Apple treating India as iPhone 4's dumping ground?

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
How often have you woken up to the Front page New on, Times of India about easy way of owning the iPhone now ? Its too incessant bombardment on your senses of getting that ultimate mobile, the uber nome status.

That ,until you read the fine print only too know, its 3 years old generation iphone 4 almost a fossil in technology up-gratis rush. The world has already moved to iphone 4s way back with 5 now ruling the roost. Why Exactly is Apple dumping this to Indians...?

For, while the Apple CEO kowtowed in China with a promise of superior service, the company is misreading the Indian market by pushing a three-year-old product — a relic in tech terms, and one that has lost its lure in Europe and US that have upgraded to iPhone 4S, then iPhone 5, and are now waiting for the next generation — possibly, as rumours go, in a variety of colours, different sizes and low cost.

Turning India into a dumping ground for out-of-fashion phones and pushing an old model in a competitive price bracket, when other brands are aggressively positioning their new products, is not the best strategy. It is only reflective of Apple's disdain, one that flourished under Steve Jobs, for India — a showcase for its end-of-life products rather than a destination for premium gadgets.

Source:Apple treating India as iPhone 4's dumping ground? - The Times of India

For me who is an Apple fan...this is nothing short of disgusting squeezing the last penny :(

Superayush

Tech lover
Don't you worry child apple will be getting what it deserves with already Samsung crushing apple :) and sony catching up too ....if apple doesn't really bring new innovations/concept into game instead of increasing screen size it will become the victim of "no empire lasts forever" :)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Don't you worry child apple will be getting what it deserves with already Samsung crushing apple :) and sony catching up too ....if apple doesn't really bring new innovations/concept into game instead of increasing screen size it will become the victim of "no empire lasts forever" :)

As long as there are dumb Americans and dumb girls,Apple will live forever.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
eh im still using the 3GS, its not a fossil at all, prolly my apps are worth more than the 4
friend just checked out L9, 620, miro, sola and nexus 4, settled for second hand iphone 4 and very happy with it (I was pushing for the L9)

am surprised they stopped selling the 3GS, these phones dont date as quickly as other tech, the 3GS was in production till last year, don't forget that

Flash

Lost in speed
Apple CEO Tim Cook already said "Apple thinks its not a big enough market (India) for Apple."
So, its not a surprise now.

Where are the iBoys (to the rescue)? :mrgreen:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^yepo, he said that their opportunities for growth are in other markets, but that has nothing to do with the version of the device, more about the services for the device
the multimedia offerings are severely crippled, and to be honest, we are not that kind of market yet

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
huh, first we should be willing to see apps as a worthwhile investment, more so than a costly phone. when I went to the store, that guy was pushing android over the Lumia 620 just because the apps on android are free. told him two things, first its a 16k phone, what is a 50 rupee app? and then, a paid app is def better than a free app. he told me not everyone thinks like that, and I believe he is right. that is the logic that would work for the kind of mentality here. once we go beyond this step, we can start thinking of paying for subscription based services.

these devices have an incredibly long product life cycle. deal with it.

btw, 4 is still available in US, so whats the big deal?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^haha there might be some truth in that, Jobs wanted a crash course in ancient wisdom, instead he found poverty and diarrhea

Why Steve Jobs’ love affair with India ended very, very early

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What I don't get is, why is there so much hullabaloo in the media whenever Apple does something? For God's sake, its just a phone. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
TOI is the most alarmist, irresponsible publication out there. it's a tabloid in broadsheet guise. they copy paste interviews from international publications with their own bylines, and they even posted uncensored paparazzi snaps of wardrobe malfunctions, in a national daily. pathetic.

Sarath

iDota
The iPhone 4 is a pretty cool phone. I was actually considering it myself. The iPhone 4 with the iOS 4.x was a really good smartphone w.r.t. battery life etc mostly.

I find the new age iPhone 4S and 5 to fare poorly in comparison with Android since my fav thing about iOS was the battery life it offered along with the quality apps. Today that is pretty much levelled.

Still I do not understand the vent when iPhone 4, 4S and the new 5 are all sold in India.

Top Bottom