from other oems. Is there a contemporary that's still in production? nope.jpg. These phones last longer than droids, much much longer than even the flagships, so deal with it. iPhone 4 was released in mid 2010, so was the Samsung Galaxy S.

now as a thought experiment, what would happen if Apple was not selling the 4 in India, then people would still be riled up and angry, and still hate apple irrationally, and say why Apple is still selling 4 in US and not selling it in India. Passtimes of India would still find an alarmist slant.

And it's not just features, there is also the content in the ecosystem. Android does not have all the apps or all the alternatives, or the accessories. 4 times as many devs slave on ios as for droids. Apple also has exclusive digital distribution rights for some content, the stuff is not available on Play or Amazon. iTunes Originals has Weezer, Moby, 3 Doors Down and Goldfrapp among others.

also, this.

*i.imgur.com/rNm9pAD.jpg

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
How about micromax's awesome customer service ?
You may read a thread named "why no micromax" on TE forum to get insights in to this chinese rebranding company.

Well, you should compare the price between the two :D. Rs. 26500 vs Rs. 10000. 3.5" vs 5". Apple customers will have to listen what Professor Apple has to say each and everytime. It's MIT university. Whereas people also get degrees from Lovely University :p.
When people can withstand Apple's arbitrariness then they can also face the hardships of micromax.

nginx

In the zone
You can thank all the sheep who are willing to sell their soul to buy an overpriced junk phone for this turn of event. There are no shortage of people in India who think owning an iPhone will make them the coolest person on the planet. Apple is rightly cashing in on the hype. Who can blame them? Their business is built on taking advantage of such people with glitter in their eyes. Just look at the price tag of the iPhone 5 in India :lol:

Top Bottom